250 hp Yamaha vs. 300 hp repower resale value

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captnick

Reaction score
Do you think there is a significant difference in resale value or potential buyer interest between a Yamaha 300 hp vs 250 hp? There would be @ $1600 difference in price. Same question about cable vs fly by wire controls which would be a $3000 difference. I'm repowering and planning to sell in @2years. I could use that $4600 to do other improvements on the boat.

It would help to know the specifics of the boat. What is the boat? What hp motor is on there now? A 250 hp motor on a heavier boat will leave it underpowered and less than desirable when compared to a 300 hp configuration.

I think you answered your own question. Like most if I was presented with two identical parkers one with a 250 and one with a 300 and wire and a $4,000 difference, Im taking the 250 with money to spare. Either way you repower, it is my opinion if you are planning on selling in two years your going to take a loss. That's a lot of money to shell out for two years of use. If you must repower I would try to find the most economical choice. You decide to keep the boat for many years of use, install what makes you happy. Just my honest opinion. Good luck Mike

I would have to agree with HOTPURSUIT. If I were looking for a used boat and my options are as you described, I would take the one that was $4k less as long as the engine on it was plenty of HP for the boat. You haven't mentioned which boat it is but 250HP is normal choice for any of the larger Parkers that have single motors. Also as mentioned, that's a lot of $ for 2 years use. Have you looked at late model used motors, it may be a better choice for what you are trying to accomplish. I have recently seen some 25-20 year old 2520s with new motors for the low $30ks. That basically means they are selling the boats for 10-12k with the motors recently costing them upwards of $20+k. Just a thought for you, good luck.

HokieSailor":1yx3r11v said:
It would help to know the specifics of the boat. What is the boat? What hp motor is on there now? A 250 hp motor on a heavier boat will leave it underpowered and less than desirable when compared to a 300 hp configuration.
It's a 2004 2520XL w/225FS Yamaha. I don't think there's much difference in performance.
HOTPURSUIT":1yx3r11v said:
I think you answered your own question. Like most if I was presented with two identical parkers one with a 250 and one with a 300 and wire and a $4,000 difference, Im taking the 250 with money to spare. Either way you repower, it is my opinion if you are planning on selling in two years your going to take a loss. That's a lot of money to shell out for two years of use. If you must repower I would try to find the most economical choice. You decide to keep the boat for many years of use, install what makes you happy. Just my honest opinion. Good luck Mike
I'm repowering because the existing 225 needs a power head and I'm not paying north of 10K to fix a 14 yr old motor when I can get a new 250hp for $20738 installed after tax. I was offered $2000 for the old motor which gets me down to $18738. No one seems interested in the boat as is. I would expect to be able to get 30K if I sell with time left on the warrantee. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd have to give the boat away otherwise. I see the same vintage XL's on Boats.com with new power with asking prices for a heck of a lot more than $30K. I appreciate your replies. There really isn't a good way out of this situation, but I'm trying to find the best. If I could get 12K for the boat as is I'd probably take it and call it a wash.

Captnick, with the added information I may take back some of what I said, I own a 2003 2520XL so I am somewhat aware of the value in the NE where I live and with 1575 Hrs on my motor I may be in your shoes shortly, but I'm hoping I get a few more years out of it. I believe if you put a new 225 or 250 you will have no problem selling the boat for around $38,000.00 as long as it is in good condition, I believe at $ 32,000.00 which sounds like a break even number, it would be gone in a heartbeat., so I take back the loss statement. But I would still keep the replacement as economic as possible. Mike

Capt Nick, I think I wasn't clear. I believe your boat alone is worth well more than $12k (especially now knowing its a 2004). In fact, I was just trying to imply that a really good used motor (maybe something like this https://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-foru ... aft-2.html), for about $10k and in 2 years you will easily get $30+k but have invested 1/2 of a new one. My earlier comparison was for 25 year old boats, not 12-13 years old.

By the way, if you are really serious about selling your boat for 12K I am sure it wouldn't last a week. If I could sell my 2320 quick enough I would love to have it. Best of luck. By the way, that motor I linked you to has nothing to do with me, just one I saw on THT.

Note that there IS a difference in a DF-300 and a DF-300AP

The AP has low water pick up.....Fly By Wire controls.....Selective direction rotation....[Yes 1 motor can be made to turn Right or left]

MadGar":1ufmtzke said:
Capt Nick, I think I wasn't clear. I believe your boat alone is worth well more than $12k (especially now knowing its a 2004). In fact, I was just trying to imply that a really good used motor (maybe something like this https://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-foru ... aft-2.html), for about $10k and in 2 years you will easily get $30+k but have invested 1/2 of a new one. My earlier comparison was for 25 year old boats, not 12-13 years old.

By the way, if you are really serious about selling your boat for 12K I am sure it wouldn't last a week. If I could sell my 2320 quick enough I would love to have it. Best of luck. By the way, that motor I linked you to has nothing to do with me, just one I saw on THT.
MadGar, Thanks for the link. I like the idea of new with warrantee and if I sell with time left on the warrantee I think it would help at resale. I don't want any surprises with a used motor. I thought my 2004 225 would last more than 1000 hours too.

I thought my 2004 225 would last more than 1000 hours too.

Just my opinion. Your boat was underpowered from day one...So every time you ran it, you had to push it harder.

Latest posts

Back