True draft

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sewaneegirl

Reaction score
I have just bought a 1999 23SE mod-v pilothouse. We will need to cross a skinny area in a channel between two islands, just offshore. I believe the deadrise is 14, and I know the materials say the draft of a 23SE is usually about 10" - but what is the actual draft? Am assuming the extra weight of a pilothouse makes some difference.

The draft on a parker is not all that much. but this is how I approach shallow water, "SLOWLY". Remember that your depth finder is not telling you the exact water depth from the surface to the bottom, What it is telling you is the distance from your transducer to the bottom. Once I hit 3' on the depth finder the pucker factor goes up :shock: and it is slow going from there and I inch along. In skinny water it doesn't take much of a submerged rock, bottom change, or other hazard to ruin your trip. 4'-5' of water you are golden

Thanks. Believe me, I crawl along in this particular spot and always lift the motor! It can be a couple of feet at low tide.

I am really happy to have the Parker but it will take some getting used to as the last boat was a flat-bottomed CC where you were wide open. Just wondered if the addition of a pilothouse makes that much difference in draft.

Deidre

I don't think parker ever made a modified vee pilot house. Which would make it a 21 degree dead rise

Post a pic of the boat

It is a 23SE with a custom-built pilot house. Once I figure out the tapatalk app, I'll post a photo.
92d6a2258baba52ecf96a9d4aa001d38.jpg

5266bb138dd02b08332ec63dfcf650a2.jpg

camron":293adibs said:
That's interesting kinda looks like a privateer.

Yes it does.

I don't think parker ever made a modified vee pilot house. Which would make it a 21 degree dead rise

For claireafaction :

A modified is 14deg or 16degs.....Depends what year you have. And Yes The made modified V pilothouse's...I have one.

Deep V is considered 21degs

warthog5":kw9q8j78 said:
camron":kw9q8j78 said:
That's interesting kinda looks like a privateer.

Yes it does.

For claireafaction :

A modified is 14deg or 16degs.....Depends what year you have. And Yes The made modified V pilothouse's...I have one.

Deep V is considered 21degs

I was referring to a 23 foot pilot house that model I thought was deep vee only.... I know the 25 version was in the modified and deep vee variety.

i have a 2004 23SE. i never "measured" but even loaded with gear (fishing, lobstering and clamming), ice, food, 4 adults, 2 teens, and a dog it'll still drift just fine over a sand bar w/ 13"-14" of water over it. key to extra skinny water to me is much more about raising the engine than the hull - raise it up and float over. i can't imagine that (very cool btw) pilot house "weighs" much more than an inch or two of draft so you'd probably end up even "skinnier" than me in the 12-13" range (?).

Thanks for the kind words and the advice! There's nothing like real-life experience. If draft is 14" or less, it will be great.

We are really happy to have a pilot house - it gets cold in Maine, even in the summer.

Call the factory with your HIN. They can tell you your dead rise (and anything else you want to know).

Thanks, Capt. Kevin. I actually did call them last week, and was disappointed to be told that no one was available to answer questions. At first I thought she meant "now," but she meant "anytime." She told me to email their technical people, which I did. Still waiting, but it hasn't been a week. I know I bought it used, but surely they want Parker fans - used owners or not. Anyhow, that's why I'm asking the question here...

Try the email route.
Phone used to be the best way, but we are getting into 'boat show season', so personnel availability might be short right now.

FWIW - According to their facebook page, the factory is closed today due to ice and snow in their area.
Don't know how long that shutdown will last since they aren't accustomed to that sort of weather in Beaufort.

Back