17/18' Trolling Motor Install- Lithium Batteries?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelagic2530

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because my wallet is a glutton for punishment, I'm mulling over the thought of installing a spot-lock trolling motor on the 1700.

Based on the installations seen documented here, I'm likely going to go with a 60", 80lb 24v unit. Manufacturer TBD. I've heard that Motorguide units will network with Simrad electronics. Anyone have any feedback as to how useful that networking ability actually is, versus simply using the internal GPS for spotlock?

For anyone with a 24v system on an 1801 (or any other platform), what size batteries did you go with, and what does the battery life look like in normal operation?

On that note, I'm also debating the merits of using lithium batteries (Dakota or the like) as opposed to the traditional deep-cycles. Obviously, the cost increase for 2 batteries is significant. Has anyone used these, and if so, what's your impression of them so far? Can they be charged with a "normal" battery charger, or do they need a special unit? Is the additional cost worth the extra battery life and weight savings?

Any other feedback from the various members that have done this would be awesome. I've read through all the posts I can find, but if anyone has anything to add that would be great!

Because my wallet is a glutton for punishment, I'm mulling over the thought of installing a spot-lock trolling motor on the 1700.

Based on the installations seen documented here, I'm likely going to go with a 60", 80lb 24v unit. Manufacturer TBD. I've heard that Motorguide units will network with Simrad electronics. Anyone have any feedback as to how useful that networking ability actually is, versus simply using the internal GPS for spotlock?

For anyone with a 24v system on an 1801 (or any other platform), what size batteries did you go with, and what does the battery life look like in normal operation?

On that note, I'm also debating the merits of using lithium batteries (Dakota or the like) as opposed to the traditional deep-cycles. Obviously, the cost increase for 2 batteries is significant. Has anyone used these, and if so, what's your impression of them so far? Can they be charged with a "normal" battery charger, or do they need a special unit? Is the additional cost worth the extra battery life and weight savings?

Any other feedback from the various members that have done this would be awesome. I've read through all the posts I can find, but if anyone has anything to add that would be great!
Pelagic,

I being a similar glutton have been considering adding a spot lock trolling motor to my 1800. I just got a quote on all the parts (including lithium batteries) from Motortech located close to you in Driver. Real nice folks that specialize in trolling motors and other expensive toys. I got prices on Terrova and Ulterra 80# thrust units. You ought to ride out and check them out - lots of stuff to look at between ongoing installs and showroom. Their price was pretty much in line with what I expected based on threads here. Here is their link:

https://www.motortechva.com/
Cap'n Dan

Pelagic,

I being a similar glutton have been considering adding a spot lock trolling motor to my 1800. I just got a quote on all the parts (including lithium batteries) from Motortech located close to you in Driver. Real nice folks that specialize in trolling motors and other expensive toys. I got prices on Terrova and Ulterra 80# thrust units. You ought to ride out and check them out - lots of stuff to look at between ongoing installs and showroom. Their price was pretty much in line with what I expected based on threads here. Here is their link:

https://www.motortechva.com/
Cap'n Dan
Thanks Dan! Always nice to have somewhere local to go check out the products. Appreciate the recommendation!

I installed a Ulterra 80# 60" on my 1801 about two years ago. Love it. Just went with two wet cells. Don't know the size, I think group 27. Maybe 24's. whatever fit in the seat locker. Battery life has not been a problem. I just plug in the charger every 3 or 4 trips.

If you go with Li batteries you definitely need a special charger. Read a little bit about the shortcomings of them before you make a choice. It's great technology but....

I installed a Ulterra 80# 60" on my 1801 about two years ago. Love it. Just went with two wet cells. Don't know the size, I think group 27. Maybe 24's. whatever fit in the seat locker. Battery life has not been a problem. I just plug in the charger every 3 or 4 trips.

If you go with Li batteries you definitely need a special charger. Read a little bit about the shortcomings of them before you make a choice. It's great technology but....
Steve, what sort of battery life are you seeing out of the batteries?

I also just got my 80# Ulterra last week, after being backordered since last October. Putting all the accessories together now. I'm going to try the Duracell AGM's in a group 31 mounted in the console. A fishing buddy of mine has these and he seemed pretty happy with them and they aren't super expensive. I went with the 2 bank Minn-Kota charger also. Once I start the install, weather permitting, I'll post up...although weather permitting here could be May!

Lithium is the way to go for : weight ( they weight close to nothing), footprint, longevity. I have just finished installing a 36V system on my Parker 2320 using (3) Relion RG50 12V in series. They weigh 16 pounds each: 48 pounds total of batteries. Minn Kota Terrova ipilot 112 pound thrust.

On our 1801 I installed (2) 31 group AGM's (70 pounds each: 140 pounds of batteries) in the console and a 24 V Rhodan on the bow.

There was a comment about "special charger" . Yep: the Powermania charger is awesome: I installed that on my 2320 for the lithium. I installed a NOCO genius on the 1801 in the console as well. It's really no big deal to buy a charger for lithium: they are approx. the same cost. The power mania does lithium or AGM.

I also own a 12V Motorguide 48" on my flats boat. It pulls it along just fine. I didn't network any of my TM to my MFD's. The flats boat and the 2320 are Simrad. The 1801 is Garmin. Truly, they are all good. But, I would only chose Minn Kota going forward. These TM's are a ton of money. May as well buy the one that has the longest and most dependable track history ( Minn Kota).

They did a pretty good job of selling me on the lithium batteries at Powertech. I was already very interested due to the weight savings alone...they weigh next to nothing, but after discussing the life cycle cosst as compared to wet cell and AGM batteries, it becomae clear to me that lithium is the way to go. Expected life of lithium batteries is up to 15 years. Yeah, they cost $500 each, but when you consider the very good warranty and expected life coupled with the weight savings, my mind was made up. The cost comparison with the other systems is probably pretty close to a wash or advantage to the lithium when you consider multiple replacements of the others during the lithium's lifespan. They also had some pretty cool features such as a smartphone app that displays remaining battery life and condition...the guy showing me around pulled the app up on his phone and it displayed every battery in the shop! When asked about how well they held a charge, they said a lot of their customers fish tournaments in the local lakes and even with using the trolling motor all day, they still had 6 hours life left in them.

sydngoose's posts on his trolling motor install on his new 2320 and how he uses it to spot lock over offshore wrecks really got me going on this. Lots of great information there!

Cap'n Dan

Lithium is the way to go for : weight ( they weight close to nothing), footprint, longevity. I have just finished installing a 36V system on my Parker 2320 using (3) Relion RG50 12V in series. They weigh 16 pounds each: 48 pounds total of batteries. Minn Kota Terrova ipilot 112 pound thrust.

On our 1801 I installed (2) 31 group AGM's (70 pounds each: 140 pounds of batteries) in the console and a 24 V Rhodan on the bow.

There was a comment about "special charger" . Yep: the Powermania charger is awesome: I installed that on my 2320 for the lithium. I installed a NOCO genius on the 1801 in the console as well. It's really no big deal to buy a charger for lithium: they are approx. the same cost. The power mania does lithium or AGM.

I also own a 12V Motorguide 48" on my flats boat. It pulls it along just fine. I didn't network any of my TM to my MFD's. The flats boat and the 2320 are Simrad. The 1801 is Garmin. Truly, they are all good. But, I would only chose Minn Kota going forward. These TM's are a ton of money. May as well buy the one that has the longest and most dependable track history ( Minn Kota).
sydngoose, with the group 31 AGMs, what was your battery life like on the 1801? Did you notice any effect on the handling of the boat with the additional 140lb of batteries?

sydngoose, with the group 31 AGMs, what was your battery life like on the 1801? Did you notice any effect on the handling of the boat with the additional 140lb of batteries?

I have never run out of battery use during a day of spot locking on the 1801 with the (2) group 31's. I also will say though that there are days that the 24V will not hold spot lock in the river.
The 36 Volt never looses spot lock and easily holds in any current ( even at the ledge last week on the 2320 where the current rips in 140 foot/water).

As far as quality of ride goes: W/ the 140 pounds of batteries in the 1801 console, it improved the ride of the 1801. The extra weight mid ship close to the belly gives the 1801 that much more mass. But, I've always thought the 1801was a superb ride for her size.
She really is such a BIG 18' boat.

I have never run out of battery use during a day of spot locking on the 1801 with the (2) group 31's. I also will say though that there are days that the 24V will not hold spot lock in the river.
The 36 Volt never looses spot lock and easily holds in any current ( even at the ledge last week on the 2320 where the current rips in 140 foot/water).

As far as quality of ride goes: W/ the 140 pounds of batteries in the 1801 console, it improved the ride of the 1801. The extra weight mid ship close to the belly gives the 1801 that much more mass. But, I've always thought the 1801was a superb ride for her size.
She really is such a BIG 18' boat.
Thanks Sydngoose. I'm less concerned about being able to hold in a heavy current. A couple knots is about as fast as I could expect to have to counter where I normally fish. I think for the size of the boat that the 24v system is probably the way to go.

Thanks Sydngoose. I'm less concerned about being able to hold in a heavy current. A couple knots is about as fast as I could expect to have to counter where I normally fish. I think for the size of the boat that the 24v system is probably the way to go.

concur 100%: Even thought there are limitations, I don't think this boat would ever justify a 36V system. If I were to do it again, I would install the 24V again on this 1801. Just understand that there are times when the wind and current are so strong, it will not hold the 1801 at spot lock.. When that occurred, we just pick another part of the river to fish.

Furthermore, as much as I am a fan of the lithium batteries for trolly's... for the 1801, the AGM weight mid ship is an asset not a liability. I knew the extra weight would help this hull, that is why she got AGM and all my other boats and applications get the lithium.

I've heard that Motorguide units will network with Simrad electronics.

Why do you need that?

Had a boat here with a Hummingbird unit on it.....asked...Why did you pick Hummingbird ? He said oh 'cause it will interface with the TM.

:( well Hummingbird is not near as powerful at receiving satellites. Is a little unorthodox to use.

But let me get to my point.

You use the outboard to get to your spot......You on ...or just off the spot..TM is deployed......Looking at your GPS while holding the TM's remote you maneuver and Hit ANCHOR on the remote...

Nothing interfaced....so why do you need that?

My dilemma with 36v I bought (trolling with it) is I presently have 2 27 battery in my 1801 console. Should I add another 3 for my Terrova in console or put them into casting platform front box? My other option is put total of 4 in CC and run my electronics from one of dedicated to trolling battery. What do you suggest?

Why do you need that?

Had a boat here with a Hummingbird unit on it.....asked...Why did you pick Hummingbird ? He said oh 'cause it will interface with the TM.

:( well Hummingbird is not near as powerful at receiving satellites. Is a little unorthodox to use.

But let me get to my point.

You use the outboard to get to your spot......You on ...or just off the spot..TM is deployed......Looking at your GPS while holding the TM's remote you maneuver and Hit ANCHOR on the remote...

Nothing interfaced....so why do you need that?
Wart, I understand your point, and it makes sense. I'm just curious as to whether anyone has done the interface, and if they've found that it offers any unexpected advantages. Exploring all my options here.

My dilemma with 36v I bought (trolling with it) is I presently have 2 27 battery in my 1801 console. Should I add another 3 for my Terrova in console or put them into casting platform front box? My other option is put total of 4 in CC and run my electronics from one of dedicated to trolling battery. What do you suggest?
If you've got the room in the forward casting box, I think that would be a no-brainer spot to put them. Keeps weight up forward, and reduces the wiring runs.

Definitely want to avoid having a cross-connection between your TM batteries and your house or starting power.

Back