Trolling motor on 1801 advice

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonas grumby

Reaction score
I mostly fish inshore and am strongly considering mounting a trolling motor on my 1801. Any experience / advice with this application will be greatly appreciated!

Jonas

There are a whole string of posts related to this question. Try the search function using 1801 and trolling motor.

I have a Minn Kota I-pilot (60” shaft) on quick disconnect bracket with batteries (and charger) in the console. I used 6 ga wire from batteries to Battery Tender trolling motor plug. (This is best TM plug I’ve ever used.)

Whether you pick MK, Motor Guide or Rhodan, 24V and 60” shaft with an anchor feature are your minimums .

My set up will hold me in place to pick a bridge piling with a ripping current. It will cavitate in 2 ft seas with me standing all the way aft. This makes me wish for for 72” shaft but I’m not willing to give up the console space for third battery. I think Rhodan has longer shaft options in 24v models now.
74d8ede92fcf026252e908caed642574.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response and pic! I am looking at the Minn Kota Terrova 80, 60" (wasn't sure which length to get), with batteries under the console. Thanks for the "Battery Tender" it looks like I will go with one as well! I am thinking of installing console nav-lights. Fun winter project!

Jonas

How did you run the wires to the console? I was going to install the batteries in the bow casting deck storage but would much prefer to locate them in the console.

Flukenewsty":1a4boxtz said:
How did you run the wires to the console? I was going to install the batteries in the bow casting deck storage but would much prefer to locate them in the console.

Run them forward towards fuel tank then up the fuel chase and gunnel into anchor locker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again for the pics and providing information. I ordered the trolling motor online and it was damaged upon opening. I sent it back and ended up turning the job over to a local installer. He charged $290 labor and did an outstanding job! I work 6-7 days a week and when I'm off, I want to fish! He installed low-profile LED nav lights near the FWD cleats, 2 batteries and charger (with an exterior plug for connection to extension cord) in the console and the motor plug is installed on the apron of the washboard. I am designing a shelf to install (easily-removable) over the batteries to make up for some lost storage in the console.

Back