New Parker in the Family. Have a few questions.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefish1354

Reaction score
Thank you to all who helped to answer my questions on a previous post. It was all very helpful and steered me in a new direction. I bought a 1997 2320 with a hard top and a Yamaha 300 HPDI (180 hours). There is a 2005 Honda 20 on the back for trolling that is set up with full controls and steering in the wheel house. I don’t necessarily want a second motor but it is a very smooth installation and it seems silly to take it out. The boat was kept on its new trailer in a barn since 2004 and clearly did not get much use. There is full plastic for the hardtop which works quite well. 27K seemed like a good price so we dove in.
We are very happy. Both engines run well. The bow seems to rise a bit high for my liking when getting going and the engine seems like it gets hit by the following wave when slowing down. Its out on a bracket which probably doesn’t help.

Questions: (sorry I have a lot)
Is the water hitting the engine bad? Those engines had some issues. This has the intrusion update. Is there anything else I should do or look out for? The previous owner never had problems after that was installed.
I ordered a Permatrim for the outboard as that seems to get good reviews to help with the bow rise and high planning speed. Any reason I should hesitate there?
Does anyone have numbers on fuel economy for that set up. It has a fuel management but the numbers seems high. I do not have that with me but will get back to you all.
Lastly I am still tempted to cut out the back of the WH if any one has links or photos of that project that would be great as well.
You all are the best.
thanks.
Blue
Also looking for a base and pedestal for one seat.

Attachments

• Small Parker.JPG
    Small Parker.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,035
Bluefish,
I have a '04 2520XL and this is my sixth season with it. I have about six hundred hours on her and my engine seems to sit low on the bracket and it hit with alot of water too. I have never seen any evidence of the water getting under the cover. Good luck with the boat. A 300hp on the 23 must make the boat fly.

Could it be you have too much weight on the rear? I would check with Parker. Also try slowing the boat down befor stopping that should help. If you come off the throttle all at once the following wave smacks you in the rear.

It is good to hear that others have similar issue with the wave from behind. I try to slow down slowly but its still there. It may very well have too much weight back there and I know in the older boats the gas tank is a bit further back as well. That engine weighs less than a f250 so I figured with the little one it would be close but likely more than it should be. The little engine is so well tied in it is a shame to get rid of. it has its own controls and a stearing stick. I don't much care for the little one but it seems a sham to undo all the work that went into it. Permatrim came today so I'll get that on this afternoon.
Thank you

I think I have an extra base and pedestal.

I sold one to megabyte and when I replaced the passenger pedestal with the seaspension, I threw it up in the attic.

I remember it being about $40 just to ship it. If you are interested, make me an offer. It came off an 06 2520.

I would not hesitate on the Permatrim. I have twin F-115s on the back of my 2510. With all that weight, the OEM tabs just couldn't push the bow down...but once I added "Cobra" plates (similar to Permatrims), the tabs are now much more sensitive. The Cobra plates add enough lift to the transom to allow the tabs to do their thing.

I have one/more threads in the Projects forum that show those plates. I think one is actually entitled "Show us your Doelfins, Permatrims, and Cobra plates..." or something like that.

Dave

aka

Is the 20hp kicker a four stroke? That's alot of hp for a kicker engine on a 23ft.(IMO). They recomend a 9.9hp high thrust for my 25XL which is considerably heavier than your boat. You might be able to trade out the 20hp Honda for a lighter smaller kicker engine and use most of the same rigging and lighten it up some.

Well we just spent our first night out at block island. 4 of us. two in the V and 2 in a tent on the deck. It went better than expected. ages 1 and 3. Permatrim makes an incredible difference is every way. Planes at a much lower speed and much less rise through chop and swell.

The engine is a 4stroke 20 and can push the boat at close t 8 knots. Good thought on getting into a smaller one it is clearly overkill.

Has anyone ever removed the window behind the helm or better yet made it so it can swing down or up leaving an open hole? It would be nice to be able to speak to folks in the back of the boat.

Its interesting getting used to the ride. I have had a 20ft seacraft for years. I keep wanting to go faster and harder but I dont think the boat is on the same page.

I would agree that the 20hp Honda is overkill on a 23. Hondas are also not known for being 'svelte'... :)
Still, if it is rigged well, it might just take some getting used to, unless you can get a deal trading it for a 9.9

BTW... Love that hard top! :)

I would also bet that your boat has the stock factory trim tabs. The factory tabs are known for being marginal, at best. With the extra weight on your transom, I would conclude that you need the assistance of larger tabs.

Still... with that motor :shock: and the permatrim, you should be able to use motor trim to bring the stern up... and the bow down.

300 horsepower on a 2320... :shock: I'd love to have that motor on my boat, but on a 23? Lordy... that thing ought to be a rocket ship! 8)

Edit: Are you looking to open up the pilothouse like this?

Image-7F81D7060B7511DB.jpg

We have several members who have done this, and you can find their photos in the Projects area.
Mine came that way from the factory, but a 'bulkhead boat' can be converted fairly easily. :wink:

the hard top is great. the previous owner bought the full plastic for it as well. it worked great. Your boat was the one that got me thinkig about removing the back. so far I have liked the ability to close it all up. with the family sleeping on it its nice to lock out the bugs if need be. I would like to open up at least the window so I could turn around and look back.

As for the tabs. they are odd. after a few hours in swell and chop I stoped to see if they were working. it seemed like I would make an adjustment and nothing would happen then one more and the boat would flop over on its side. I have tabo on my other boat and us them all the time but these are tough to figure out. Bigger tabs? or is it the pump? The permatrim is amazing for controling the height of the bow. far better than I thought it would be.

And yes there is plenty of power. is 14 GPH about right for crusing at 18knots? any one else have thoughts or numbers?

14 gph is about what I burn with my OX66 225 hp running at 4000 rpm, if that is of any help. :)

Megabyte":1wulc57o said:
14 gph is about what I burn with my OX66 225 hp running at 4000 rpm, if that is of any help. :)
My 2520mv pilothouse got about the same as megabyte stated. Your boat should do better it would seem to me since it's alot lighter. If my math is correct 20miles using 14gallons = @1.4mpg. Must be some folks who own 23 pilothouses that could chime in and tell you what you should expect to burn.

Back