1994 Parker 1801 Leaning Post install

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am going to be removing the original cooler style leaning post and installing a proper leaning post on my 19994 Parker 18.
My question is what size /length screw should I use to mount it? Same as what I remove from the original cooler style? Or should I use these toggle style? I am not sure if the stringer layout so I am not sure if the mounts are in wood or if they are just in fiberglass and decking.

Thanks,
Brad

Attachments

• 8DEF427A-5BF0-4343-8D9E-8C673FCA49F3.jpeg
    8DEF427A-5BF0-4343-8D9E-8C673FCA49F3.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 9
Typically they are mounted with either 1/4in or #14 screws .......Those toggle bolts take a bigger hole.

When you go to mount it, do not just run the screws into the deck and seal around them. Sure fire way to end up with rot in the deck.

Instead, position the leaning post where you want it and mark the screw holes. Measure the outside diameter of the threads on the screws you’ll be using. Measure the thickness of the deck at a pie plate access or some other deck penetration (a small clamp can act as a makeshift caliper to get past any pie plate flanges or the like). For each screw hole, drill a hole in the deck that is about a 1/4” in diameter larger than the screw diameter you measured. Make sure you don’t go all the way through the deck by marking your drill bit with a tape flag at the proper depth. Fill all the holes with epoxy and let it fully cure. Then, go back and re-drill the proper size holes for your screws in the center of each epoxy “plug”, then mount and seal your leaning post.

This way, your screws are going into solid epoxy as opposed to wood, and there’s no chance of water intrusion into the deck.

When you go to mount it, do not just run the screws into the deck and seal around them. Sure fire way to end up with rot in the deck.

Instead, position the leaning post where you want it and mark the screw holes. Measure the outside diameter of the threads on the screws you’ll be using. Measure the thickness of the deck at a pie plate access or some other deck penetration (a small clamp can act as a makeshift caliper to get past any pie plate flanges or the like). For each screw hole, drill a hole in the deck that is about a 1/4” in diameter larger than the screw diameter you measured. Make sure you don’t go all the way through the deck by marking your drill bit with a tape flag at the proper depth. Fill all the holes with epoxy and let it fully cure. Then, go back and re-drill the proper size holes for your screws in the center of each epoxy “plug”, then mount and seal your leaning post.

This way, your screws are going into solid epoxy as opposed to wood, and there’s no chance of water intrusion into the deck.

This sounds like the best option. I have experience with epoxy and I will definitely take this approach. Not the fastest, but patience pays off in the end.

Thanks!

Brad

Back