2520 Sport Cabin mod-V repower

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep them coming please! Very interested in that motor.

As I've mentioned in the past, I'm a huge Suzuki OB fan. Our DF200 has over 2500 hours on it, most of them idling in mud, with occasional blasts of full throttle to maneuver. Maintenance has been spotty at best... and yet, it has been incredibly reliable, quiet, efficient... basically perfect. Change the oil, change the WP every two years, LU lube every year, and swap the prop 2-3 times a year. Other than that, we've had to replace two helmet latches (our fault), and the internal fuel filter a few times.

I'd like to see how it runs the 2520, maybe you can have a run-off between a Suzuki DF250 and a Yamaha F250.

sparky":2wxom7d1 said:
I'd like to see how it runs the 2520, maybe you can have a run-off between a Suzuki DF250 and a Yamaha F250.
No contest so far ... the Yam would have cost me $4K more for the motor, $2K more for the install (per the selling dealer), and I'd have to run 89 octane to realize 250 horsepower :shock: . Ohhh, and then worry about low and high pressure fuel pumps failing, VST filter issues, clogged injectors ... and corroding exhaust housings et al ... :shock: !

I personally do not know of even ONE Suzuki V6 four-stroke with a similar issue on any single motor! Yup, I made a dayum good choice :D !

DaleH":4gxepymb said:
sparky":4gxepymb said:
No contest so far

I meant a runoff for speed and fuel consumption, the maintenance won't be even close. How's your dealer support, that seems to be the issue we've had. Dealers are few and far afield.

Suzuki DF250 OB Performance report:

WOT is 5800-5900 RPMs, redline is 6100. Only had me and 1 small ‘new’ crew (the 13-year old) aboard, with 50-gallons fuel, all typical gear, and while I would have preferred to turn screws closer to 6K, but I'll take it. The prop starts to slip above 5500 RPMs, as I realize no appreciable difference in speed once above 5700 RPMs, yet fuel burn still increases.

5800 RPMs, 40 MPH, 1.8 MPG

5500 RPMs, 38 MPH, 2.0 MPG

4000 RPMs, 27 - 28 MPH, 2.8 – 3.0 MPG

1500 RPMs, 7 - 9 MPH, 6 - 8 MPG

Idle … can’t even hear the freakin’ motor purring!

Cruise speeds > 4K RPMs … low throaty growl, but as quiet as any other 250hp powered boat I’ve ever have been on, at least those with full-transoms.

Lessons Learned:

To me it proves my "big girl" is not a performance boat. Once you see no appreciable speed with an increase in RPMs, then you know the prop is slipping. This indicates that either the hull design is at its performance limits (mod-V hull can't 'climb' any higher out of the water!), the prop is at its limits, or one needs more horsepower. I'm sure glad I didn't spring for a 300hp motor and opine that, at least for Parker boats of the 25' mod-V hull models, 250hp is probably the optimum powerplant.

Note to CP:

Parkers are NOT Go Fast boats …

Parkers (mod-V hulls anyway) are NOT speed boats …

... but that dang are TOUGH, reliable, well made, and fully-configurable fishing boats :D !

I’ll develop a full RPM/speed/fuel efficiency table and will publish it later, but all in all I’m thrilled :D !

’New’ crew report:

Savannah had a blast catching her first striped bass, schoolies that they were. I taught her how to fan cast an area as well as to cast the jig and slowly count up to a number before the retrieve (to let the lure sink), and adding more numbers to the count until she found ‘where’ the fish were hanging in the water column. After that, it was fish after fish. Not bad for her first time fishing the salt!

Attachments

• Savannah-Striper1s.JPG
    Savannah-Striper1s.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 585
Congratulations on getting your numbers.
I also agree that these boats seem to have a 'terminal velocity' where more power does not always translate into more speed.

We had two identical 21SE rescue boats at work.
One wore a 225 Merc, the other a 150 Yam.
At WOT, the 225 boat only bested the 150 powered boat by about 3 knots.

Congratulations too to Savannah on her first fish.
Something tells me from that smile that she is hooked. 8)

Coming up next week for tuna on my cousins Parker. Any advice? Probably go to Stellwagon but not sure. He just got his back from the shop, wiring harness got chaffed and killed the ignition 225 YAMAHA . long tow back. Good luck with the new motor. awesome sight

The Best ! :D
Have fun with the new crew and the motor :wink:

Dale..... Did you see any attitude change how the boat sits in the water at rest? The bracket tubs that they use are small. Aprox 18in wide.

More flotation could be had with a wider tub. But these are wider boats and can support more weight.

warthog5":fmj2v696 said:
Dale..... Did you see any attitude change how the boat sits in the water at rest? The bracket tubs that they use are small. Aprox 18in wide.
Nope, I observed ZERO change in hull attitude at rest :D !

Dale....You need to update this thread.

Close up pix's of which holes the motor is bolted in.

I did see you had the Johnny/Rude jacked all the way up. I had asked Kev about his motor height and he had it all the way down.

I have one more hole I can go UP. But now this boat of mine needs a prop change. It's overall average is 1.6MPG....and that just SUCKS! Oh and Plus oil. :( Furthermore I'm spoiled with have 4 stroke injected motors. This thing has Carbs. It was a Little finicky in the parade with all the idling, but it also had 2 fuel pumps take a dump the day before. We had all 3 pumps replaced, but I believe it didn't do the plugs any good. I just replaced the plugs again today.

When the Mako's are gone a DF-300AP is going on it.

Ok....Were doing more testing here in Fl. :)

Wind was @ 15MPH out of the South East. Bay was all blown up with Whitecaps 1.5sec apart. IE: It was Snotty out there.

We started inside in the Bayou and this is where the pix's are from today.

Ken @ PropGods sent me a Merc Enertia 3 X 15 X 15

100_4854_zpsebd8cbbe.jpg

100_4862_zpse4135b08.jpg

With the motor raised and still in the 3rd Hole.

100_4854_zpsebd8cbbe.jpg

Here is where she is.

100_4863_zps0af2be06.jpg

This is our burn & MPH

100_4864_zps7c7480af.jpg

Here is the Max RPM

100_4866_zps940918f6.jpg

Then we went outside the bayou into the snot.

The boat would come out of the hole much better. It would hit 5200 and then drop back to 5000 as the motor seemed to take on more load.

The prop has been the best so far and has actually made a beliver out of me that this motor is capable. But I'm not finished yet. :D

I'm raising the motor all the way up. Look at the pix with the cavitation plate under water. You want it right on top. With talking to Ken today he agreed and thru in there also that by raising the motor another hole it would take more advantage out of the motor as to pointing the Bow toward the sky. Should be good for a extra 200 to 300RPM.

Plus It's Free to do. :)

We talked about going to a 14in pitch. It changes the dia. also. But he thought that all we would get is a slightly better throttle response. Something I want, but not will to sacrifice anything else.
[898988A46 Enertia dia.15.2 pitch 14 RH]

It's getting better. :)

Cruising:

3 X 14 X 17 4400RPM - 24.4MPH = 1.8MPG

3 X 15 X 16 4400RPM - 25MPH = 1.8MPG

3 X 15 X 15 Enertia 4400RPM - 29MPH = 1.9MPG

Who would have thought the last 2 props being that close together would be that far apart on performance.

I find prop testing to be a unique that EACH boat and prop exercise, even down to aleged same spec props from different makers.

Glad you're going to raise it, from looking at the pic I thought the same thing ...

Watching this thread closely...

I've known for a long time that my motor is too deep, but being wet slipped without a trailer, making adjustments is difficult. :)
Since the boat is in the BOE lot for the winter, my plan was to have Jim raise the motor before spring commissioning.
Thing is, I have to get it right (or at least better) the first time because once she is splashed, I'd need to be hauled to make adjustments.

My plan was to go with what worked for Bobby by using his photo, while also understanding we are talking about 2 different boats... 2530 vs 2520.
When I was 'prop shopping' a few years ago, I spoke at length to my local prop shop owner who runs an older 2520 like mine.
He believed that a 3x16x16 would be ideal, but nobody made one at the time, so I went with a Merc Mirage 17p with a little cup added.

It has been a good prop topping out at a best of 34kts loaded (with 4 adults) on flat water with a clean 'spring bottom'.
My hope is to do a little better than that and getting a little better economy by raising the motor 2 holes.
Here is the photo of Bobby's motor that I'm going to go by, and a shot of my present prop. Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• Outboard motor position.JPG
    Outboard motor position.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 389
  • Prop01.jpg
    Prop01.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 389
  • Prop02.jpg
    Prop02.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 389
I am thinking about repowering my 2510 from a F225 to a F300. Could you give me the name of the person you used for your repower and are you happy with the job. Thanks

Back