1801 Steering cable length

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longislandfish

Reaction score
Ordered a Uflex Hytech 1.0 kit with the nylon hoses and compression fittings. I spoke with the engineers at Uflex and they strongly recommend using the 1500psi flexible hoses in high traffic areas as the nylon 1000psi 3/8 hose is prone to kinking. I am unable to find any information on previous hydraulic steering installs on the 1801 so figured I would post my question here. Does anyone know the appropriate length of hosing required for the hydraulic steering installation? I would assume somewhere between 16-18ft? Want to make sure I get enough as the cable are pre assembled from the factory with the ends pressed on. Any information regarding this is much appreciated.

I did it on my 18 with the same system. I used the compression fittings that came with the kit no problem and no kinks. I planed on making them up put of hydraulic lines later but didn't need to.

update for anyone looking to install hydraulic UFLEX or SEASTAR flexible hydraulic hoses, I ordered the 16ft and it was too short by about 2 -3 ft. So i went ahead and ordered the 20ft Uflex hydraulic hoses rated for 1500PSI and they were perfect. I didnt go with the bulkhead fitting bc I didnt feel like drilling more holes in the stern boxes. I just went ahead and fished the hydraulic hoses through starboard chase and right up under the helm, 90 degree fittings and snugged up fittings to spec. Steering works flawless. To anyone considering, best 800 bucks spent. no more grease on transom or sticky steering. The NFB steering is great however after long hours on LIS my elbow gets a good workout. My vote is for the uflex system, amazing build quality, superb customer support. I will note, the removal of the original helm was kind of a PIA. I had to really work to back out one of the frozen rusted mounting bolts, and had to cut the old wheel off the shaft with sawzal. I tired gear pullers, head BFH and nothing worked, so out came the saw and I replaced with a nice stainless 13.5 wheel. Looks amazing

Good luck to anyone looking to tackle this project.

Also, no need to removed the engine to slide out the old steering cable there is enough clearance to pull it out as the parker does not have a hull liner.

Back