1994 Parker 1700 with Yamaha 115 or 70

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Efx

Reaction score
I have a new to me Parker 1700 with a Yamaha f115. It looks really heavy for the boat at 403 pounds. I see that Yamaha make a very light f70 that is 253 pounds. That looks to be the ideal weight for this hull which is only 1050 lbs itself. Does anyone have experience with this hull with 70 hp? I don’t need a speedy demon of a boat but will the 70 hp get me up to 30 mph medium load with 2 people?

here is what she looks like now.
E2E3636B-B105-44B9-B468-99810C717DB3.jpeg

Keep it and plug the drain holes and put in two bilge pumps? That’s the only thing I can see to make this safe.

The 70 will take longer to plane. Had a Mako 19 with a 115, thought it could use more. Had a 17 Seaswirl with a 90, would not have wanted to drop to a 70.

How does she sit in the water? Waterline should be at the bottom of the scupper tubes and you should be able to stand at the stern without taking on much water via scupper drains. Dont plug the drains. Its a self bailing deck. Keep those ball scuppers clean. There's a small set screw to remove and they twist off. When they get algee inside the can get stuck. They work really well when clean. The only water in my bilge enters at the anchor locker at the bow from either rain, sea spray or when I hose it out.
A single quality pump and switch properly installed is all you need. Mine is 1100gph which might seem a little overkill.

Do NOT downsize that motor. You won’t be happy with the performance, especially with that monster livewell. I’m not sure a 70 would even plane that boat with that heavy a load; it will definitely be a dog either way. You won’t come close to 30mph; my 1700 with an ETEC 115 hits 34mph at 5400rpm (although I could get a bit more out of it if I wanted to play with the prop).

If you’re having issues with water on deck, I’d highly recommend moving your batteries to the console if you haven’t done so, and replacing your ball scuppers with new ones; the sealing surface gaskets get crispy after a few seasons and don’t work as well.

I have a 17 too, was thinking the same thing if I ever repowered go with the Yamaha 70, nice and light. Have a Tohatsu 90 2 on now but that’s only 300lbs, have ball scuppers but still plug the drains though it seems to self bail barely

Last edited:
Reactions: Efx
I put a 115 Mercury on mine, I couldn't even imagine putting anything lower

judging from the waterline in the picture it looks like its either they bottom painted too high or your squating. The ball scuppers look like they are below the water line

I have a 1992 Parker17, love the boat!! I have a Yamaha 90 4 stroke on mine. The motor is just heavy enough to put the scuppers about 3/4 the way under water. I do put plugs in them from the interior of the boat. If I don't just enough water may come in the fill the little recessed area just under where the motor is mounted. The 90 gives me plenty of power and I am very well satisfied with it. It gets up on plane very quickly. I do not have the live well you have and I have one battery still mounted in the back as it came from the factory. I would love to mount the battery mid way but my console is fairly small. From your picture I can't tell if you have the same console looks like it might be the larger one they put in some of the boats.

Thanks for all the input. I have four batteries in the console. One starting, one house and two parallel for a trolling motor on the bow. The previous owner just kept adding stuff like is was a 21 foot hull Then it squatted more and more. Then the 115 was installed at a nice 403 lbs dry! Then this gigantic livewell. It’s a big mess. Now the gas tank is leaking. Great. I’m stripping it down, adding the 70. Putting a 12 gallon gas tank on deck under the leaning post and a 13 gallon bait well. I’ll get it to self bail like it was designed to do. I’ll cut the deck next season and replace the 40 gallon tank. For now an above deck 12 gallon will work. I’ll looked at the performance bulletins from Yamaha for similar hulls. I bet I’ll get 35 mph at 6200 rpm. 4000 rpm and I’ll get at least 5 mpg, so that’s about a safe 40 mile range with reserve. 70 inline four single cam, one liter looks to be almost at 80 hp per the epa kw rating.

Last edited:
My 1992 Parker 17" has a 30 gallon built in fuel tank from the factory, that is plenty for me as my 90 4 stroke is very fuel efficient.

Thanks for all the input. I have four batteries in the console. One starting, one house and two parallel for a trolling motor on the bow. The previous owner just kept adding stuff like is was a 21 foot hull Then it squatted more and more. Then the 115 was installed at a nice 403 lbs dry! Then this gigantic livewell. It’s a big mess. Now the gas tank is leaking. Great. I’m stripping it down, adding the 70. Putting a 12 gallon gas tank on deck under the leaning post and a 13 gallon bait well. I’ll get it to self bail like it was designed to do. I’ll cut the deck next season and replace the 40 gallon tank. For now an above deck 12 gallon will work. I’ll looked at the performance bulletins from Yamaha for similar hulls. I bet I’ll get 35 mph at 6200 rpm. 4000 rpm and I’ll get at least 5 mpg, so that’s about a safe 40 mile range with reserve. 70 inline four single cam, one liter looks to be almost at 80 hp per the epa kw rating.

35mph out of this hull with a 70hp motor is pure fantasy. If that’s the performance numbers you’re looking for, be prepared to switch out your power later on.

5mpg also seems optimistic unless you’re planning on running it with absolutely bare bones no load, or at extremely low speed. This is not an “other manufacturer’s” 17 foot boat. This is a heavy, big 17’ hull. The difference between this and an 1800 is realistically 6” and MAYBE a couple hundred pounds. I think you’d be hard pressed to find any 18’ owner that would be happy with a 70.

If you do this, please share your eventual performance numbers.

What does a 17’ really weigh? According to Nada 1996 and up is 1350lbs and 1995 and down is 1050lbs. Big difference (I have a ‘96). A guy on YT pushes a 17’ Whaler nicely with a Yamaha 70 4 but that’s probably a lighter boat. You want to make sure you can get up on plane adequately.

The 1994 Parker 17 weighs 1050. FYI- I’ve built many 17 whalers, years 70 and a 79. Both had 70’s on them. They weighed 850 and 950. Both ran very well loaded. The first had a two stroke 70 Yamaha , the second a 70 Suzuki 4 stroke. The Suzuki was a beast at 359 lb. all these boats run best with a lightweight 2 stroke 90. That’s not available anymore so I’m looking at the 70 as the best option. Here is a precedent from the web.

Attachments

• 61CF9CD4-0C0B-4F7D-9294-FD5CA58EC681.jpeg
    61CF9CD4-0C0B-4F7D-9294-FD5CA58EC681.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 17
To be clear, I don’t have an 18’. This is for a 17’ hull that was built for a few years. I’ve heard they only built about 300 of them. The 18’ model are much bigger and heavier.

I’ve attached a performance bulletin for a 17 key west 1150 lbs with a 70 hp Yamaha. See below. I would cruise at 4000 to 4500 rpm. Speed and mpg look good to me. 20 mph in a 17 in 2 foot seas 11-16 seconds apart is what I’ll be typically in.
83AD6B6C-72E0-4C99-B4D7-DA401DEC9E44.jpeg

Last edited:
After running her for multiple seasons, I can say the 115 hp Yamaha four stroke is perfect for this boat. Thanks for all the help. I would not go with any lower horsepower.

Back