1801 Garmin placement on console

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarkbateman

Reaction score
Waiting on build of my 1801. Anyone have thoughts about placement of Garmin ..... flush mount or on bracket ??
the 2020 brochure shows flush mounted , but someone told me theirs was on a bracket ??

My plotter is on a bracket. But I think the more important question is location. I have it centered on the wheel, not centered on the console. The standard arrangement back then (2015) was to put the compass on the wheel centerline. But I always run on the river, so my navigation is almost completely visual. I don't steer by compass. It was more important to me to have the fish finder in my line of sight than the compass. If you steer a lot by compass then that should be centered on the wheel and your plotter/fishfinder to the right. Make sense?

I almost never use a compass. I would prefer to have the Garmin flush mounted due to keeping wiring in a dry condition under the console. Secondly , I think it looks like a more fit and finish flush mounted like all the other devices on the console.

I just got a 2021, 1801 this summer. The Garmin is on a bracket. I think the bracket is the best option, electronics change fast and a big hole in the console may not fit your next unit. The wiring looks weather proof and you can easily remove the unit and store it inside if you want. I like the way the console is set up and the compass is in a good spot. R

My 2017 has the tiny Garmin mounted flat in the dash. Hard to see, nearly impossible in bright sun. Between that and the damn useless stereo, I can't put a larger one, say 10 inch or so, in the dash. Yet it would look funny to mount a larger one on a bracket behind the small one. Maybe next year, if the boat sales craziness subsides, we will look into a 23 SE.

I'm not sure I would flush mount. The console isn't big enough and the hole would be awful to deal with if you had to.

From the Parker website:
SmartSelect_20200910-073903_Chrome.jpg

From local dealer:
20200620_152009.jpg

On my older model (I moved the original compass for aesthetics):
20200826_104720.jpg

Hope that helps.
Jim

Washingtonskinnies What T-top are you running on your old Sou'wester I'm rebuilding a 1985 18 now and am
I'm not sure I would flush mount. The console isn't big enough and the hole would be awful to deal with if you had to.

From the Parker website:
View attachment 26045

From local dealer:
View attachment 26046

From the Parker website:
View attachment 26045

From local dealer:
View attachment 26046

View attachment 26047

Hope that helps.
Jim
Jim What T-top are you running on that old Sou'wester, I'm rebuilding one now and looking for a little shade when i get it back together. Have the floor and gas tank out now to do some rot repair and wondering if i need to do some reinforcing for it? Also have you built some type of seating up front or is the guy setting/laying on a cooler?

Seeing the pix's now....For Sure I would use the Bail mount.

Need a small radio? Oh and the best radio? Fusion 55

The Garmin supplied GPS is a nice compact unit for the 1801. It's a little basic, push button only, no touchscreen, but its fast and has two sonar options. Happy with the Fusion 55, nice modern radio. Nice that these two items come with the boat, only need to add a hand held VHF. Rick

Washingtonskinnies What T-top are you running on your old Sou'wester I'm rebuilding a 1985 18 now and am

@Sou'wester-18 Wish I could tell you, but it came with the hull upon purchase. What I know is that bigger is better with T-tops! More shade and negligable performance difference compared to smaller Ttop. Here's a full photo20200726_185026.jpg

The flush mount Garmin looks nice, but like I said, it would be a serious issue to contend with should you change sizes/brand/etc later.

@Sou'wester-18 Wish I could tell you, but it came with the hull upon purchase. What I know is that bigger is better with T-tops! More shade and negligable performance difference compared to smaller Ttop. Here's a full photoView attachment 26054

The flush mount Garmin looks nice, but like I said, it would be a serious issue to contend with should you change sizes/brand/etc later.
That's a sweet looking ride! I like the leaning post/seat as well It looks like it has been well taken care of. I hope I can bring mine back to look this good. How does the 90 merc do ?

I have a garmin 7610xsv on the dash. Actually selling it since I’m selling the boat

Attachments

• 10A3101E-70BD-47A0-AF63-24B3B826867B.jpeg
    10A3101E-70BD-47A0-AF63-24B3B826867B.jpeg
    954.1 KB · Views: 1
Back