Re-freshing a 1996 Parker 23 DVCC

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodChance

Reaction score
After selling the 2801, I wanted to get a smaller 23cc and thought of many different hulls that I had either previously owned or rode upon ranging from 23 SeaCraft to 25 SeaVee and even considered a Regulator and Contender. But for many reason, I wanted a 23 Parker (stability, dry, fuel efficiency, huge deck space, strength, simplicity). I looked at virtually every website for a reasobaly priced 23DVCC and was largely unsuccessful until I placed a "WTB" posting on THT and a was alerted to a 23 in Virginia Beach. I spoke to the broker (I typically don't like brokers but this one was pretty good and actually served me quite well). So on the 25th of August, after my wife cooked a dinner of Maryland style crabcakes with backfin meat shipped from Smith Island, MD, I left the Florida house at 6pm bound for VA Beach. After a 5 hour stop at my best buddy's house in Jacksonville, I arrived in Virginia at 2pm. Did a quick inspection of the boat/motor/trailer ...... paid the $$ and headed south by 3pm.

The 2008 Yamaha F250 is flawless with 315hours. Trailer is much better than expected (all stainless steel hardware, new lights). The boat had a "soft area behind the leaning post" as described by the broker. My plan was to use the boat "as-is" until the winter and I'd tackle the project in the cooler FL months. So we started using the boat the first week I returned home.

Attachments

• Resized 1.jpg
    Resized 1.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 804
  • Resized 3.jpg
    Resized 3.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 804
  • Resized 4.jpg
    Resized 4.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 804
  • Resized 5.jpg
    Resized 5.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 803
....... but the soft spot was really irritating me. I'm OCD on everything boat related being perfect so the planned December project was moved to early September. The small soft area is always bigger than expected...... what was advertised as "2x3ft" was actually double. What was actually soft and wet turned out to be the width of the boat and about 6ft long (front to back). I got the bad cut out and cut a section of 3/4" fir plywood to replace the largest of the two sections before Irma showed up in my backyard (literally).

Fortunately my neighbor has a huge enclosed barn that we stuck the Parker until after Irma passed.

Attachments

• Deck-up.jpg
    Deck-up.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 806
  • Deck up 2.jpg
    Deck up 2.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 806
  • Deck-down.jpg
    Deck-down.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 806
  • Irma.png
    Irma.png
    131.4 KB · Views: 803
A couple of side projects that need addressing ........ one is replacing all of the plastic thru-hull fitting and the 19 year old hose clamps and rubber hoses.

Lots of things impress me about Parker ...... one of them is the 5/8" hull thickness on the sides of the boat. My old 1972 Potter SeaCraft wasn't that thick on the bottom.

Attachments

• Thru-hull removal.jpg
    Thru-hull removal.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 801
  • thru-hull 2.jpg
    thru-hull 2.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 801
  • thru-hull 3.jpg
    thru-hull 3.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 801
Congrats on the new to you ride, she's looking good! I know you said you were going to relace the thru hulls and hoses but in addition I would suggest replacing all the fuel system hoses as well. When I just refreshed my 2000 2110 the fuel fill hose was showing signs of dry rot. It wasn't leaking yet but it wasn't gonna be long. Maybe you intended to do that anyway, but it wasn't clear in your post. Just thought I would throw it out there in case you hadn't thought about it. Good luck with the ol' girl!

Yes WW ..... I already replaced the fuel hoses as well as both livewell hoses.

Looks nice. Where did your through hulls come from i am also goining to look to replace them on my 18.

All my stainless steel fittings come from Gemlux in Jacksonville. Made in the USA. Very high quality stuff. And you buy factory direct so the costs are very reasonable. Plus, they have a 35% off discount if you use the code "THT35off".

The units with 90's on them work better at keeping the hoses looking neat and creating the proper loop for the thruhulls.

Coming right along. 8)

If you need any of the "original" Parker beige gelcoat, Central Marine has a quart on the back shelf in the parts area. Talk to Ryan.

Funny you say that Jim as I am literally getting ready to order 2 quarts from Central Marine.

The finished product looks pretty good. Floor is done. Entire deck was re-gelcoated. And new non-skid applied.

I replaced the Parker logo decals, compounded/waxed the hull, installed a Bomar aluminum deck hatch, as well as replaced all of the OEM plastic thru-hull fittings with Gemlux SS. And all of the factory OEM wiring and electrical system has been replaced and updated to modern standards. And I built a new anchor pulpit ...... I thought about buying a factory OEM pulpit but I don't like the appearance of the OEM pulpit on a 21 or 23 hull ..... the pulpit is too long and out of proportions on these smaller boats. So it took me a few hours to fabricate a custom-fitted pulpit that (IMO) looks and functions well on the 23.

Some of the electronics have been replaced although I want to get past Christmas before installing an autopilot and new Furuno 585/588 sonar.

A new Permatrim hydrofoil has been installed and I've been playing with different props (discussed in a different thread)

The boat is being used weekly

Nice boat!! While I would rather not have the forward seating in a 23 DVCC, the family really likes the large, elevated deck. And to help me better accept the forward seating aspect of the boat, I'm in the process of insulating the forward storage boxes so that I can effectively hold ice and dead fish.

Attachments

• IMG_6536.JPG
    IMG_6536.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_6535.JPG
    IMG_6535.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_6620.JPG
    IMG_6620.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_6614.JPG
    IMG_6614.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 420
looking good ! have any pictures of the new deck and hatch ? ill bee redoing my non skid this winter so be interested in how you did your just looking to get as much info on the non skid from everyone as i can before i do mine thanks

I used factory-match gelcoat on the floor. Laid 1 coat with a roller and used a salt-shaker method to apply the non-skid material (I used Awlgrip's Griptex course). Let it dry. then applied a second coat (light coat, thinned with isopropyl) to seal the nonskid

But if I were to do it again, I'd use Awlgrip oyster white. Roll it on. Salt shaker. Then a day later apply a 2nd coat.

Awlgrip is so much easy to work with as opposed to gelcoat.

Nice works. Do you have any pics of the deck and new hatch? I really need to redo my deck non skid this spring and considering replacing my main bilge hatch.

Back