2004 2520XL -repower new, used or sell boat only?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captnick

Reaction score
I've been thinking about selling my XL recently due to the fact I've recently retired, money is a little tight and we will be relocating probably inland in to a more retirement friendly state. Yesterday I started the 2004 225 Yammy 4 Stroke and had some very bad sounds and water leaking down from near the rear of the flywheel. I shut it down and took the plastic cover off flywheel and restarted. The screaching sounds were gone and it ran smoothly. Then the water started spraying out of a hole about the diameter of a coat hanger in the block right next to where the head meets the block behind the flywheel on the port side of engine. So the block is corroded through. It only has 1000 hours and I'm pretty sick about it. My question is should I sell the boat as is and let the new owner decide whether to go for a power head job or put a new motor on? I can't really afford to spend 20K for a new motor. I guess I could shop for a used motor to put on. My choices seem to be fix a 14 year old motor, put a used one on, or sell the boat the way it is. BTW I paid 2K for the dry exhaust fix 3 years ago proactively when I saw the corrosion upon dropping the lower unit and inspecting. I've flushed the motor every time I used the boat. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Sounds like a corroision problem for sure.

Was the battery ON/OFF switch always shut off when not in use?

You say you did the Yamaha corrosion fix..... What about anode changes?

You will loose your A$$ buying a new motor for sure. You will get what the motor costs you back, so what you can get for the boat without a repower is what it's worth and you will be ahead.

Something else.....A 225hp on that hull sounds under powered..

You're right the 225hp was slightly under powered especially for the heavier XL model but that's what Parker was putting on them in 2004. I didn't have any complaints as far as power but Parker doesn't put them on the XL models anymore, mostly 300 hp now. I have an update on my situation. I had an outboard mechanic take a look at it this am. Since the hole was so small he suggested we dremel the area around the hole, get all the paint off and rough up the surface and use some marine epoxy of some sort he had to fill the small hole and the area around it about an inch and a half. I let it set up for 6 hours even though he said it would cure much faster. I fired it up and it ran smoothly with no leaks. I restarted it several times, throttling up the idle and let it run for several minutes each time. I checked the oil to make sure there wasn't any water in it in case their was any water getting into the cylinders. No water, oil looked fine. Since we had small craft warnings out today, I decided to wait to do a sea trial on a calmer day.lI realize that the corrosion may continue to work from the inside, but who knows how long that may take. I will sell it for a fair price with a caveat to the buyer. It's a great boat and if I were in a different situation financially I would put a 300 on that sucker. Given the price of a new XL it would be worth the investment for someone to put new power on it. I really hate to see it go. BTW, I did always shut the battery switch off when leaving.

Capt. Nick, did you decide to repower? I recently had the same problem with twin 03' 225's. Ended up repairing and selling the boat. Looking to step down to a 2520 XL with a single, is yours available? Sent you a PM.

Thanks,

Since you had the exhaust issue repaired, I can't imagine that the corrosion would continue, but that is a question for a Yamaha certified mechanic.
When I listed mine for $27.5, I had a guy tell me it was too much for a 1996.
I told him to walk down the dock and take a look at a 2016 2520 XL that was purchased for over $110k, and then come back and tell me that $27.5 was too much.
He didn't buy it, but he got the message.

I can relate to being retired with funds being tight. :(

several Yamaha models had issues with corrosion at the thermostat housings (that't what this sounds like) because part of the OEM thermostats are made of copper! Copper and aluminum in close proximity, submerged in hot saltwater is a recipe for disaster! I've seen several repaired with marine-tex, JB weld etc. It gets a few more seasons out of it if you're lucky. If you re-power get a Mercury or Suzuki!

Back