2015 Suzuki 250 hp starving for gas

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty D

Reaction score
Last year with only 40 hours my new 250 Suzuki was starving for gas at 5800 rpm. Motor would run great but at WOT after 30 sec motor would back down at 4000 rpm. Never stalling. Just backs down to a lower rpm. I don't run motor at WOT but when I do I only do it for less them 1 min. I started checking vent- pulled the gas sending unit out and checked gas tank. R&R 10 M filter. Still having problems. I took the boat to a Suzuki mechanic. Got hit with a $800 bill. They check the tank. All good. Vents. Replaced the gas line from tank to motor. Replaced the primer ball. Replaced the gas tank valve. Road tested and still having problems. The motor is not over rev. rpm. She is at 5800 wot. The mechanics replaced both primary and secondary filters and problem fixed. This year I put boat in water and problem started again. Now I'm going to order the two filters in motor. I did go 600 miles and over 200 hours since last year. Hoping the filter fixed this problem. Is this normal? Are those Suzuki filters that sensitive? I always use addictive in the gas.

So here's my question........ Did you clean the tank before installing this motor?

Sounds to me like the filters are doing their job.... You just have a LOT of Crap in your tank.

warthog5":2uxmo9go said:
So here's my question........ Did you clean the tank before installing this motor?

Sounds to me like the filters are doing their job.... You just have a LOT of Crap in your tank.
Yes, gas tank was checked and clean when motor was installed. Last year when this problem started the Suzuki Mech pulled the sending unit and checked. He said tank looks like a new tank inside. He drained all the gas also. That bill was )$800. I ran the boat today , she runs fine. I didn't do anything yet. I stayed at 4000 rpm max. At 5800 she will starve for gas. I'm thinking high pump? Try to get the Suzuki mechanic to warranty that!!! Joke

warthog5":2v2ps9t7 said:

Thanks for answering back. I was hoping you would read this. I don't know what to do. The Suzuki mechanic is going to do everything and replace everything on boat side but not the motor. Last year I hooked up a 6 gall tank and it still starved for gas. That told me it's the motor. I told that to the Suzuki Mech. He still replaced all gas line- gas bulb- sending unit. Why???? That piss me of.

There is also a very small screen filter in the fuel vapor canister. Its only about the size of a large pencil eraser so it could possibly be restricting fuel flow. I went through this same situation this spring with my 2013 DF250. Local mechanics here recommend installing an inline spin-on replaceable filter unit such as Sierra brand prior to fuel making it to the filters under the cowling.

MDP":2ws4c72y said:
There is also a very small screen filter in the fuel vapor canister. Its only about the size of a large pencil eraser so it could possibly be restricting fuel flow. I went through this same situation this spring with my 2013 DF250. Local mechanics here recommend installing an inline spin-on replaceable filter unit such as Sierra brand prior to fuel making it to the filters under the cowling.
Are you talking about VTS tank little filter? That is what was clog on my Yamaha after 1000 hours. If so, I will take that top off and r&r that filte. Very smart.

Brent":1k03b8v5 said:
what is the fuel pressure on the rail? Has the injectors been checked on a machine?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
No.

Marty D":35l95awj said:
MDP":35l95awj said:
Are you talking about VTS tank little filter? That is what was clog on my Yamaha after 1000 hours. If so, I will take that top off and r&r that filte. Very smart.

Good Idea

Marty D":1jk8xxru said:
warthog5":1jk8xxru said:

Thanks for answering back. I was hoping you would read this. I don't know what to do. The Suzuki mechanic is going to do everything and replace everything on boat side but not the motor. Last year I hooked up a 6 gall tank and it still starved for gas. That told me it's the motor. I told that to the Suzuki Mech. He still replaced all gas line- gas bulb- sending unit. Why???? That piss me of.

It would me too Marty...... You proved the problem.

So time to turn loose of your Suzuki dealers name..... Lets see if we can find you another dealer to seal with.

MDP":1tzk5dh1 said:

WOW! You don't have a filter like this on your boat?

3516.jpg

warthog5":2w0x1v2o said:
MDP":2w0x1v2o said:

WOW! You don't have a filter like this on your boat?

3516.jpg
Yes, I always had a 10 mic filter in the boat. I replaced them two times a year. Never was there dirt or water at bottom. This is why I don't under stand how the filters are getting dirty on motor. That is what the Suzuki Mech said. He replaced the two filter???

Time to change dealers. I would make sure the next dealer will hook up obd laptop during sea trials

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do you have a Suzuki Shop manual? Is the fuel system different from a Yamaha fuel injection system?

I am only familiar with the 2002 Yamaha F225 outboard and it does not have a lot of sensors yo check with YDS software which I havem so ornery problems are PIA to troubleshooting for me.

Our last issue was caused by the Yamaha fuel system management sender (gizmo with little paddle wheel).
It spun freely but some how was causing fuel flow issue and was resolved after replacement. We found it bypassing it. weird! This was after, tank was drained of E 10 gas ands switched to E0 gas, new fuel tank pickup tubes, remove spring and ball bearing in ASV, new fuel line to Racor, new 2 micron Racor , under cowling and F shaped fuel filters, new low pressure pump, replaced screen in high pressure pump (old ne had some buildup), cleaned VST, injectors serviced by Flagship in Punta Gorda and were fine, fuel system cleaning, spark plugs, new thermostats, and other misc items I tested the fuel rail pressure and it was spot on with the specs. It was great to have the Yamaha shop manual to study. We found no other issue other than the paddle wheel fuel management sender.

Good luck and keep posting updates. I am sure to contribute more stupid questions. LOL

I just looked at Suzuki 250 fuel system diagram and it is very similar to Yamaha's system.

I keep wondering if the fuel rail is losing pressure possibly to a clogged filter on the high pressure fuel pump or the VST tank is running out of gas due to float in VST or low pressure pump.

Just thinking out loud.

Use leeward cove in patchoge They have done a couple Suzuki for me and I have referred a few people to them and they were all happy. If your using one of the guys on eastern Long Island they have only been dealers for a couple years.

Back