Fuel tax refund

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fannin

Reaction score
Not sure if it's been mentioned here before since I'm new to the forum, I searched but was unable to find it.

Virginia allows you to submit a form and a copy of your receipt for fuel bought in VA and used in boats(commercial and recreationally) for a refund on the taxes paid. I live in Maryland on the Potomac so it's just a short ride across the river to get much cheaper fuel. Currently gasoline is $3.85 at the Marina in MD, I went to Coles Point Marina in VA to fill up at $3.30 which includes the 16 cents fuel tax. You create an account on the VA DMV website where you enter all the information about your fill up, then you email a copy of the receipt. After they approve everything they mail you a check. I purchased 60 gallons and I'm getting a $9.62 refund.

I know theres other states that also refund you for taxes on fuel used off road so you may want to check.

California has a fuel tax refund program as well. There are 3 rates for fuel purchased in 2017: .278 $/gal for fuel purchased from Jan 1 to Jun 30, .297 $/gal for fuel purchased Jul1 to Oct 31 and .417 $/gal after Nov 1. I am surprised the program is still in place after the .12/gal tax raise that was imposed in Nov. Only fuel burned outside the 3 mile limit can be claimed.

Fannin, good to know. Do you fish further north like around #30 or the bridge? What boat do you have? We've probably run across each other. Thanks

Back