1801 CC transom weight and battery move

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makida

Reaction score
Newbie here with a heavy transom due to 140hp 4 stroke as well as 2 batteries in star/port boxes! This is an older 1991 1801 which has the fuel tank (40 gal I believe) behind the CC. So add 2 guys at 200lbs each at the transom and you are close to a disaster with water coming over the motor cut out. Have not gone offshore yet for this reason. Planning on moving batteries and Perko switch to CC as far forward as possible. Also want to add trim tabs to get the bow down. Bow will not trim right without everyone forward. I'm sure the trim tabs will resolve that issue. Back to my battery move questions. I decide to go with 2awg for the CC run assuming it might be 18-20' from starter to batteries and switch??? Running all new wire for all accessories near transom while I'm at it. Are there wire pull tubes on both sides under deck? I know starboard side has one. Any help or feedback appreciated. Thanks in advance👍

Make sure you do it the rite way, I did not and now my electronics flicker when I start my engine. I left everything the same and just ran the new cables to jumper terminals. Everything works but it does bother me and would be A good amount of work to change it. Last time I had it out was the first time and I didn’t take notice to how it rested witch was the whole reason I did the move. Boat normally stays in the water and the side with the batteries scupper would be under water. Wasn’t a huge issue just didn’t like it

A BEP Cluster will solve that issue....It's a good time to install it with the battery relocation. Dump the Perko switch.......I'm on # 50 of boats I have installed BEP clusters in. Be sure to exchange the 10ga wires on the back....Factory uses automotive ends....Replace the wires with crimp/shrink connectors.

Not quite sure how a BEP cluster will solve my weight issues at the transom? Or are you saying by moving my batteries forward will solve the issue? Sorry not familiar with BEP cluster but assume it replaces my Perko switch. I will look into the BEP. Thanks for the tip. Still trying to find out before digging in if the 1801 has wiring tubes down each side under deck?

Newbie here with a heavy transom due to 140hp 4 stroke as well as 2 batteries in star/port boxes! This is an older 1991 1801 which has the fuel tank (40 gal I believe) behind the CC. So add 2 guys at 200lbs each at the transom and you are close to a disaster with water coming over the motor cut out. Have not gone offshore yet for this reason. Planning on moving batteries and Perko switch to CC as far forward as possible. Also want to add trim tabs to get the bow down. Bow will not trim right without everyone forward. I'm sure the trim tabs will resolve that issue. Back to my battery move questions. I decide to go with 2awg for the CC run assuming it might be 18-20' from starter to batteries and switch??? Running all new wire for all accessories near transom while I'm at it. Are there wire pull tubes on both sides under deck? I know starboard side has one. Any help or feedback appreciated. Thanks in advance👍

Just did basically the same exact project as you, just on a 1700. As I understand it, the main difference is that you have the transom battery boxes, and I don't. Other than that I think the rigging is the same.

As far as the rigging tubes, on mine there is only one running along the outboard side of the stbd stringer back into the bilge. From there, there is a tube running from the corner of the deck under the covering boards down into the bilge (it's pretty much just a box that leads into the beam-width bilge opening). There's one on both the port and starboard corners. So to get wires from the console to either the port or stbd side, you need to run them into the bilge, and then either up the starboard rigging tube/box, or across the bilge and up to the port rigging tube/box.

For a little more detail on the electrical work, here's my ongoing project thread. The electrical stuff is finished so it should all be there. I'm happy to answer any questions that I can be of assistance with!

https://www.classicparker.com/threads/1997-1700-overhaul-project.20040/

Not quite sure how a BEP cluster will solve my weight issues at the transom?

It will not.....The point was ...While your moving your batteries....[To move weight] It would be a good time to do the upgrade of a BEP Cluster. :)

Just did basically the same exact project as you, just on a 1700. As I understand it, the main difference is that you have the transom battery boxes, and I don't. Other than that I think the rigging is the same.

As far as the rigging tubes, on mine there is only one running along the outboard side of the stbd stringer back into the bilge. From there, there is a tube running from the corner of the deck under the covering boards down into the bilge (it's pretty much just a box that leads into the beam-width bilge opening). There's one on both the port and starboard corners. So to get wires from the console to either the port or stbd side, you need to run them into the bilge, and then either up the starboard rigging tube/box, or across the bilge and up to the port rigging tube/box.

For a little more detail on the electrical work, here's my ongoing project thread. The electrical stuff is finished so it should all be there. I'm happy to answer any questions that I can be of assistance with!

https://www.classicparker.com/threads/1997-1700-overhaul-project.20040/
OK I'm gonna have to sit down and go through your whole process before I start👍 Not sure how to pm you on this sight?

OK I'm gonna have to sit down and go through your whole process before I start👍 Not sure how to pm you on this sight?
If you click the little envelope on the upper right hand corner of the page, next to your user name, you should be able to send me a message.

Or just ask it here or on the 1700 thread, and I'll see it. Often times other people can benefit from the answer, or chime in with better knowledge!

Back