150 yamaha which is best

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOST TIME

Reaction score
I would like to here from you guys about two stroke carb, HDPI or four stroke. Dealer keeps telling me the four stroke has better resale value,but when I googled the engines only the four stroke came back with negative info. Please help!

i guess it depends on the motor size . my 250 hpdi has had more than one new powerhead on a 03 parker 2520. everyone i seem to talk to loves the 4 strokes. i would never have another 250 hpdi motor

The four stroke is all the rage now. Most buyers would prefer a four stroke today (in my opinion). I love the 2.6 liter 150/200hp HPDI. It is one of the best motors that Yamaha has ever built. I would rather have the v6 HPDI over the I4 of the four stroke.

But the truth is, that you would most likely be better off from a resale stand point with the four stroke. I feel that alot of boaters with minimum knowledge about OB technology would want the four stroke just because that is what everyone is pushing. Plus, if someone googles HPDI Yamaha they read about the 3.1 liter and 3.3 liter 250/300hp issues. The 250/300hp had some teething problems early on and go a bad rep. The 150/200hp were bulletproof.

I would not consider an EFI/Carb engine. It is outdated technology. You can get 20%-30% better fuel economy with DFI or four stroke technology. If you use your boat alot, the upgrade to the new engine will pay for its self in fuel in the short run and then some. This is not saying that repowering an existing boat makes sense but buying new/used it would be worth the extra 2k-4k for the better engine.

Just my 2 cents

I just finished up a 6-month+ shop for used Yamaha 200s. Looked at carbed, OX66 and HPDI. Of the three, the HPDIs had by far the highest number of powerhead replacements. Maybe there's just more out there, or they get used harder, but that definitely played a role in my decision.

Carbed I wasn't excited about. The rep. as the oldest technology out there w/ the worst fuel economy did them in.

So, I ended up with a pair of '00 200 OX66s w/ under 100 hours. Based on my research they seemed to be the best blend of performance, economy and reliabilty. Getting them ready for rigging on my Grady now.

Given the three you mentioned, I would pick the 4-strokes.

My brother has a 200 HPDI and had a few issues with E10 and the VST filter. Other than that it's been a good motor with plenty of power and torque. But most people (not everyone) want 4 strokes.

There's a guy on tidal fish that blew 2-200 HPDI up, I don't know what happened but Yamaha covered it.

Anthony,

Skip doesnt know what happened for sure but it is thought that an injector went bad in each motor. He lost one and it turned out the other had a similar problem after he lost the first. They probably went lean in one cylinder ea. To Yamahas credit, they treated him well and has him back up and running without argument.

Being yamaha not really supporting dfi's anymore, I would go 4 stroke. If you want DFI 2 stokes go with the Optimax or Etec!

I ran a 2001 200-hp HPDI engine on my Parker 23 SE for 7 seasons. I put about 600 hours on the engine. It performed flawlessly for me the whole time. I averaged 3 miles/gal too.

I sold the boat in late August 2008. Reportedly, the new buyer experienced engines troubles shortly after buying the boat. I am not sure of the details or his resolution.

Did you see that the Etec scored more points than all Yams, even the 4 strokes?

That motor is coming on strong! :lol:

B-Faithful":1r01e6eg said:
Did you see that the Etec scored more points than all Yams, even the 4 strokes?

That motor is coming on strong! :lol:

Yah, but they're expen$ive and run even more expen$ive oil!

I wouldn't say they (Bombaradier) are true French either, as French Canadians are "in-betweeners". You may have not heard, but the 300th anniversary event for the Plains of Abraham event in Quebec have been canceled :shock: due to serious threats of terrorist attacks by French separatists. No kidding ...

FWIW, I'd go for the either the Yamaha 150hp 4-stroke or the Suzuki 4-stroke.

I have 700 hours on a pair of F-115s, and they haven't missed a beat. If I ever have to repower, it will be with a pair of F-115s or maybe a pair of F-150s.

I have carb 2-strokes on the little wooden Porkchunker. They have few moving parts and are bullet-proof...but they do drink fuel.

Dave

aka

Without a doubt go with the 4 stroke Yamaha.
HPDI's a good motors, but I've heard too many horror stories about the oil injection system not doing it's job, and causing failure.
My buddy had a 250HPDI with 130 hours that blew as we were heading back from Boca Grande to Tampa two years ago. Yamaha paid the bill, but 130hours???????? Now he has a "rebuilt" motor that he'll never be able to sell.

optimaxfish":3hdky2s1 said:
DaleH":3hdky2s1 said:
You may have not heard, but the 300th anniversary event for the Plains of Abraham event in Quebec have been canceled :shock: due to serious threats of terrorist attacks by French separatists. No kidding ...

French terrorists? :shock:

Whatta they do...........suffocate the enemy with their surrender towels? :lol:

For Sale: French rifles. Good Condition: never fired and only dropped once :lol: :lol: :lol:

in reference to the original question: i dont know a whole lot about the HPDIs. but i do know that the 150 four strokes are considered to be a very good engine, i have two friends with twins and nary a problem between them (knock on wood). engines are very quiet and very good on fuel. kinda makes me wonder if i miss the drone of my 1995, carbed 2 strokes or not :? good luck. hard to go wrong with the choice between the two. im not sure i would consider oil as a huge concern, yea they burn it, but not tons of it and once you figure in gas, its not a big enough expense to base a decision significant;y around.

I finally found my 2120. I had to travel a little but I found a new 2008 left over it has a 150 four stroke and the dealer threw in a six year warranty. He just ordered the trailer I will be picking up the boat in the next two to three weeks. thanks for the advice.

I have a 2004 2 stroke regular carb 150 on my 21SE with 1450 hours. It gets great millage (2.3 gallons to the mile) but the reason I went for this motor is because there are times in the islands that I end up with bad gas. It seems that the older carb motors just stutter a little but I can still run. In addition the only work that has been done was having the carbs rebuild once at 1000 hours, but that always seems to be the norm. If you could find one, I would suggest getting one…

Google for "French military victories" and click on the first link. It will say "page not found...did you mean French military defeats" Click on that and it will give you something fun to read.

Dave

aka

Porkchunker":alcjr4rz said:
Google for "French military victories" and click on the first link. It will say "page not found...did you mean French military defeats" Click on that and it will give you something fun to read.

Dave

aka

I shouldn't laugh to hard, I'm part French :shock:

Back