1993 1800 Transom Cap Crack

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbrownhill

Reaction score
Greetings,
I recently acquired a new to me 1993 1800 Parker center console. Overall the boat is in great shape, however there is a crack along the transom cap that extends from the end of the starboard cutout all the way to the port gunwale. The previous owner had caulked over the crack, the transom sounds solid, standing on the cavitation plate of the outboard shows no flex of the crack, so I am fairly confident that the transom is sound and that the issue is cosmetic, for now. I would appreciate any advice on how I should go about repairing the issue so it does not become a worse problem in the future. I know it is a 30 year old boat, the transom will probably need to be replaced eventually - but if I could get at least 5 more years before a major rebuild that would be great.

I have searched the forums and read all applicable posts. The reason for this new post:
1) Previous posts on this topic are all 5-10 years old, I am wondering if the community has any new insights on this.
2) I contacted Parker regarding this issue - their response follows. It took Parker a while to get back to me - there is a post on here that references this diagram illustrating the repair - the link in the post does not work and I am hopefully that someone could provide me with the diagram as Parker seems a little backed up.

From Parker:
" Thank you for contacting Parker Offshore! The lip forward of the crack, the top of the transom board and down the front of the transom board about 3-4” needs to be ground off to begin and then glass reapplied. I’m waiting for engineering to send me a diagram but they have been out of the office until recently and they are a little back logged. I will get you the diagram as soon as possible!! "

Thank you for your time.

image001.jpgimage002.jpg

Hello - I am just following up on if and how you went forward with the transom cap cracks? How did you go by repairing the cracks and did you have any issues with the wood/moisture intrusion? Kind regards,

1 season follow up.
After digging into the problem more, there are some definite wet spots in the transom due to a poor seal on a swim ladder attachment point below the water line. The transom was still solid so I did the following repair.
Drilled a few holes around the wet spot to dry out core as much as possible. Once "dry" filled the holes with epoxy.
Removed all fiberglass along the top of the transom. Sealed up the top of plywood core with epoxy, reglassed the top with 4 layers of 1708 and epoxy. Faired and painted with Rust-Oleum topside.
After a season of fishing, pulling tubes, and cruising the transom is still rock solid. I keep a watchful eye but certainly don't worry about it. I like the boat and can see me keeping it. I figured at some point it will need a new gas tank, at which time I will replace the transom. And maybe move the console forward 6", which I think would make a world of difference.
Attached are some pictures of the repair after a season of use.

Attachments

• PXL_20221112_182755859.jpg
    PXL_20221112_182755859.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221112_182824680.jpg
    PXL_20221112_182824680.jpg
    929 KB · Views: 0
Back