1801 Helm/Console storage options

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reellucky18

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

Anyone with an 1801 do anything creative with the helm/console to take advantage of such wasted space for storage? Right now, I have my batteries in the console and of course all wiring for the boat, but I wanted to add some type of removable platform above the batteries that I can leverage for additional dry storage for temporary items (i.e. backpacks, jackets, etc.). Anyone do anything creative and can share some ideas and pictures?

Thanks in advance,
Reel Lucky

I do not have the cooler option under the front console seat, so mine is one big open space. I put a divider at the back of the space where the cooler would be to keep stuff there from mixing with stuff under the console (a piece of plywood fastened on both ends to the sides of the console). That's the only mod I've made. Almost everything inside the console is in plastic bins of various sizes.Makes it easier to keep it organized and find what you are looking for. Things that don't get used often (like fenders and space anchor/rode) are at the back/bottom.

My trolling motor batteries are in the front of the console, under the front seat, in full battery boxes with lids. I have about 5" on top of the boxes where I can store light stuff.

Sorry, no pictures.

Thank you 1801Steve! I do have the front cooler on mine, so I have more of a box area to work with.
Shame on me for posting without a current pic. I’ll update here once some of the snow melts & I can get back in the boat.

I have one idea that I cut from spare plywood (with intentions of doing the final pieces from starboard) that basically fits into the space in two separate pieces. Easy to put in/out, but I just have to figure out how to mount/support these pieces & ensure they don’t bounce around on those snotty days. More thinking needed here, but again I’ll share what I have when I can get back out there.

Here’s what I did for mine:
D46A55C2-4496-424B-B3EF-B68024F2A5F7.jpeg9F470266-43BA-4472-AA69-0EC881DFD411.jpeg
The batteries underneath are for the trolling motor, but it would work for whatever you’ve got in there. It’s just a piece of PVC board cut to fit, and secured to the tops of the threaded rods used by this type of battery mount:6B27672C-6131-485D-AB5B-5787D6FCEB1D.jpeg
I had contemplated building a box of some sort, but securing it to the inside of the console with limited access would have been difficult. This protects the terminals and the batteries while allowing for items to be stored on top of them. Works great!

This is my current situation. That rats nest of wires goes up to the helm and I simply cannot see me trying to redo all of that mess. The box to the right on these pics is a front cooler. I am thinking of making the platform out of 1/2" starboard in 2 pieces (so it can go in/out easy). Need to find a way to attach them to the console itself, which I may create some sort of ledge where the two pieces of the console come together & these planks simply sit on that ledge. Unless anyone has any other ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_4520.jpeg
    IMG_4520.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4521.jpeg
    IMG_4521.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 74
Your "rats nest" isnt that bad. I've seen way worse. You could (and should) tidy it up in a short time. Just trace the loose ones out, repair any questionable connections (I see a wire nut) label, reroute and secure properly. You'll be glad you did and so will the next owner.
Once your satisfied you can build your shelf. You could support it using some vertical pieces (using the cutoffs if any). Attach with some 4200/5200. Or fasteners through the console using the existing holes at the seam.
My 1801 console gets moldy inside by the end of the season maybe add some ventilation.

Thanks Tomc585. I am not the original owner (maybe #3???), so I inherited this eyesore for me to figure out how to fix it. I do actually plan to clean this up a bit in the spring time when I replace my GPS unit. That wirenut you see actually is used somehow in the wiring of the current GPS. I am also confident there are a number of other mystery wires that are no longer in use (i.e. old bilge wires that are no longer in use).

Once the weather breaks above 50 degrees here, I plan to focus on this along with some new electronic installs. This console already has a vent, but i am guessing it could use some additional venting for relief. More details to come late March 2022 or April, whenever I can work on this outside.

I cut 2 pcs. of stainless steel angle iron to length, match-marked and bored holes to fit the existing fasteners of the 2-piece console (my 1801 is a 2006 so this may not apply), using longer bolts- mounted the angle iron pieces, cut a piece of 3/4" PT plywood to fit. It works like a charm! As far as venting, I open the hatches and doors during storage- no worries.

Jonas Grumby

Thanks Tomc585. I am not the original owner (maybe #3???), so I inherited this eyesore for me to figure out how to fix it. I do actually plan to clean this up a bit in the spring time when I replace my GPS unit. That wirenut you see actually is used somehow in the wiring of the current GPS. I am also confident there are a number of other mystery wires that are no longer in use (i.e. old bilge wires that are no longer in use).

Once the weather breaks above 50 degrees here, I plan to focus on this along with some new electronic installs. This console already has a vent, but i am guessing it could use some additional venting for relief. More details to come late March 2022 or April, whenever I can work on this outside.
What does the vent look like or where is it? I bought an 1801 this past fall and had mildew on the life jackets just after a few trips.

You can add a few louvered vents to the console (and a fan if you need more airflow). When I return to the slip, I do a rinse down and wipe dry. I then put the console cover on which traps moisture under it. If I use the boat daily it doesn't happen, It's a tradeoff, mildew or seagull poop.

I cut 2 pcs. of stainless steel angle iron to length, match-marked and bored holes to fit the existing fasteners of the 2-piece console (my 1801 is a 2006 so this may not apply), using longer bolts- mounted the angle iron pieces, cut a piece of 3/4" PT plywood to fit. It works like a charm! As far as venting, I open the hatches and doors during storage- no worries.

Jonas Grumby
That’s a great idea! Wish I had thought of that.

Back