Yamaha F225 Corrosion Complaints

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
> From: "Yamaha Outboard Parts Forum" <[email protected]>
> Date: July 29, 2013, 1:09:
> Subject: Reply to thread 'Corrosion Controversy w Yamaha F225's?',
>
> have subscribed to entitled - Corrosion Controversy w Yamaha F225's? - in the Yamaha Outboard Forum forum of Yamaha Outboard Parts Forum.
>
> This thread is located at:
> http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/foru ... -post.html
>
> Here is the message that has just been posted:
> ***************
> Hi, My name is Ellen Obletz. I am a consumer protection litigation assistant at the law firm Girard Gibbs LLP. We are investigating consumer complaints that first generation Yamaha outboard motors rapidly corrode within 500 to 700 hours of use, and necessitate costly repairs or replacement. If you are interested in assisting our investigation or sharing your experience with us, please email [email protected], call 866-981-4800, or visit our website at Yamaha Outboard Motor Corrosion Buildup & Repairs | Lawsuit Investigation of Yamaha First Generation Outboard Motors (http://www.girardgibbs.com/yamaha-outboard-corrosion/).
> ***************

Reich & Binstock Attorneys Represent Plaintiffs in Yamaha Class Action Lawsuit
The Houston-based law firm of Reich & Binstock represents the plaintiff in the first class action lawsuit to be filed in California against Yamaha in regard to alleged defects in an outboard recreational boat motor. Meanwhile, attorneys will investigate the circumstances of more purchasers of the allegedly flawed motor to determine whether they may be entitled to compensation.

Seattle resident George Williams paid more than $3,000 to repair the damage allegedly caused by a buildup of corrosion on the internal components of his Yamaha First Generation Four Stroke Outboard motor. As Yamaha allegedly has refused to recall, repair or replace free of charge the defective product, Williams, represented by the Houston-based law firm of Reich & Binstock, filed a class action lawsuit July 15 in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (Case No. 2:2013cv05066).

Reich & Binstock’s attorneys will investigate the circumstances of other First Generation Four Stroke Outboard purchasers who come forward with repair or replacement bills attributable to the concealed corrosion. They too may be entitled to compensation. If the court certifies the class, it would include U.S. residents “who purchased one or more Yamaha 2000 to 2004 model year First Generation Four Stroke Outboard motors,” according to the complaint.

On behalf of Williams, attorneys for Reich & Binstock, namely Debra Brewer Hayes and Charles C. Hunter, assert in the complaint that “Plaintiff and the Class members are entitled to equitable and injunctive relief against Defendants, including recall and replacement, restitution and/or other relief as appropriate.”

Hayes and Hunter cite in the complaint two key dilemmas with which Williams and the rest of the class were beset, both of which would be redressed by Yamaha’s recall, free replacement, rescission or restitution.

First, the damage is allegedly concealed until it is too late. As the petition reads, “the hidden buildup of corrosion would not be discovered, even by trained mechanics performing annual service checks, until the engines actually begin to evidence symptoms such as leaking oil, giving the mechanic a reason to open up the engine and expose the corrosion.”

Hence, signs of damage tend to crop up after the expiration of Yamaha’s three-year warranty, which “covers the costs of parts and labor for major components.”

Second, the cost can be stratospheric. The complaint avers these allegations: “[O]nce the corrosion problems were detected, some consumers have incurred the premature expense of purchasing a new outboard engine, rather than paying the prohibitive cost of repairs. (In some cases, owners reported being faced with repair estimates totaling 50 percent of the cost of simply abandoning the defective outboard and purchasing a new engine from the dealer.) One owner reported in an online post that, faced with severe corrosion to both his twin First Generation Four Stroke Outboards, he spent $34,000 to replace the engines with new ones, discarding the old engines after only 500 hours of use.”

Williams purchased a boat equipped with the allegedly defective outboard in 2003. His warranty expired in 2006. In 2011, after Williams had used the boat for about 688 hours, “without incident and with regularly scheduled service,” he noticed that the boat was leaking oil. He learned about the corrosion during follow-on service and inspection. This timeline is contained in the complaint.

There may be others who have faced replacement or repair costs related to post-warranty corrosion damage on a Yamaha 2000 to 2004 model year First Generation Four Stroke Outboard motor. For a free attorney consultation to determine whether there is an entitlement to compensation, one may contact Reich & Binstock online by submitting the electronic case evaluation request form posted at http://www.reichandbinstock.com.

I am considering purchase of a 2007 250 four stroke on a 2510...............should I be concerned about this problem ?

Does anyone know if it was definitely corrected by 2007 vintage ????????????

Any help on this much appreciated !

sarge

Hi Brent - thanks for taking the time to help me. I certainly agree about the scoping and will do that if I get an offer accepted. Apparently the stamp on the motor actually says manufactured 03/2006 and apparently this was put on a 2007 2510 XL and sold as new. I don't know why that motor would not be classified as a left over or non current model year and listed as a 2006 engine on any title document but the broker doesn't think so......... a little strange and I want to be careful regarding actual value.
thanks again -
sarge

Reich & Binstock adds plaintiffs to Yamaha F-Series class action lawsuit
Attorneys with Houston-based Reich & Binstock continue to investigate nationwide consumer grievances about an allegedly defective Yamaha outboard recreational boat motor that has stuck many owners with prohibitive replacement or repair costs. Meanwhile, the law firm, which seeks to represent clients in all 50 states, has filed an amended complaint in the class action lawsuit filed in California against Yamaha in regard to the alleged defects.
Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail a friend

Corrosion inside the Yamaha First Generation Four Stroke Outboard motor costs owners thousands of dollars in repair or replacement costs.
We are receiving eight to 10 calls a week from people experiencing the same problems.
HOUSTON (PRWEB) September 19, 2013

Attorneys for the Houston-based law firm of Reich & Binstock have filed an amended complaint that has added class representatives and causes of action to the class action lawsuit filed in California against Yamaha in regard to alleged defects in the Yamaha First Generation Four Stroke Outboard motor.
Reich & Binstock Of Counsel Debra Brewer Hayes and other attorneys jointly filed the amended complaint Sept. 5 at U.S. District Court for the Central District of California in the case of Williams et al. v. Yamaha Motor Co. Ltd. et al. (Case No. 2:13-cv-05066-BRO-VBK). The complaint cited an “inherent design and/or manufacturing defect” that caused corrosion buildup that “forced owners such as Plaintiffs … to undergo significant repair or replacement of the internal corroded parts.”
The class representatives claimed that although they followed recommended maintenance schedules, internal corrosion resulted in significant repair or replacement costs after as few as 380 hours of use; nevertheless, allegedly Yamaha, citing warranty expiration, failed to replace or to repair plaintiffs’ motors.
As Reich & Binstock continues to receive calls from disgruntled owners of a Yamaha First Generation Four Stroke Outboard motor, the number of class representatives is by no means exhaustive.
“We are receiving eight to 10 calls a week from people experiencing the same problems,” Hayes said, adding that Reich & Binstock is also investigating premature-failure claims from the owners of Mercury outboard motors.
The class is headed by namesake plaintiff and Seattle resident George Williams, who used his outboard for a relatively scant 650 hours, from September 2003 to November 2011, before internal corrosion allegedly caused an oil leak. He paid a repair invoice totalling $3,011.91.
One of the new class representatives is Goldsboro, N.C., resident Lorenda Overman, who operated her Yamaha F-Series motor for only 512 hours between 2005 and 2011. In September 2011, according to the complaint, a “‘rotten’ exhaust tuner and a hole in the exhaust housing” and other corrosion damage was too much for her F225, which overheated and failed at sea near Cape Lookout Lighthouse near Core Banks, N.C. Overman and her guests had to be rescued at sea, indeed towed back to shore, and she wound up paying a repair bill totalling $3,118.44.
New plaintiff Gerald Chiariello of Glen Cove, N.Y., used his Yamaha outboard for a mere 380 hours between May 2006 and March 2012 before he removed the engine’s lower unit and allegedly discovered, according to the complaint, “complete corrosion all the way through the exhaust chamber,” which cost him $2,574 worth of repairs.
Having purchased his Yamaha First Generation Four Stroke Outboard motor in September 2010, new plaintiff Charles Pencinger of Rowley, Mass., inspected his motor in March 2013 after he read Internet discussions about defects, as Chiariello did. The corrosion-related repairs cost Pencinger $3,908.63.
The most exorbitant horror story belongs to new plaintiff Steve Oetegenn of San Marcos, Calif., who claimed that he kept his two 2004 and 2006 model year outboards properly maintained after he purchased them from the first user with extended warranties intact. By the time Oetegenn discovered the corrosion, he had used his outboards for only 500 hours. He found out about the problems during a 2012 sea trial during which he was about to close the sale of his boat. Smoke rose from one of the engines, and after Oetegenn took both engines to be serviced, he learned that both corroded so severely that the repair costs would be about $20,000. He elected to pay $31,337.62 for two new F225 outboards. Oetegenn’s claims are contained in the complaint.
In addition to violations of a federal warranty statute and breach of state express and implied warranties, the complaint alleges that the motor company violated California’s Consumer Legal Remedies and Unfair Competition statutes. Causes of action added by the amended complaint include Yamaha’s alleged violations of the Massachusetts Consumer Protection Act, the New York Generation Business Law, the North Carolina Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act and the Washington Consumer Protection Act. The complaint demands a jury trial.
Hayes takes calls and e-mails from across the country from owners who have had similar problems with either the Yamaha First Generation Four Stroke Outboard motor or a Mercury outboard motor. Those who contact her may be entitled to compensation and inclusion in the class action. Her contact information is as follows:
Phone: (713) 622-7271
E-mail: [email protected]
Address: 4265 San Felipe, Suite 1000, Houston, TX 77027

I work for a repair facility that services Yamaha outboards, and 2 other brands. I have not been impressed with the relatively major and expensive repairs to Yamaha engines, especially the 200 + hp. These are newer motors that should not need such repairs. (the corrosion problem, failed power heads etc) with little operating hours. The midrange Yamahas also have a corrosion problem with the copper thermostats corroding through the aluminum housings. The housing is part of the block casting so when it rots through, replace the block, or throw out an otherwise good motor.

I find it disappointing that builders like Parker and Grady-White rig their boats exclusively with Yamaha engines. I know Mercury is owned by the competition (Brunswick Corp) but how about offering a selection to the consumer, and at least one american made brand.

Lots of Mercurys are rebadged Tohatsus,
the rest are "union made"

(no love here for unions)

I know many Yamaha users and no corrosion issues...all saltwater here.

Your are correct, under 30 HP Mercs are made by Tohatsu and 40-60 made in China. Outside of a trolling motor anything a parker would use is made in wisconsin. I just think it's good to buy American when the product is competitive, which in my experience Mercury is.

I am looking at a 2006, was the problem rectified by then. My concern is that it is possible a 2066 boat just might have a first generation 2005 motor.

I guess I have to determine if the F225 on this boat is a 2006 and whether or not the problem was rectified on engines made in 2006.
It looks like a very nice 2320SL, but I don't need a re-power bill right out of the gate.

Mark, the date of manufacture is clearly labeled on the side of the mounting bracket of the engine(not hard to find). My understanding is that they fixed this issue in 2005 by making a coating change. I have an early 2006 engine with 500 ish hours and my tech just looked at mine a few weeks ago during an extensive PM session which included removing the lower unit. He said 'it looked like brand new". Just have the boat checked out and move on with the purchase. It's worth the money and piece of mind. I might suggest that if they check that first and it's a go with purchase you can have them perform any PM items while its at the shop so you will be good to go when you pick it up. Good luck

A few more questions gentlemen.

Is the fix they use to repair the damage the problem caused, or is it also a remedy to the problem? In other words does the fix give you a reasonable expectation the problem won't reoccur?

On an average, how many hours would one expect to get out of the life of a F225? Give or take depending on usage?

Thanks for the help.

m2cw
In theory look different that the odd parts, like a ceramic coating and the Ft Meyers shop said yes much better parts.
I would ask Andy at SIM. He was on Hull Truth but left. He is around Yamaha OB and info daily plus he is in the league as Jim at BOE and TabMan at Bennett trim tabs

A good mechanic knowledgeable about the issue and will take pics is worth the money

To date there is no smoking gun to take on Yamaha and litigation could take years. They can fight in court just like Hillary. Us working guys cant afford it and no one says anything on settlement amount. I am holding my breath for a free hat

I just know if caught early it is repairable,and parts are supposedly better

m2cw

I had my 2004 motor repaired two years back, below are pics showing all the parts they replaced to give you an idea. My Yamaha mechanic opinion was that these are great motors except for that issue, and it was well worth repairing and that he has done the exhaust replacement on boats that are used locally for crabbing and after the replacement some have 3000 hrs on them and still going.

Attachments

• exhaust 1.jpg
    exhaust 1.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 420
  • exhaust 2.jpg
    exhaust 2.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 420
Back