New offshore 4-BLADE SS props for Suzuki motors

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

FOUNDER of Classic Parker Forum
Reaction score
FYI:
PowerTech Propellers is now making 16" diameter 4-bladed props for Suzuki motors in the pitch sizes ideal for single motors on offshore boats. You can buy them direct from PowerTech (http://www.ptpropeller.com/), but I'd recommend you contact Ken @ http://www.propgods.com, as you can save a bit of $$ and he'll drop ship the prop right out to you. For < $500, these are premium props, as when I had another brnad motor, the PTech prop worked even better than the erc Rev$, which is a noteworthy prop to be sure!

Ken also has a database on his site for prop info and he'll recommend the right prop for you. For those on the coast in FL, he has a mobile prop service and will bring his props right to your boat.

DESCRIPTION:
LFS4 - 16.00” diameter, 4-blade design, this Suzuki Outboard Powertech Propeller is available in every inch of pitch from 17-23, right & left hand rotation with moderate rake, the LFS4 has a full tip cup for better lift and grip over the LFS3. 4-blade factory equivalent of the Suzuki 16” diameter prop with better cavitation resistance, shown in polished finish. Available with the Powertech Premium Cushion-Lok Hub design or Square Hub to receive the Vortex/Flo-Torq hub kits...

LFS41%20copy.jpg

FYI, the performance on these new offshore props is PHENOMENAL!

My new Suzuki DF250 originally wore a 18.5" pitch, 16" diameter OEM wheel from Suzuki. At the recommendation of Ken from PropGods, http://www.propgods.com, I replaced it with a PowerTech LFS4 4-blade in 21" pitch. Make careful note that OEM Suzi props are notoriously marked LOW for what the pitch really translates to.

3 Blade OEM: Tested with 2 aboard, 55-gallons fuel
WOT - Turned 39-40mph (clean bottom) for 5900 RPMs (redline = 6100)
Cruise - 4200 RPMs for 27-28mph, for ~2.5 or better mpg
Performance averaged both ways in the tide ...

4 Blade PowerTech: Tested with 3 aboard, 45-gallons fuel
WOT - Turned 38-39mph (clean bottom) for 5900 RPMs (redline = 6100) w/
Cruise - 4200 RPMs for 26-27mph, for ~2.5mpg
Performance averaged both ways in the tide ...
Headway speed - With the 9 crew aboard on SUN (see below) against the current I was getting 3.5mpg @ 6mph, ~1700 RPMs. With the tide I was getting > 5.5mpg.

With the 4-blade was installed, I had 3 total aboard for a fishing trip on SAT and yet on SUN, I had 9 people (1 kid) aboard total ... and yet only ran 1mph slower at cruise and at WOT with the heavier load - SAT results versuys SUN results. And I still hit 5900 RPMs @ full turns with the heavier load! My overall fuel burn efficiency for SAT of fishing was 3mpg (more speed cruising), while for SUN's cruise/beach trip it was almost 4mpg (more headway speed cruising around).

On SUN, 5 of crew were on bench at rear of cockpit, 2 in the towers, with me and the kid in the cabin. I had to trim my OB down & in more than I typically do for planing out, but she did get up to plane fine w/ that heavy load.

Lessons learned: To me this shows that a 4-blade can carry a tremendous loading over a 3-blade prop. It also shows me that this Suzi DF250 has PLENTY of torque available, I'd opine much more so than Yam 250hp reports I read, as I'll read of reports here on CP where guys load down their boats for 4-6 guys to go fishing or scuba diving and the boat can't get out of the hole.

My Parker suffered no real performance losses (1mph to be technical @ cruise and at WOT speeds) when loaded down with 9 people on SUN versus when loaded with 3 people on SAT. To me ... .that's impressive results!

Dale.....The deadrise @ transom is what on yours? Got any idea of what you weigh in at now?

warthog5":1zul3ef2 said:
The deadrise @ transom is what on yours? Got any idea of what you weigh in at now?
Mod-V deadrise at 14-degrees, ~6,000 pounds loaded, not counting crew ...

I need to look around here and see if one of the yards has a travel lift with a scale.
I suspect I weigh more than 6k, partially due to the two unused fuel tanks under my deck.

BTW Bobby... Dale and I have the same 14 degree hull. Mine is a 1996 model.

Attachments

• BB Marina.jpg
    BB Marina.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,881
I'm still sole searching Dale. :)

Once ya do it you can't go back and say....Oh I don't like it.....I think I'll put XYZ on it now. Well you could if you had a Money tree in the back yard.

So

QUOTE: “My Parker suffered no real performance losses (1mpg to be technical @ cruise and at WOT speeds) when loaded down with 9 people on SUN “

So I take that to mean that the MPG dropped to 1.5MPG.......is that correct?

warthog5":14c5iiuo said:
QUOTE: “My Parker suffered no real performance losses (1mpg to be technical @ cruise and at WOT speeds) when loaded down with 9 people on SUN “

So I take that to mean that the MPG dropped to 1.5MPG.......is that correct?
Ooooh, good catch ... post corrected ...

I'm sure the fuel burn increased, but I didn't record it. Bottom line, that Suzi still had the balls to turn screws when loaded with 3X+ the load it had the day before, on the same stretch of water, at or about the same time/tide, in the same conditions. No lugging there~!

QUOTE: “My Parker suffered no real performance losses (1mph to be technical @ cruise and at WOT speeds) when loaded down with 9 people on SUN “

OK Do you run your boat a lot with just 1/3 fuel in it?

I was all set with thinking the DF-300APX was gonna do the job. But after loading the boat down......

2000lbs worth of fuel / people /gear I started to have my doughts with this Yamaha 250 2stroke.

I'm still testing props on it.

I talked extensively to my Suzzy dealer/mechanic and he thinks we can do it with the DF-300APX.

I asked what he thought about a prop before I reread your post and I did forward the post to him.

I said 3 X 16 X 17? and he said No more like 3 X 16 X 21 which falls in line with what you did.

BUT! I have NOT seen anyone load their boat. All this testing is super light loads and 1/3 fuel at the most. I can't go 40 - 60mi South in the Gulf with 50gal of fuel.

I'd really like to see you do some more testing......PLEASE :D

Furthermore My son has been in contact with Parker and the findings are well lets just say that they don't seem to have a lot of data, which seemed very strange to me.

Furthermore They run just Yamaha's. Say what you want. I can remember back in '04-'05 and the debates on THT about how "The 4 STROKES" don't have the low end torque compared to a 2 stroke.

After I FINALLY got the guy to say WHAT 4 stroke? He said Yamaha. I said yep....You haven't done it with Suzuki's.

It's in the gear ratio. Suzzy is geared lower than any other manufacture. It's like putting a Lower gear ratio [Higher Number] gear in the differential of your tow vehicle.

This is something continuously overlooked and folks just wave the Brand banner flag.

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/outboard ... ifications

Yamaha 250 & 300 have 1.75:1 ratio

Suzzy 300 has 2.08:1 and the 250 has 2.29:1

http://www.suzukimarine.com/Product%20L ... 300AP.aspx

http://www.suzukimarine.com/Product%20L ... DF250.aspx

PS: My Suzzy dealer sells Yamaha and Honda too.

warthog5":kw5esawb said:
OK Do you run your boat a lot with just 1/3 fuel in it?
Yes I do, with E10 crap, I don't keep any more in it than I will use ...

I said 3 X 16 X 17? and he said No more like 3 X 16 X 21 which falls in line with what you did.
Where are you getting that -17 number Bobby? I never had that prop, my OEM 3-blade was marked 18.5 ... but it ain't even that!

I'd really like to see you do some more testing......PLEASE :D
Uhhmmmmmmmm, sorry, but my boat is covered in a good foot of snow and it will be probably be late May before I spash this year between bizness and a vacation to Key West.

Bobby... Problem with us up here is that it is still winter, and most of us are still in hibernation on the hard.

My plan is to leave the 17p Mirage Plus presently on my motor, but to raise the motor a bit before she splashes.
How much? That is my dilemma. Once the boat is in the water, I'll have no way of making adjustments.
I'm thinking of raising 2 holes, but if I get it wrong, it could get expensive to 'fix' it. :(

My boat is always heavy.
Full fuel and a full load of fishing gear. My guess is 8k pounds.

Where are you getting that -17 number Bobby? I never had that prop, my OEM 3-blade was marked 18.5 ... but it ain't even that!

It was a guess in the sky. This was after running this Yamaha 250 2 Stroke.

You guys remind me of what I tell my brother.

I tell him his having to go to work is getting in the way of OUR fun.

But in your guys case it's your Snow. LOL

warthog5":ie16496k said:
You guys remind me of what I tell my brother.

I tell him his having to go to work is getting in the way of OUR fun.

But in your guys case it's your Snow. LOL

Yep. That pretty much covers it. :D

I'm thinking of raising 2 holes

Count down from the top.....3rd hole in the motor goes in the top hole of the bracket. That will be safe. That is where my 250 2 Stroke is now.

I've had the piehole cover off the Stainless Marine bracket so many times I said screw it. and ordered a 8in Armstrong. No more screws and silicone.

We had to pull the motor again when the new T&T motor took a crap.

warthog5":2frnuov5 said:
Count down from the top.....3rd hole in the motor goes in the top hole of the bracket. That will be safe. That is where my 250 2 Stroke is now.

Can you post a photo for me to go by?

Megabyte":flvucw5a said:
My boat is always heavy. Full fuel and a full load of fishing gear. My guess is 8k pounds.
No way, no how she’s THAT heavy … re-read the post on my boat weight … 3-tons wet, without crew or ice, which may add a 1/2-ton, but not a full ton IMHO, haha! I have every item ‘typically’ carried weighed and allotted for. I say ‘typical’, as since that effort I have begun removing items (not anything safety related) that only gets used a few times per season. I put a locking dock box at my boat club where I can store items like an extra 600-1000’ foot of anchor rode and spare anchor(s) that only get used on offshore tuna trips.

warthog5":flvucw5a said:
I've had the piehole cover off the Stainless Marine bracket so many times I said screw it and ordered a 8in Armstrong. No more screws and silicone.
Yup, did that myself within the 1st year of ownership. FYI, check this bracket a few times per season and be prepared to remove the water. I drain it religiously whilst stranded on sandbars … but you’ve seen the effects of our 9’ tides here ;) . FYI, the water comes from condensation of that bracket. If one doesn’t drain it or somehow remove the water, it WILL be full at the end of a season …

Speaking of which. I discovered this. It was kinda camo'd up from the bottom paint. I went WTF? Apparently that is where there was a rudder zinc mounted and it rotted away. I will have it welded up when I get it around a tower shop, but in the meantime I dug in my tool box and found a anodized alum 1/8in pipe plug. so I drilled and tapped the hole for that.

100_4846_zps0c398dd9.jpg

100_4849_zpsda81aea5.jpg

My bracket is like that. I put a Marlon drain in the hole closest to the transom and a 3" zinc off that other hole. I just use a thru-bolt there, with a good washer and sealant on the inside.

I just use a thru-hole there, with a good washer and sealant on the inside.

Sorry....I lost you on that part Dale. Yea usually they use the pancake style "Rudder Zinc" on the brackets.

It has to have a small bare spot around the hole for it to make contact with on the bracket where the Zinc has a crush area. If it does not make a connection.....Like a star washer makes a electrical connection....It will not work correctly and protect the alum.

Back