Correct Fortress Anchor fo 2300 CC DV

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nobplt

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2300 CC DV. It has 225' of anchor line and 12' of chain with a seems like 20 lb danforth anchor that I just can't come to grips with. I had a fortress on my old 23' Grady Gulfstream that I loved. I can't remember if it was an FX-7 or FX-11. Fortress recommends a FX-7 (their smallest) for up to 27 foot boats, but it seems a little small. Does anyone have the FX-7 on their 2300 CC DV and is it enough. I will be fishing the lower Chesapeake Bay and coastal waters up to about 60 feet of water and a lot of current. The little man in back of my head is telling me to go with the step above recommended (FX-11). P.S. Before you say it I know I may need a little more line :)

I have a FX-7. The FX-11 may be too long to fit in the anchor locker. Most important is having enough chain. I have not anchored my 23 in water deeper that 20 feet yet but on my 21se I would anchor in 150' with no problem.

I think you are right, the FX-11 may not fit in the anchor locker. May just take my chances on the FX-7. I'll post some pictures of my ride when I get her straight. What year is yours ?

Please post how the Fortress works as I am still searching for the right combination. Having the larger console and big T-top it picks up the wind. I have not used a Fortress but can tell the #8 danforth style didnt hold. I used a #13 cut the flukes to fit the anchor locker and she holds fast.
I might go back to the #8 as the #13 gets heavy when anchoring a lot like in flounder fishing. I am thinking at least 30 feet of chain with a lighter anchor is needed.

I can't understand the purpose of a Fortress and all the expense?

What do you gain, other than an anchor so light that it will follow the chain down to the bottom. I've seen them tangle because of this.

You also need to add a lot more chain to make them work right. To me, that defeats the purpose.

Just wondering guys. :mrgreen:

John im with you I own one and i am not impressed. I have a difficult time hooking up with it during tog season when the current is ripping, Ive actually taken it off the boat in the fall the past two seasons and gone with my old heavy anchor. They are good for anchoring in sand and thats about it.

I have one and feel a little like that too. I use a lot of chain so I guess I don't know the difference. It is a great anchor to use off the stearn when backing up to the beach.

You can add me to the aluminum danforth (FX) official hater list as well.

When I had my Parker 23 DVCC I played the aluminum game. The FX11 will not fit the anchor locker tray. Didn't care for it's performance or straightening it out constantly either.

If I had to make a suggestion to the OP it would be to either use an anchor ball and keep the current setup he has. Or, get windlass and 22# Delta.

With a windlass, use the boat length as a guide for chain length.

Using the anchor ball, I would go with about 15 ft of chain a little heavier than the 1/4 g4/bbb stuff. The ball will lift it just fine.

I'll see if I can find a link on using the ball.

Found the "redneck version" and it's done correctly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nxM7VPOC4M

Thanks for all the replies. They are exactly what I was looking for. The reason of my interest was purely weight reduction, ease of handling. The one I had on my last boat worked fine. Nothing amazing but it did hold the boat, and was easy to handle. I anchored consistently in Chesapeake Bay and Chesapeake Light Tower without issue. It held the first time, every time. I think I will call Fortress and see if they will guarantee their advertised holding power.

Back