1801 trim tabs help!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would not want to push bow down any further. No trim tabs. It will be a wet boat just like any other less than 23ft cc.

Those were my thoughts as well. The gunwales don't get any higher when you install trim tabs...

My first boat was a 17fter and when a crosswind brought spray over the boat I never thought "I need trim tabs!" I thought, "I need to change my heading to re-direct the wind" or "I need a bigger boat."

All this talk of bringing the bow down in an 18ft boat seems silly to me... move a cooler and maybe it'll do the trick. I was never taught to use tabs to change a boat's running attitude, only for adjusting the boat if it's listing because it's unbalanced. In an 18fter aren't people worried about stuffing the bow while using the tabs to keep it down? Doesn't using tabs to trim the bow down kill fuel economy? Does it put any extra strain on the engine?

Tabs helped that boat immensely. Highly recommend. You don't always have to fully engage them, a little really goes a long way towards ride quality.

In rougher waters, using the tabs helped stay on plane at slower, manageable speed vs having to drop down off plane.

Best upgrade I made. Fuel economy not really affected, you aren't plowing around everywhere just because...

Could another description be that the tabs are raising and lowering the stern, the bow rise and fall is just an inevidiable result... amongst others?
More or less yes. If they are not engaged, they do not change the flow of water under the hill. Thinking back to basic physics - every action has an equal and opposite reaction. If they are engaged, i.e. in the flow of water, the water will be forced down. The resulting action is stern lift and the resulting bow drop that we all love.

Tabs helped that boat immensely. Highly recommend. You don't always have to fully engage them, a little really goes a long way towards ride quality.

In rougher waters, using the tabs helped stay on plane at slower, manageable speed vs having to drop down off plane.

Best upgrade I made. Fuel economy not really affected, you aren't plowing around everywhere just because...
I guess I haven't had the need for them so haven't been able to see them make the difference everyone's talking about. I see the appeal in it though

IMO you don’t need them on an 1801. I had a whale tail for a few years, took it off and installed the automatic trim tabs. Saw no difference, especially with balance which is where I needed it. Took them off after a few years when I repowered with a Suzuki 90. Now I constantly adjust pitch for conditions and balance the load as needed. I usually have 3 on board and they are good at balancing without even being told to move.
Again, just my opinion.

Back