Cockpit Safety Lights on New Parkers and DNR

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnkn

Reaction score
Well, I was fishing this evening and as it got later I turned on my Nav lights as well as the interior cockpit blue safety lights as I always do. These lights come standard on some new Parkers, they are situated directly above the gunwall steps going fore and aft. Enter DNR.. I was told that no colored lights may be visible at any time unless tied to the dock. I explained that they are a factory installed safety feature , they are interior safely lights illuminating the steps. Response was "I don't care' . So I asked him, 'so no colored lights can be visible from outside the boat'? "correct" was the response. I went forward and turned on the red/white overhead cabin light to red and asked him about those as most all cabin boats seem to have them. His only response was "I'm going to do you a favor and not write you a warning, if I ever see them again I'm writing you a $85 ticket. Funny, He didn't say a word about the inflatable fanny pack preserver I was wearing, or the AutoTether to shut down the motors clipped to it, or the EPIRB clipped to it.

I understand that you can't hang a bunch of colored lights outside the boat, The cabin light is red and turns the entire cabin red, my chartplotters are blue, I's sure they are visible from a distance.

So anyone have a pointer to the USCG statute? I would have to believe that Parker would only install them if legal.

thanks

thanks
John

Here's what I found:

USCG Amalgamated Navigation Rules
PART C - LIGHTS AND SHAPES
Rule 20 - Application Return to the top of the page

(a) Rules 20-31 shall be complied with in all weathers.

(b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.
(c) The lights prescribed by these Rules shall, if carried, also be exhibited from sunrise to sunset in restricted visibility and may be exhibited in all other circumstances when it is deemed necessary.

(d) The Rules concerning shapes shall be complied with by day.

(e) The lights and shapes specified in these Rules shall comply with the provisions of Annex I of these Rules.

the underlines are mine.... the Rules call out the red/green bow light as well as the 360* white mast light. IMHO blue interior cockpit lights do not violate that rule, they are not red/green/white....

I found this on the Maryland DNR site:

Vessel operators must make sure that their vessels are equipped with the proper navigation lights and use the lights during these conditions:•When away from the dock between sunset and sunrise
•During periods of restricted visibility, such as fog or heavy rain
No other lights that may be mistaken for required navigation lights may be exhibited. Note: Blue or red flashing lights are restricted to use by law enforcement vessels only. The required navigation lights differ depending on the type and size of your vessel. The common lighting configurations for recreational vessels are discussed in this course. For other configurations and requirements for larger vessels, see the U.S. Coast Guard’s Navigation Rules

The USCG defines a flashing light as one that flashes 120 times per minute.

Cross the Gulf Stream from to the Bahamas at night and you will see cruise ships lit up so brightly that you can't find the running lights. It looks like a small city floating by!

His interpretation of the rules is incorrect.
As Bobby said, he would not win in court. He was just stroking his own ego.

The DNR Police officer is clearly incorrect in his interpretation.

I've challenged MD DNR police on these issues in the past in County court. The judge undressed the officer.

GoodChance":15mnczjf said:
I've challenged MD DNR police on these issues in the past in County court. The judge undressed the officer.

That had to be terribly embarrassing for the officer, I bet he wont make that mistake again :oops:

Back