1801 vs Sea Hunt 186, all things being "equal"

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billmaurer12

Reaction score
So I'm looking for my first boat to purchase. I've always admired Pakers, and at this point, I'd really love an 1801 to get things started. I found a 2004 one for sale, with Yamaha 115, $20k. It's in FL, I'm in NJ. As an alternative, there's a 2004 Sea Hunt Triton 186 very close to me, also with Yamaha 115. $15k. These are, on paper, similar boats with the same motor. So, assuming all things being equal (state of the motor, floor and transom solid, no major work required, etc), how will these two boats differ in the water for bay (or close inshore) fishing? Is the $5k difference in price here a non-factor? Are these truly comparable, or are we talking apples and oranges?

(and Happy New Year to all!)

There is no comparison between these two boats.

The Parker is a three piece hull from a manufacturer with a reputation of building high-quality, durable, heavy boats. The design of the boat allows for more interior volume, greater access to components, and a simple, easy to maintain and modify platform.

The Sea Hunt is a two piece, foam filled boat from a manufacturer that makes production boats of a questionable quality (at least in that timeframe), and an overall goal of creating an economy boat for the maximum profit. There will be little to no access to interior components, mounting anything to the hull or gunnels will be very difficult to do properly, and the boat will feel much smaller due to the fact that there is about 4” of space lost on each side due to the two piece design: take a look at the flat interior bulkheads of the SH, as opposed to the under-gunnel space of the Parker which goes all the way to the side of the hull- that’s extra room to stand at the rail of the boat without banging your toes into the side. The glass in the hull will likely be much thinner as well, leading to a much lighter boat with the ensuing decrease in seakeeping ability.

I’ll make the very rough comparison of a F150 to a Kia.

The ONLY areas in which the Parker might fall short, depending on the prior owner, is if there is water intrusion into the deck or transom, and the fact that the tank is approaching it’s potential replacement age, although the SH will likely have the same concern. A good inspection should reveal whether these are potential issues.

There is no price point that would convince me to buy a Sea Hunt over a Parker of similar vintage.

Last edited:
There is no comparison between these two boats.

The Parker is a three piece hull from a manufacturer with a reputation of building high-quality, durable, heavy boats. The design of the boat allows for more interior volume, greater access to components, and a simple, easy to maintain and modify platform.

The Sea Hunt is a two piece, foam filled boat from a manufacturer that makes production boats of a questionable quality (at least in that timeframe), and an overall goal of creating an economy boat for the maximum profit. There will be little to no access to interior components, mounting anything to the hull or gunnels will be very difficult to do properly, and the boat will feel much smaller due to the fact that there is about 4” of space lost on each side due to the two piece design: take a look at the flat interior bulkheads of the SH, as opposed to the under-gunnel space of the Parker which goes all the way to the side of the hull- that’s extra room to stand at the rail of the boat without banging your toes into the side. The glass in the hull will likely be much thinner as well, leading to a much lighter boat with the ensuing decrease in seakeeping ability.

I’ll make the very rough comparison of a F150 to a Kia.

The ONLY areas in which the Parker might fall short, depending on the prior owner, is if there is water intrusion into the deck or transom, and the fact that the tank is approaching it’s potential replacement age, although the SH will likely have the same concern. A good inspection should reveal whether these are potential issues.

There is no price point that would convince me to buy a Sea Hunt over a Parker of similar vintage.

@pelagic2530 - thank you so much for the detailed response. You confirmed many of the points I've uncovered in my initial research. Great to hear them put out there from an authority. I know I want a heavy, durable boat with the extra interior volume. Parker 1801 it is!

There's a really nice 1801 with a newer Suzuki DF150 (and trailer) for sale in Maryland for $20k.

Here's the ad:
- Parker 1801 - New Suzuki 150 - less 30 hours - motor new 2021 - new electronics 2020 - New Hummingbird Fish/Depth Finder - power pole 2019 - new upholstery 2021 - Dek It on topside 2021 - great boat - I will sell for $20K - Text Me - 443.865.1344 -

So I'm looking for my first boat to purchase. I've always admired Pakers, and at this point, I'd really love an 1801 to get things started. I found a 2004 one for sale, with Yamaha 115, $20k. It's in FL, I'm in NJ. As an alternative, there's a 2004 Sea Hunt Triton 186 very close to me, also with Yamaha 115. $15k. These are, on paper, similar boats with the same motor. So, assuming all things being equal (state of the motor, floor and transom solid, no major work required, etc), how will these two boats differ in the water for bay (or close inshore) fishing? Is the $5k difference in price here a non-factor? Are these truly comparable, or are we talking apples and oranges?

(and Happy New Year to all!)
Where are you located in NJ & how soon are you looking to make your purchase?

There's a really nice 1801 with a newer Suzuki DF150 (and trailer) for sale in Maryland for $20k.

Here's the ad:
- Parker 1801 - New Suzuki 150 - less 30 hours - motor new 2021 - new electronics 2020 - New Hummingbird Fish/Depth Finder - power pole 2019 - new upholstery 2021 - Dek It on topside 2021 - great boat - I will sell for $20K - Text Me - 443.865.1344 -
That one went quick.

I'm selling my 02 Parker 1801. I has a Yamaha 115- 2 stroke with only 310 hours. Garmin Echomap Chirp 74CV, Taco Marine Neptune III leaning post, 2018 Load Rite Aluminum bunk trailer with brakes. Fisher Canvas winter cover, upgraded gunnel rod holders, custom boot stripe,
2 set set of stern cushions, and bimini top that I took off when I purchased in 2018 and has been garage kept ever since. She's located in Island Heights, NJ in storage. 15K and you get a complete ready to go 1801 thats in great shape and never fished. New boat came sooner than expected. If interested I can be reached: [email protected]

Attachments

• IMG_9131.jpeg
    IMG_9131.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7919.jpeg
    IMG_7919.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2300.jpeg
    IMG_2300.jpeg
    8.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8371.jpeg
    IMG_8371.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 3
For what it’s worth I have an 05 1801 that I’m replacing the tank on. Pulling up that floor is a PITA. It’s glassed, 5200’d in place and nailed everywhere. Boat is incredibly well built which made this job a lot harder. The boat is foam filled and I’m contemplating digging it all out and not replacing it. Not sure if that’s the right move so I need to do some more research. Make sure there has been no water intrusion as the foam will get saturated and the water has no where to go.

For what it’s worth I have an 05 1801 that I’m replacing the tank on. Pulling up that floor is a PITA. It’s glassed, 5200’d in place and nailed everywhere. Boat is incredibly well built which made this job a lot harder. The boat is foam filled and I’m contemplating digging it all out and not replacing it. Not sure if that’s the right move so I need to do some more research. Make sure there has been no water intrusion as the foam will get saturated and the water has no where to go.

I have a 23FT 2001 DVCC in which I had the fuel tank replaced in 2016, by All Keys Fiberglass, a 35 year business in Key Largo, remarked to me recently the Parker's are difficult and time consuming to repair when damaged because they are so solid and over built.

Very interesting photos. I’m curious what is going on in the square section in front of the gas tank. My older 1800 has an access port on the deck just back from there, over the tank. I would think about adding terminal blocks to the bow to support a trolling motor in the future.

More pics please. Can never have enough pics 🙂

Wow...that is alot of deck demo. Was that planned or was it all bad that needed to come out? Great pics...nice to see the bones.
Previous owner did a bad repair. Water was in the foam. Pulled entire deck and replaced tank while I was at it. Tank wasn’t bad but boat is an 05 so wasn’t going to do all this and not replace it.

Very interesting photos. I’m curious what is going on in the square section in front of the gas tank. My older 1800 has an access port on the deck just back from there, over the tank. I would think about adding terminal blocks to the bow to support a trolling motor in the future.

More pics please. Can never have enough pics 🙂
It’s a vacant space that wasn’t foamed. We’re going to glass it and make it storage.

Back