putting a new 250-300hp FS Yamaha on 2004 xl

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captnick

Reaction score
I'm thinking of hanging a new motor on my 2004 xl. I'm the original owner and the boat is solid, but the motor may need a power head. I plan on keeping the boat for another three years if I repower it and sell it with time remaining on warrantee. I hate to put 10K into a 14 year old motor for a power head and possibly a starter. If I try to sell the boat with no motor I'm going to take a big hit. What do you think? Is it worth putting a new motor on this boat and using it for 3 more years or cut my losses and get what I can for the boat?

If the current motor is wounded, and $10k is a reasonable estimate, how much more for a new motor (hung and out the door)?

I'm going to make a few visits to a couple of dealers today to get pricing on 250 or 300hp Yamahas new. I'm expecting to hear 25-30K but hoping for less. I could probably get a Suzuki for less. I'll post here when I know. Have there been any issues with the aluminum fuel tanks rotting? I don't want to spend a lot of $$ on a new motor and have to tear out the floor and put a new tank in anytime soon.

If you keep the under deck area dry and ventilated, those aluminum fuel tanks will last about forever.
It is only when you allow moisture in (and trap it), that you can see tank issues.

If you have a dealer nearby, also look at Tohatsu.
Their high horsepower outboards are simply Honda's painted black and re-branded.

A couple of years ago my buddy got a 1yer old New Suzuki 250 APX $18,000 out the door [installed]

This was in centeral Fl. He traveled on Sunday...Got a motel....Had the boat at the dealer before 8am on Monday....By 5pm it was out the door....all pre arranged

Look around online for a deal....you probable will have to travel with it.

Fuel tanks are always a crap shoot. Only one way to get a full inspection and that is remove the tank from the boat....No one is going to do that. On average....You have at least another 10yrs on it.

Megabyte":36nfegwf said:
If you have a dealer nearby, also look at Tohatsu.
Their high horsepower outboards are simply Honda's painted black and re-branded.
I friend of mine has a 250hp Tohatsu I've been out in and he told me the same thing about it being a Honda basically. Resale might not be as easy since some people might not like the brand name. I know he got a hell of a good price @15K-17K for a leftover. It sounds like a sewing machine. If I could save a few thousand it might be a good fit. Right now the Yammys are offering 6 years warrantee which would be a selling point in a couple years.

I'm leaning toward the Yamaha F 300hp since the dealer stated only $1600 more than 250hp. I can use the same controls if he can get the 300 model that which uses the old style cable set up. If not I'd have to consider the 250hp to save the 2-3K for the fly by wire + $1600 less for the 250. Another consideration for cable throttle system is that the "fly by wire" is pretty touchy and takes some getting used to. I piloted a Parker with the 300 and fly by set up. The slip where I keep the boat is very tight and I have to put my bow inches away from the boats on the opposite side before backing in. If I go with another brand the re rigging cost would diminish the savings considerably. I have faith in the Tohatsu(black Honda) but on resale in 2-3 years might be a hard sell to people who don't realize what it is. I'm still getting quotes.

captnick":m145o599 said:
I have faith in the Tohatsu(black Honda) but on resale in 2-3 years might be a hard sell to people who don't realize what it is. I'm still getting quotes.

That would be a concern for me as well, however...
I showed a boat at the Annapolis Boat Show some years back for BOE Marine when Tohatsu was just getting into the market.

Had a bunch of people who questioned the motor, so I took the cowl off to expose the powerhead.
The motor said "Honda" everywhere, including on the helm where the key switch was located. :)
Caused a lot of folks to go Hmmmmmmmmmmm......

BOE Marine had been a Honda dealer for years, and now also sell and rigs Tohatsu.
If my OX66 had ever needed to be replaced, I would have considered Tohatsu.

I got some quotes from two dealers on 300hp & 250hp FS Yamahas with cable set up instead of fly by. The cheapest quotes were $21K for the 300hp and $19500 for the 250hp. The other dealer quoted $27500 for 300hp and $24045 for the 250hp. The 250 Tohatsu was $18500 all before taxes. Do you think the 300hp is worth the extra $1500?

Megabyte":1uwb2awy said:
captnick":1uwb2awy said:
Do you think the 300hp is worth the extra $1500?

Does the 300 require premium fuel to generate 300 hp?
Both motors require 89 octane. It amazes me that the dealer I bought 2 new Parkers from wants to charge me $4500 more for the 250hp and $6000 more for the 300 than a stranger I haven't even met with yet. Several of my friends have dealt with this guy for years and I'm comfortable with him. Some of the big boat dealers seem to have so much business they don't care if you buy or not. Plus the salesman wants to get a fat cut too. The lower quote came right from the owner of the facility so there is no middle man(salesman) to grease. The big dealer let a week go by just to give me a quote and even then I had to call him back to get it. The guy I'm going to buy from called me multiple times during that same time period.

I know this is a Parker site and as such has a lot of loyal Yamaha owners. But if you are wanting an engine that will make that boat come alive you should go somewhere and try one of the new G2 300 etecs. We have a group of 15 of us who have our private dive group with 5 boat among us including (2) 2520 Parkers. ONe of the Parkers is mine and I have been running a 250 G1 Etec on it. The other Parker has 300FS Yami on it. Not much difference in the performance of the 2 other than the 300 runs about 3mph faster, the 250 has a quicker one plane time. However I recently put a G2 300 on my boat. It is like a completely new boat. My 250 with a light load would top at about 36mph an the 300 would run the other boat about 39 with a similar light load. With a heavy load they both lost substantial speed. The G2 gave me a light load speed of 43 mph and a heavy load cruise speed of 28-30 and a WOT speed of 38mph. My fuel economy is 2.2 at cruise and 1.8 at WOT. Not sure what the cruise economy is on the 300 but his WOT is 1.1. The G1 cruise was 1.6 and 1.1 WOT. Throttle response on the G2 is incredible which was lacking on the 250 and 300.

Back