1801 recommendations

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mchesney

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought a 2012 1801 with the Yamaha 115 4 stroke. I think I got a heck of a deal at 14k with only 160 hrs on boat/motor and it looks to be in great shape! It has the Bimini top, integrated seat/livewell, and swim platform.
I've always had bass boats but we're moving to Port Orange, FL near the Ponce inlet and I'd like to fish the river and offshore when conditions allow. Are T-Tops a worthy upgrade? Is the integrated seat/livewell decent or should I upgrade to leaning post with a cooler under? Any recommendations on mods or upgrades would be appreciated!

Sounds like a deal with those low hours. Depending on your use for the boat will determine if you want to modify the features you mentioned. Use it the way it is and see how it goes.
Change out the timing belt as it is coming up on 10 years old.

Are T-Tops a worthy upgrade?

Just a side note about a T Top........If you put a T-Top on that boat.....it will not pass thru a 10ft door, if you plan to keep it inside.

Thanks for the info...good to know about the belt and garage considerations

I've added a trolling motor to my 2015 1801. For my fishing it has been a great addition. NO t-top, but most of my fishing from the boat is in the winter. In the summer I fish from my kayaks and the Parker becomes a tubing boat.

I've added a trolling motor to my 2015 1801. For my fishing it has been a great addition. NO t-top, but most of my fishing from the boat is in the winter. In the summer I fish from my kayaks and the Parker becomes a tubing boat.
I want to add a trolling motor to my 2003 1801. What shaft length and thrust are you using? Also, my '03 has the anchor locker on the bow and I'm worried about mounting. Do you have any photos of your setup?
Thanks.

I have a MotorGuide iX5 60'' shaft on my 1800. In 2ft seas the prop can break the surface an cavitate, but if its that rough it's hard to fish anyway. In 95% of conditions the 60'' shaft is long enough. If you fish in big waves though, move up to a 72''.

60" X 80 lb for me on my 1800. I went with the Ulterra because I feared for my back having to reach out over the front deck to manually lift the TM. So happy I did!

I want to add a trolling motor to my 2003 1801. What shaft length and thrust are you using? Also, my '03 has the anchor locker on the bow and I'm worried about mounting. Do you have any photos of your setup?
Thanks.

MinnKota Ulterra 80# 60’ 24 V

I can't find any photos. I'll try to remember to take some next time I go to the boat. Mine is mounted on the port side, to the left of the anchor locker lid. It works but is not ideal.

Mine is a 1998 1800, so it does not have the anchor locker hatch on the deck. I don't think the hatch would interfere with mounting the motor, but the motor base might prevent you from opening the hatch very far?
I don't have any close up pics of the motor mount, but you can get the idea from these shots. Since 3 of the bolts go into the raised 'lip' on the gunwale, I used a large derlin spacer on the fourth bolt to level the motor, since this one does not go into the raised 'lip'. I put a large aluminum backing plate underneath the gunwale cap that supports all 4 bolts.

Attachments

• IMG_8439.JPG
    IMG_8439.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8437.JPG
    IMG_8437.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8441.JPG
    IMG_8441.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 38
60” minn kota, doesnt come out of the water in any conditions ive been in and ive used it plenty of times i shouldnt have been out haha. where i have it mounted makes all the difference i think

Attachments

• F8656268-7051-4DE0-9A76-0F06A4B19BBF.jpeg
    F8656268-7051-4DE0-9A76-0F06A4B19BBF.jpeg
    894.1 KB · Views: 37
60” minn kota, doesnt come out of the water in any conditions ive been in and ive used it plenty of times i shouldnt have been out haha. where i have it mounted makes all the difference i think
Thanks so much! That is really helpful. I was wondering if that configuration would work. From what I've read, I probably won't be using the anchor much after I get the trolling motor, but I still wanted it to be accessible if I ever need it.

MinnKota Ulterra 80# 60’ 24 V

I can't find any photos. I'll try to remember to take some next time I go to the boat. Mine is mounted on the port side, to the left of the anchor locker lid. It works but is not ideal.

And here are some photos. As you can see the anchor locker is still useable but the TM hangs over the bow.

IMG_5547.jpgIMG_5546.jpgIMG_5548.jpg

Mine is a 1998 1800, so it does not have the anchor locker hatch on the deck. I don't think the hatch would interfere with mounting the motor, but the motor base might prevent you from opening the hatch very far?
I don't have any close up pics of the motor mount, but you can get the idea from these shots. Since 3 of the bolts go into the raised 'lip' on the gunwale, I used a large derlin spacer on the fourth bolt to level the motor, since this one does not go into the raised 'lip'. I put a large aluminum backing plate underneath the gunwale cap that supports all 4 bolts.
Did you remove your port side bow cleat? I can’t quite tell from your photos. I have the same hull and plan on mounting a trolling motor this off season but was hoping not to move the cleats.

Did you remove your port side bow cleat? I can’t quite tell from your photos. I have the same hull and plan on mounting a trolling motor this off season but was hoping not to move the cleats.
I did not move the factory cleats or navigation lights. Here's a zoomed in pic and two new ones so you can see it better.

The motor is angled so that the shaft lies about parallel with the edge of the boat when in the 'up' position. I like this positioning best, because the shaft doesn't get in the way of walking around the boat or even standing on the front raised area. It also keeps the motor as close to the centerline of the boat as possible, when deployed, which I think greatly improves performance and tracking. Having the motor base and head hang off the side of the boat (as opposed to off the front of the bow) not only moves the motor far from the centerline, but also makes it much more likely that you'll whack it on the dock.

IMG_8441 zoomed.jpg

IMG_6909 zoomed.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6934.JPG
    IMG_6934.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Thanks for the pic. My other issue is I have the bow rail still on, am thinking of just cutting out the forward V part of the rail and seeing if I can make it work. I do like the rail when out with the kids…

@Mchesney, I didn't mean to hijack your thread and hope you love your 1801 as much as I do. I also came from a bass fishing background and am still learning to operate the Parker. I do really miss having a trolling motor and can't wait to get one mounted, even though I'm in shock over the price. Thanks to everyone who posted info and photos of the mounting options. Tight lines and fair seas!

Here is mine on a 17. It has a wood spacer for the mount to get over the gunwale lip. 54”, 24V, 80lb thrust.

Attachments

• AA72F5E3-4B10-4882-A174-4E77E9C19E22.jpeg
    AA72F5E3-4B10-4882-A174-4E77E9C19E22.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 31
Thanks so much! That is really helpful. I was wondering if that configuration would work. From what I've read, I probably won't be using the anchor much after I get the trolling motor, but I still wanted it to be accessible if I ever need it.
no problem. i just bought a new bigger boat (selling the 1801 if anyone interested) and even though im a cheap bastard im putting on on it. ive ordered the motor before i have even took the new boat out lol. 3k for the motor 1300 for lithium 200 for a mount and im sure there is more :sick::sick::sick:

Back