Buying a boat with motor corrosion

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seoneill

Reaction score
Hey Parker People!

I am the owner of an 07 1801, looking at moving up for next year. My daughter will be old enough to come out and enjoy it with me, which means my wife will be coming a bunch too! Anyhow, they like the idea of a cabin a whole lot. I found a 2006 23 WA I want to check out that checks all the fishing/family boxes for me, and I would like to stay with Parker.

My issue is that the 250 Yamaha 4S hanging off the back apparently had the corrosion issue. Dealer says the exhaust leg has been replaced. Obviously I'm going to ask for the service records, but what else should I be looking for when I check out the engine? Can the corrosion issue cause major problems elsewhere? I know my 115 4S pretty well, but I'm not a mechanic. I do the filters and fluids, winterization, spark plugs, etc, but anything past that I have the shop do. So, what am I looking for? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

-Sean

If the issue was discovered, repaired, and documented, you should be good to go.
I've not heard of the corrosion issue affecting other parts of the motor, but that would be a question for a Yamaha certified mechanic.

Megabyte":2ulvhrfr said:
If the issue was discovered, repaired, and documented, you should be good to go.
I've not heard of the corrosion issue affecting other parts of the motor, but that would be a question for a Yamaha certified mechanic.
Had my mine done . shaft gasket in oil pan replaced with speedii sleeve. Pan leakage was the issue but had corroison spots but no holes . Dealer discounted parts n labor. He was on.front line n Yamaha was ignoring customers.. he treated us fairly n mechanic done many

B2

Actually, you should probably feel lucky. You found the boat you want and the exhaust issue is already taken care of. Your probably better off than most buying a boat with mid 2000’s Yamaha in your hp range. I would be more worried buying that boat if it had not already been done. Anyway, still get it checked out by surveyor but you should be good to go. Good luck

I would be very careful. There have been many who lost their motors due to corrosion extending even into the powerhead - and their lack of response to an obvious manufacturing defect tells you a lot about how Yamaha stands by its products.

In a few cases, the corrosion of 2000-2005 model year Yamaha 225 and 250's COULD extend into the oil pan leading to an engine failure but these are not widespread.

The vast majority of corrosion issues are isolated to the parts within the dry exhaust. As long as these defective parts (bad metallurgy from the original supplier) have been replaced and updated, you have very little to fear....... actually, you should be pretty darn happy.

If the motor has over 1,000 hours, I'd also ask to see receipt evidence that the oil pump was also replaced while the powerhead was removed.

Lastly ...... the F225 and F250 3.3liter engines are fantastic and very reliable.

Thanks for the info ya'll, I'm seeing the boat next week and will check back in.

It developed a pinhole leak in the block that we cleaned up and patched and it's running smoothly but I fear it's on borrowed time. I flushed it for quite a while after every use so I'm pretty bummed this happened. It has had the exhaust kit installed a couple years ago proactively by a Yamaha facility."
From capt.nick
Ask what other parts were checked / replaced during the exhaust work. just because the exhaust was re-worked doesn't mean you're out of the woods with a corroded motor....

When I spoke to the dealer where I bought the 225FS new he asked if I had the exhaust problem fixed. I told him yes and he stated that's good because that's an expensive fix. I told him I had it done by certified Yamaha facility and told him what I paid. He promptly told me they just did the kit for that price. He further explained when they pull one apart to do the repair they inspect as best they can to see if the corrosion has gone beyond the exhaust system. He told me that he has seen cases where the corrosion has gone so far that he's told customers not to waste their money on the kit. He also said that they replace a lot of parts while they're in there beyond what the kit includes. He said my problem could have been caused by the corrosion going beyond what the kit replaced. So the service records are the best indication of how the repair was done. A friend of mine paid $3800 for the job while I paid $1900. On my repair paperwork there was no mention or charge for anything other than the kit. If it doesn't appear on the receipt for the work done it wasn't done. They failed to tell me or give me the option to go beyond that beforehand. My ignorance may have cost me the loss of my motor. You would think you could trust a certified Yamaha facility to do the complete fix since most of us are not mechanics. Lesson learned but an expensive one.

You would think you could trust a certified Yamaha facility to do the complete fix since most of us are not mechanics.

Yes, an authorized Yamaha tech should know what to look for and has the tools to see it. A Yamaha shop I know recently estimated this work at $2500. but specified what components outside of the exhaust "kit" that would also be replaced as a preventative measure. they don't want the motor coming back to bit'em.

TWOBOATER":3n8bd4nc said:
You would think you could trust a certified Yamaha facility to do the complete fix since most of us are not mechanics.

Yes, an authorized Yamaha tech should know what to look for and has the tools to see it. A Yamaha shop I know recently estimated this work at $2500. but specified what components outside of the exhaust "kit" that would also be replaced as a preventative measure. they don't want the motor coming back to bit'em.
Ours was repaired and needed additional items after tear down but wasn't a big deal. Sim Yamaha has a kit and it is a lot of labor
You might service lower unit n water pump yourself. Replace plugs, thermostats, other items to save money
Prop can be removed and serviced if needed

B2

Back