Hull running inefficient

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJB12/83

Reaction score
I have a 2015 2520XLD with a F300 and a permatrim. On Parkers website it says this boat will hit 40 MPH when maxed out and I’m only getting 30kts max at 5300 rpm’s. This leads me to believe my boat isn’t running as efficiently as possible. I’ve raised the motor holes to stop cavitation and the hull is clean. This was checked at slack on a dead calm day. Anyone seeing the same performance or have any resolutions.

WOT 5300 on a f300? You might be over propped. You should be able to hit 6000 with 1/2 fuel and 2-3people on board.

How many bars are you trimming the motor? Tabs all the way up of course I assume? No offense, just making sure we check the basics. How many hours on motor? Thermostats ever been changed, plugs? That is to low a speed and rpm though. Something is up?

JJB12/83":mz97n9od said:
I have a 2015 2520XLD with a F300 and a permatrim. On Parkers website it says this boat will hit 40 MPH when maxed out and I’m only getting 30kts max at 5300 rpm’s. This leads me to believe my boat isn’t running as efficiently as possible. I’ve raised the motor holes to stop cavitation and the hull is clean. This was checked at slack on a dead calm day. Anyone seeing the same performance or have any resolutions.
Can't help except you set motor height then look at Prop. What are you running?

B2

JJB12/83":15cifxfq said:

Things that will help a Parker run more level in the water is to move any thing that can be carried fwd...... forward.

You should be running a 17p or close. 19p is too much.

FWIW the higher you raise the motor with a Permatrim, the less effective the Permatrim is at raising the stern.

Do not believe the performance numbers Parker posts on the 2520s. My 2016 2520XL w/300 was listed as topping out at 46mph. Light load, half fuel and running on the pegs it would run 39 with fresh bottom paint and very, very occasionally barely hit 40. Parker looked at it, tried multiple props with zero change. Their fuel economy numbers and speed at 4000 wasn't close to reality either. That's why I no longer own that boat.

My 2015 2520 XLD came with a Yamaha Saltwater Series II 3 blade and I was able to hit 42 MPH @ 5800 rpm. I changed my prop to a Power Tech 4 blade and get much better mid range numbers but lost a little off the top end as I can hit 39-40 mph @ 56-5700 RPM

225 OX66 on a 1996 bracketed hull... (for comparison)

First thing I did was to raise the motor one hole from the top.
Next, I put on a Merc Mirage plus 17 P, 3-blade stainless prop.
WOT on semi-flat water was 33.9 knots (39.01142 mph) at about 5200 rpm with 4 people, all gear and about 100 gals of fuel in July.

Remember, my hull was the older 14 degree dead rise 2520.
The newer 16 degree hulls might not be as fast, but this gives some figures (and photos) to go by.

Attachments

• 24Apr 001.jpg
    24Apr 001.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 526
  • DSCN0007.jpg
    DSCN0007.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 526
  • Photo Library - 332.jpg
    Photo Library - 332.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 526
While I think it is kind of cool that my 2801 will hit 63 mph, that speed is meaningless to me. The thing I like the best is the thing I like about all of my Parkers and that is how well they go slow. My current parker slow cruise is 35mph/3500rpm (2.1 mpg) and fast cruise is 45mph/4500rpm (1.8 mpg). And the best of all is going effortlessly on plane riding level at 20mph and being dry with no pounding. Simply awesome........something a Contender cannot do (I fish on one).

Kev, the Mirage plus is great prop. Nowadays on the newer parkers the SDS Yamaha (shift dampening system) props are amazing. Smooth as silk with no more clunking.

Yes tabs all the way up, plugs and thermostat have been changed and about 350 hours on the motor. I also raised the motor after the permatrim was installed.

Lucky John what night is you motor mounted, I don’t get near those numbers and mines mounted on the third so it’s one from being all the way up.

I will take a look and see what hole it's mounted at in am. With the 4 blade prop I pop up faster on plane and hold speed at lower rpm with better fuel consumption but I do not have a permatrim.

grouperjim":22620q6t said:
While I think it is kind of cool that my 2801 will hit 63 mph, that speed is meaningless to me. The thing I like the best is the thing I like about all of my Parkers and that is how well they go slow. My current parker slow cruise is 35mph/3500rpm (2.1 mpg) and fast cruise is 45mph/4500rpm (1.8 mpg). And the best of all is going effortlessly on plane riding level at 20mph and being dry with no pounding. Simply awesome........something a Contender cannot do (I fish on one).

Kev, the Mirage plus is great prop. Nowadays on the newer parkers the SDS Yamaha (shift dampening system) props are amazing. Smooth as silk with no more clunking.

I agree with grouperjim...these boats are just like magic at low speed. Mine runs 60+ but I really enjoy the effortless slow ride and effortless maneuverability of my boat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree they’re great at low speed but between work and kids my time is limited so it would be nice to get offshore faster would mean more time fishing.

Do what I did and sell the 2520 and buy a 28 with T300s. More room, better ride, much more speed across the board and better fuel economy. Good luck...

That's great if you have a boat load of cash at your disposal but unfortunately most people don't.....

Had the boat out over the holiday weekend and tested it out some more. The prop is the yamaha 15-1/2” 17P 3 blade, maxed out at 5100 rpm and 30 mph, trims all the way up and engine trimmed in various positions to test, got nothing. Also 1.3 mpg seems low. Do you think it being mounted on the third hole so one from being all the way up is too high or might be an engine problem. 1/2 tank of fuel and two people on board

I'm speculating that your throttle isn't advancing all the way to the stop.

Check the throttle cable linkage at the motor. When the motor is "off", push the throttle all the way down. Then go check the throttle lever position. I'd gamble a small bet that the lever can still advance another 1/4" And that is your extra 500rpms

Back