150 HPDI chugging when idling

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markman03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 150 HPDI is chugging when at idle. Runs ok when at advanced throttle positions. I am thinking I need to change all my filters. Any thought guys?

Reactions: DSW
How long has it been since you last changed the filters?

I switched mechancis a few years ago and I have a 200 hpdi. Previous mechanic changed all the filters annually which included FW seperator, 10 micron filter, vst tank filters and hp filter. Last three years the new mechanic only does the 10 micron and F/W seperator annually. Im curious what he will recommend this year as it will be about 350 hours since the VST and HP filters were done. HP Pump and fuel injectors were serviced about 500 hours ago. and outboard runs flawlessly.

I work on a 150 HPDI that had a rough idle. I clean out the dog bone and O2 sensor every two years, and changed the low pressure pumps this year. The pumps made a big difference.

I dropped it off to a friend of mine and he is going to change all of the filters and the O2 sensor and dog bone. The pumps were changed in April with the filters. I felt like I was losing top end a little before the idle issue started. A dirty O2 sensor makes sense.

Possible clogged fuel injector screens/fillters. They are tiny filters that are attached to the inlet side of the injectors. You need to remove the fuel rails and pull the injectors. The filters are readily available at most diesel injection repair facilities. I replaced mine twice in 6 years. I now use a 2 micron racor, problem solved.

Went out this morning to try to run the piss out of the engine. Injectors are next. I am leaning toward getting rid of the HPDI headache and re- powering to a four stroke this winter.

My 150 HPDI is chugging when at idle. Runs ok when at advanced throttle positions. I am thinking I need to change all my filters. Any thought guys?
Had the same problem with mine.
I had the dealer clean the injectors and it runs perfect!
Mine was chugging and knocking at idle and was slow to plane.
it now runs like new.

I had a pinhole in the gas line near the squeeze bulb that caused chugging. I don't have an HPDI, but the principle is the same.

Back