2015 Suzuki 250 hp starving for gas

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets look at this a different way. It is my opinion the engine is fine and there isn't a trashy gas problem. This sounds like a fuel delivery problem when the fuel pump is pulling the hardest. First thing to look at when it begins to starve for fuel is your fuel primer bulb. Ensure it is not collapsed any and is tight. If you have a mushy bulb or it is sucked in some there is a restriction between the bulb and your pickup in the tank. This could be caused by a kink in your vent hose and its not getting enough air or you could have a tiny piece of foil from a Stabil bottle in your tank and it is getting sucked up and restricting the fuel. When you let off the gas the suction is reduced and the engine catches up and runs fine. Another possibility is you have fuel line separation due to ethanol. The inner liner of older fuel hose will delaminate and collapse onto itself and restrict the fuel flow. Usually when this happens the bulb will also collapse some.

windknotnc":a68ox1yg said:
Lets look at this a different way. It is my opinion the engine is fine and there isn't a trashy gas problem. This sounds like a fuel delivery problem when the fuel pump is pulling the hardest. First thing to look at when it begins to starve for fuel is your fuel primer bulb. Ensure it is not collapsed any and is tight. If you have a mushy bulb or it is sucked in some there is a restriction between the bulb and your pickup in the tank. This could be caused by a kink in your vent hose and its not getting enough air or you could have a tiny piece of foil from a Stabil bottle in your tank and it is getting sucked up and restricting the fuel. When you let off the gas the suction is reduced and the engine catches up and runs fine. Another possibility is you have fuel line separation due to ethanol. The inner liner of older fuel hose will delaminate and collapse onto itself and restrict the fuel flow. Usually when this happens the bulb will also collapse some.
This was all done last year. All gas line replaced. Gas primer bulb. Gas tank valve. Vent checked. I had a $800 bill. Why the Suzuki mechanic did all that when I told him I hook up a 6 gall tank and problem still was there.

Brent":2xck8ihv said:
I just looked at Suzuki 250 fuel system diagram and it is very similar to Yamaha's system.

I keep wondering if the fuel rail is losing pressure possibly to a clogged filter on the high pressure fuel pump or the VST tank is running out of gas due to float in VST or low pressure pump.

Just thinking out loud.
I picked up a new primary filter today. Installed it and all good. I spoke to the Suzuki mechanic and ask why are the filters going bad so fast. He said-- the 10 mic filter filter that on the boat should be replaced every 20 hours. Wow!! That's $28 a week for me. I go on the boat every day from 7 to 2. That's 2 filter replaced every week? The gas filters on motor should be every 200 hours. All I know I replace the $20 primary filter and motor is ok. Mechanic said the gas from the gas station I'm going to is or must be dirty. My gas tank is ok and looks like new.

The Suzuki mechanic said be careful not to put to much stable in the gas. The gas truck that comes to our marine said they put stable in the gas already. I always added to my tank Maybe I'm causing this problem putting to much stable in the tank ? Tomorrow I will take a picture of the filter I replace. It's very dark. Looks like a two stroke oil gas mix.

Here are some things that came to my mind.

I've never heard of gas coming [pre Stablized] How much Stabil do you add per 10gal? [I do 1oz Stabil to 10gal]

That's Crazy on changing your Racor filter every 20hrs..... I change it once a year and we average 100hrs a year.

Now..... I would agree that the fuel your buying may be dirty.....or coming from a dirty tank.

So here's your fix on that. https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Funnel-AF3CB- ... B000SOIRCG

31Aa9NKVjeL.jpg

Yes it will be a lot more hands on and a PITA due to it being slower to fuel the boat.... But these things Work.

And you will be able to have show & tell with your marina if they are pumping dirty fuel.

Well..... If 3 different guys told you that, then there is obviously a fuel contaminate problem in your area.

Yes but lack additional details. I buy Ezero or rec gas at a Marathon gas station and refuel myself and have not seen any debris in the funnel or filter, or water in the filter so I change the Racor 2 micron filter once a year

It is difficult to decipher info between cure all gas additives, lack of regular maintence, boats sitting for long periods of time, using ethanol gas, dirty gas tanks, etc

but I have not seen it and I check Active Captain for marinas selling gas in our area for any bad gas reports

I had to go back to my Suzuki mechanic to pick up more parts. I was asking him about the 10 mic filter in the boat. Why replace so soon. If anyone ever replace these filters know that there are two round O rings. One goes on top of filter and one on bottom. There is one more round thick O ring in the bag. I never use it because I just don't see where it can be used. I thought they gave it to you for maybe a difference type. Found out it goes on the top of filter and lays over the male threads that's on the housing side. Without it, your now filtering the gas 100 percent

Brent":2ws7owwy said:
Which filter? The external RACOR or the Suzuki filter under the cowling?

Without it, your now filtering the gas 100 percent.

Do you mean it is needed to filter all of gas and stop any air getting into the fuel system?
or??

Sorry I don't understand

Best
I am going to post it with pictures

Brent":3r99pg22 said:
Which filter? The external RACOR or the Suzuki filter under the cowling?

Without it, your now filtering the gas 100 percent.

Do you mean it is needed to filter all of gas and stop any air getting into the fuel system?
or??

Sorry I don't understand. They give you 3 o rings. Use them all.

Best

Attachments

• IMG_1801.JPG
    IMG_1801.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1799.JPG
    IMG_1799.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1801.JPG
    IMG_1801.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 111
Brent":2cgs98f0 said:
I have a Mr funnel, too

Definitely unusual to change filter that often but I have been told from 3 different boat mechanics in SW Florida to change the Racor external filter every 50 hours and each trip out check the filter bowl for water and debris then may need to change again.
I'm not going to use any stabil in my gas anymore. With the new gas line installed there is no need for it. I fill up my gas tank every two week. Even the Suzuki mechanic said no need for it.

Suzuki mechanic said use one can of sea foam. I use to use it on my Yamaha

Back