150hp on a 25MV Parker Pilothouse?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captbone

Reaction score
I was just wondering how the 25 MV pilothouse performs with 150/175/200hp 2 strokes. I have seen only a few boat with these but remember a dealer selling the 150hp as standard power. Anyone have performance # with these powerplants? Thanks

I'd say way under-powered.

Rule of thumb is to locate the MAX hull horsepower rating of the hull (normally on the manufacturer's data plate), and then calculate 75% of that. Don't go under 75%.

The 25 MV hull has a MAX HP of 300-325 (depending on year), which means you need somewhere between 225 and 250 HP. The DV hull has a MAX HP of 500, which means you need 375 HP.

The twin F-115s drive my 2510 MV fine, but there are bluebird days when I wish I had more HP to cruise at 35 instead of 25. I believe most of the folks here on CP with 25 MV hulls are running 225 to 250 singles, with one who recently re-powered to twin F-150s. The single 225-250 drive these boats very well.

I believe most of the 25 DVs are running twin 200s or better. I remember someone saying they had a 25 DV with a single 250, but don't remember their numbers.

If for some reason I ever need to repower, I'll likely go with a pair of F-150s.

captbone,

Seems you are trying to get into the boat on the cheap, which is ok, if you go cheap on the right things. If you go below a 225, I'm positive you will be disappointed. The money for the proper HP is well spent.

Skimp on other options which you can apply later yourself. If I was going bare-bones, I'd probably get the full transom witha a 225 on a bracket and a bow pulpit, and add everything else myself over several years.

captbone":31wao8ge said:
I was just wondering how the 25 MV pilothouse performs with 150/175/200hp 2 strokes. I have seen only a few boat with these but remember a dealer selling the 150hp as standard power. Anyone have performance # with these powerplants? Thanks

If you check the Parker site, the 25' MV power options are twin F-150s. I can't imagine Parker releasing a 25' MV with a single F-150.

I have no intentions of buying any of these. I was walking down the marina the other day and I saw a 175hp on a 25MV and wonder about power and how it runs?

There have been days with a full load of fuel, and a full load of 'sightseers' that I've noticed my boat struggling to get up and running with a 225 OX66...

I wouldn't want to try that with a 175. :shock:

That boat has to be a repower. No way the factory would build one like that.

Porkchunker":obiv2aif said:
I remember someone saying they had a 25 DV with a single 250, but don't remember their numbers.

Dave, I believe that Capt Wayne Morgans 2520 is a DV.
I believe he replaced his single 2-stroke Merc with an F250 Yamaha last year.

This was a SWII Yamaha 175hp and looked to be from the factory with this. I even remember reading somewhere a few years ago that 150hp was an option. I guess it can plane it off? I am just curious, I have seen a 25 Bertram redone with a 150 ficht in the carribean that ran almost 30mph top.

I believe DaleH's 25 originally had a 175 on it when it was used as a marine research vessel.

gf":1i7yh7wo said:
I believe DaleH's 25 originally had a 175 on it when it was used as a marine research vessel.
It actually had a stock 150hp Evinrude carb'd motor on it with a low-pitched prop. All it did was circle Bahstin Haba (Boston Harbor), which is a headway speed only area, so it never had the ponies needed to get up on plane.

I will tell you, once I did get my hull up on plane @ 13 knots using a 90hp OB with a 10" pitch 4-blade prop! Not that I advise it though ... ;)

Mine is a 200hp mariner OptiMax and it gets up on plane with 6 divers, 3 tanks each, and crusies at 28mph with all that load. Performace is very good. It is a MV, notched transom. If I repower I would go with a 225 or 250 just because I can. But, with my deadrise I rarely get to go near max cruising speed except in the morning. I would not go less than 200hp.

Jon

I occasionally ride on a 2510 w/single 200. Runs very well unless you need to get the bow down and push through the slop. At that point you want for more juice.

Back