2002 yamaha 150 2 stroke fuel efficiency?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruiter

Reaction score
Will a 2002 yamaha 150 hp 2 stroke with 240 hrs empty my wallet? It's on a Parker 21. I've never owned a Parker or an OB this large. What would a 2 hr trip with the family cost me? More than half of that time would be spent anchored? Trying to decide if I can afford this boat. I'll just be doing a lot of mellow cruising. Also pulling a few traps.
Thanks

that's such an open question
Speed
consistency on the throttle
Weight of passengers
Sea height 'waves'
Distance
Trimmed out boat

I have a 2003 SC 2120 HP200
Putting around town drift fishing in close maybe 20-40 bucks
Going fishing on Stellwagen 20 miles out 80-100 bucks
ether way its a cheap day out with the family IMO

Attachments

• Parkerside.JPG
    Parkerside.JPG
    345.8 KB · Views: 414
I run a 2003 150 HPDI. My fuel computer shows 8-9 gallon per hour at cruise (4200 rpm & 25-27 mph) properly trimmed up. That's with one other person, full tank and gear for several nites on the hook.

That bulletin is for a 4 stroke. I have a 2 stroke carbed 200 on a 21 and if I stay off of it I can run about 25 miles at 3800-4200 rpm and burn around 12 gallons.

FWIW I have a Yam 200 hp 2-stroke on a deep-v GW dual console model, 22' hull. It runs a Navman fuel computer via the fuel line. I'll get close to 3mpg @ 4000 RPMs (28 mph typical) and yet still get 2mpg @ full speed.

I would tell you your best fuel economy will between 3800 to 4200 RPMs. Make SURE that boat is propped right! Obtain the MAX RPMs from Yam specs, with typical boat gear aboard, 1/2 tank and you aboard, you want to turn screws to be no more than 200-300 RPMs lower than the Mfg's specs for WOT.

Tweak the prop if needed, most boats wear the wrong size prop ... like most women wear the wrong size bra ...

I've got an '04 150 carbed 2 stroke on my 2120. Seems to dial in comfortably at about 4200 rpm and can handle quite a bit at that speed.

Depending on conditions, if I'm headed fishing or sightseeing in the lagoons, I can run at any speed in between.

I usually fill up around 8 running hours needing about 60 gal.

If your decision to buy or not is based upon the cost of a 2 hour trip you might be in trouble. Boats, especially those used in salt water, need maintenance and that costs money. If you are handy with repairs you can save yourself some money but there are a lot of costs besides fuel you need to consider. I routinely spend hundreds of dollars on maintenance between the boat and trailer. I also spend money on weekend slip rentals (I hate pulling the boat every night) and last year needed 4 new tires on the trailer.

If you have never owned a boat you might want to try to determine these approximate cost of these other expenses in your local area. Not trying to scare you off just want you to go in with both eyes open.

Steve

Back