1997 1700 Overhaul Project

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Part 17a: Trolling motor install (electrical system)

Now for the big one: Not long after going to all that effort to replace cleats for a nice, smooth profile… I decided to mess it all up again. The more I heard about the new generation of GPS enabled, spot-lock trolling motors, the more jealous I got. Both in the Chesapeake and up in Indian River, much of the fishing is over tight spots of structure, bridge pilings, against rock piles, etc. Having the ability to simply hover right over any given spot seemed like an ability that was too good to pass up.

On a whim, I called Motortech in Suffolk, VA. I knew from internet scuttlebutt that these motors were pretty hard to come by, so I was wondering what kind of wait time I was looking at. Imagine my surprise when I was told they had 3 Minn Kota Riptide iPilot Terrova, 24V 80lb 60” shaft motors coming in by the end of the week, and one was still unspoken for. Taking that as a sign, I pulled the trigger and started planning.

The first debate was of course, where to put the batteries. My options, as I saw them, were: 1) in the console, forward under the hatch to the bench seat in front. Advantages: Easy access through bench seat; easy installation; more weight up forward. Disadvantages: more possibility of getting wet through the not-perfect bench seat lid seal; complete loss of space under the bench seat, which is the easiest to access storage on the boat. 2) In the console, as far aft as I can, butted up against the existing cranking/house batteries. Advantages: more protected; occupies less desirable storage space; leaves bench seat storage intact. Disadvantages: weight further aft (not by much); much more limited access; more difficult install. These were really my only two choices; the anchor locker was too small to fit the batteries, and there’s no room on deck for a portable battery box of some type. In the end, I chose option two, primarily due to storage space. The space towards the center/rear of the console is the tallest space, and I rarely need to store tall items. Therefore, by putting the batteries there, I would utilize space that wasn’t really super useful for anything else anyway. And, by building a platform of sorts over the batteries, I could protect them from damage and incidental terminal contact while at the same time regaining some useful space above the batteries.

Much like the original battery relocation to the console, I first installed a sheet of ½” Starboard in order to minimize the number of holes in the deck. The battery trays mount into the starboard. This is how I mounted my start and house batteries, and after a season of use they’re still rock solid. I just wish I had made the original Starboard deck mounting plate a LITTLE bit bigger. Oh well.
65D5F20E-7B96-448E-9689-B7453B694019.jpeg
I chose the West Marine style battery trays for a couple reasons. One, I’ve used them in the past and they hold the batteries very securely. The upper frame, as opposed to just a cross member, provides a much more secure hold down surface. Two, I wanted the threaded metal rods that stick up on each end of each battery tray, to which the knobs that tighten down the top frame are attached More on why later. For batteries, I decided on GP27 AGM deep cycle batteries from Lifeline. Made in the USA, tested to MilSpec durability, very good reputation… and expensive to match. Oh well, this whole project is expensive, so why not.
65092F79-7FAF-4637-A4C1-A1EB6FE8B4DD.jpeg
When it came to the battery charger, I faced a conundrum. I have a total of 4 batteries to charge. Ideally, I wanted to use just one 4-bank charger. Well, the only reasonably affordable four-bank charger is made by NOCO. While I know they’re popular on here, I’ve had enough people warn me against using NOCO and have read enough poor reviews to want to shy away.

The next choice was Promariner, which I have used in the past and have great results with. However, they only have a three-bank charger in their Prosport line. It was suggested that I could use two banks for the trolling motor batteries and the remaining for the house battery, being that the start battery would be maintained in a charged state by my BEP switch ACR. I didn’t like this plan either: due to being away at work for long periods of time, the boat has a tendency to sit unused for awhile periodically. One of the main reasons I installed a battery charger was to keep the batteries on a trickle charge so as not to kill them. So, not having the ability to keep the cranking battery charged wasn’t going to work either.

The final choice: use two chargers. Some of you may remember that I installed a two-bank Prosport 20HD to charge the house and cranking batteries earlier in this project. As it turns out, the BEP switch does such a good job of battery management that a 20A charger is way overkill. However, 20A to recharge the TM batteries… that’s about exactly what I’d want. So, my solution was: leave the Prosport 20HD mounted where it was and rewire it to charge the TM batteries, and install a separate Prosport12HD to charge the house/cranking batteries. This also allows me to charge just the TM batteries, in the frequent case where the house/cranking batteries are fully charged by the outboard and don’t need it. Plus, the 12HD has Distributed On-Demand capability, which means that the total output of the charger is divided among the two batteries based on how much charge is needed, as opposed to other multi-bank chargers (including the NOCOs) where the total output is simply divided equally amongst the banks, regardless of charge state. This way, if there’s a situation where I have a discharged house battery and not enough of a transit home to charge it, most of the 12A will go to the house battery rather than the charged cranking battery.

Old battery charger, reworked to charge the TM batteries. Also the circuit breaker can be seen on the right:
0FAA5B44-2DB8-4E77-8BD9-742DD138BFA3.jpeg
New charger:
FE8EB0A7-A9DA-48A8-A6A7-43435B1CE0C4.jpeg
I used 2AWG wiring between the batteries and the circuit breaker, and 4AWG to and from the plug in the bow. For the breaker, I elected to use a Blue Sea 285 surface mount breaker, as opposed to the Minn Kota model. The primary reason for this is that the 285 is “switchable”, or has the ability to be opened manually. By pushing the little red button, the breaker will open, securing power to the circuit. This eliminates the need for an additional cut-off switch, streamlining the installation while also maintaining safety. The MK breakers do not have this ability, and therefore need a switch. The additional cost is minimal. I mounted the breaker on the panel at the back of the console, along with the other electrical components from the 12V system.

For the plug, I followed Warthog’s advice and used a Battery Tender trolling motor plug. The BT model has a few distinct advantages over the other plugs on the market. First, it uses an open lug cable attachment on the socket side, which means that larger 4AWG and 6AWG cables can be attached. Many of the other plugs have compression fittings that will not fit these cables. Second, the plug is secured into the socket via a screw knob, which makes it impossible for it to inadvertently come loose. It locks in tight and makes very good contact. I installed the plug in the forward bulkhead, up under the stbd side covering board. In this location it will be protected from spray and water splashes, and is out of sight when not in use. By being under the covering board, there’s also enough room to get a drill in there to use a hole saw to cut the mounting holes. Exposed wood was sealed with epoxy, screw holes filled and re-drilled, as per the usual.
Holes cut and sealed:D8001C55-67CD-4F47-B927-04B4CA8A82DB.jpeg
Plug installed:
FF76B500-7002-43B6-801E-3BFB568B8565.jpeg
Rear side of plug, showing cable attachment lugs:
9FCFC962-3F1D-45AD-8664-15B388101074.jpeg

By far the most aggravating part of this project was running the two 4AWG cables from the console up forward to the fuel tank access, then up the port side fuel chase and forward to the bow. Console to fuel tank wasn’t bad, but getting through that port side stringer and up the fuel fill chase was very difficult. I really don’t have any advice on this one; neither profanity nor prayer seemed to work any better in this situation. Best I can say is have a good strong wire fish tape, lots of patience, and a little alcohol probably wouldn’t hurt either. Lubricating the cables with dish soap seemed to help a little, and I used Gorilla tape to attach the wires to the fish tape so the connection was extra strong so I could pull on it pretty aggressively. If others have a better way, I’d be all ears. But it eventually got done. Cables were secured up under the covering boards with Weld Mount fasteners all the way to the plug on the forward bulkhead. Where the cables run over the top of the tank and up through the chase, spiral wrap was installed to prevent chafing.
A655E9D6-767B-4A86-B007-3B23D374D01C.jpeg

Back into the console: remember the metal posts I wanted sticking out of the battery trays? Rather than building a box or a supported shelf over the batteries, I decided to simply cut a sheet of PVC lumber of the correct footprint. Then, I could use the threaded rods as support posts, and simply drop the PVC sheet down on top of them through holes in the PVC, and fasten it down with nuts and washers, creating a protective cover and a storage shelf over the batteries. I made a cutout for the electrical wiring and control cables going into the deck, and gave the edge a roundover using a router. It’s a bit tighter than I would like, as the boots that cover the electrical terminals stick up a bit further than anticipated and press on the board, so that it looks a bit warped. But, it works and restores a lot of the storage footprint that the batteries eat up.
B47EA68F-C7B5-4EA0-AFE0-3F329B0E9DA6.jpeg
Next up: Motor installation.

Part 17b: Trolling motor install (motor mounting)

About a week after ordering I get the call to go pick up my new toy, and there it was:
F8624D6F-CA6A-43BB-AB6D-2705C95A6A65.jpeg
Looks a lot bigger in person than on the internet!

Much like the batteries, the next step was figuring out placement. By nature, the “foot” of the motor (propeller end) needs to hang over the edge of the gunnel. Not much that can be done about that. However, I wanted to ensure that the “head” of the motor was within the rub rail, so as to minimize the chance that it would get knocked around when docking the boat. I also wanted the shaft of the motor to be outside the cockpit, so as not to eat up any of the already limited interior space. Furthermore, I didn’t want to overly obstruct my forward cleat, or my navlights. I’m lucky in the fact that my anchor locker hatch is located on my forward bulkhead, rather than in the bow cap, so at least I don’t have that to deal with.

I contemplated using a Shuttle Slide mount in order to have the motor stick straight down one of the gunnels. However, I haven’t completely abandoned my desire to have a clean boat profile, and wanted to minimize the amount of equipment that would need to be bolted to the boat. (In the interest of full disclosure, the girlfriend also uses that area to lay out when she’s on the boat, and there’d be no end to it if I messed up “her seat”). If it was necessary, I could have done it, but I decided to try to get away with just the MK quick disconnect puck if possible. In the end, it came down to having the motor on the front of the boat, and trying out different angles. I eventually settled on positioning the motor diagonally across the bow cap, with the head to port and the foot to stbd.

The quick disconnect mount from MK comes with a puck to which the motor mounts. However, since in the configuration I chose it has to sit on the lip, the mount needs to be built up so that the puck will sit even with the top of the lip. I measured the lip and on my boat it’s 1” exactly, so I got a chunk of 1” white Starboard (same material as the puck) from BoatOutfitters for about $30 shipped and cut it to fit the curve of the deck edge and the 45 degree angle of the lip with a jigsaw. I then screwed the rough-cut block to the puck and used a flush cut router bit to make the extension plate match the profile of the puck. I’ll say this: routers do a GREAT job of creating nice, smooth, perfectly matched edges- but DAMN, do they make a mess!
339812CC-BBBA-4BF8-8171-5CD38343E832.jpeg
Finished puck with extension plate:
DB537303-CEB4-4B39-8E09-CB731BCD067A.jpeg
E0CA4C13-F530-4CC2-BDA9-56A3DEEB92DC.jpeg
3BAA51D2-C296-4F78-8FDB-6DBA207AFCB3.jpeg
I also mounted another part of the same chunk of starboard to the back of the trolling motor side of the mount, so that the back is supported in order to minimize bouncing while underway.
6B305293-4628-415B-8FD8-25C8EBBB0D88.jpeg
Then came the question of mounting the puck securely to the bow. Unlike later models, on my boat the bow cap in the area of the mount isn’t cored, it’s just about 5/16” of solid glass. Good news in that water intrusion isn’t as much of a concern; bad news in that you need a really good backing plate. I made mine out of 3/8” aluminum plate. The underside of the bow cap has a profile that is the same as the top side, with a gap where the lip goes upward. Therefore, I cut one large piece of aluminum to fit right up against the hull curvature, and then cut two smaller pieces that stack together to fill in the gap made by the lip at the edge of the cap. Two of the bolts go through the lip, so with the aluminum plate and the contour of the fiberglass, it makes for a very strong mounting point. Everything got bonded together with Anchortech adhesive and through bolted with the mount. Just like the cleats, it’s solid as a rock and never going anywhere.
9647A0E5-0093-4A2E-84DF-74BF50FDB8AE.jpeg
904A4CCC-E995-4FBA-A539-C9221491D8BD.jpeg
F28C1961-C72F-4C3D-9901-39307A116566.jpeg
The system came with the Bluetooth MK heading sensor, which can be mounted wherever as long as it has a reasonable line of sight to the TM head. I put mine on the console in front of my MFD, mostly for ease of mounting, wiring, and to keep it protected behind the windshield. It does need 12v power and a surprisingly difficult to find 1A fuse; for simplicity I tied it into the boat’s regular 12v system rather than trying to power it from one of the TM batteries. It lets you move the spot lock location incrementally forward, aft, port and starboard. The iPilot also has manual speed/direction control, autopilot (more like heading control), turn patterns, and other features that I haven’t fully explored yet.
C8E133E4-D71C-4DF4-B39C-0340B3B34C5F.jpeg
Having used it extensively the last couple weeks, it’s a game changer. I may never throw another fishing anchor. It will hold position up to about 2kt, more in conjunction with the outboard idling straight ahead. It’ll propel the boat at about 2kt on it’s highest setting, and is particularly useful in water too shallow for the outboard. I explore a lot of really shallow creeks, and it lets me not only get myself unstuck, but I can creep up on birds and wildlife quietly (I call it “stealth mode”). With the two Gp27 batteries I’ve used it about 6hrs, two days in a row, and never got lower than 3/4 battery on the motor battery level indicator. The boat also likes the weight of the batteries forward in the console.
Regarding placement of the motor, having it offset to the side rather than straight off the bow doesn’t seem to make any difference in the way the boat holds position. I haven’t noticed any oddities about how she holds up into the wind/current, or how the boat moves through the water when motoring around.The motor overhangs just enough to clear the edge of the rub rail. I could’ve pulled it back an inch or so, but then the head would’ve stuck out the other side, or the shaft would’ve been inside the cockpit. It was just an angles game.

I’ll say that this is probably the coolest modification that I’ve made to this boat. Cannot recommend one highly enough, and I’ve yet to run into anyone who installed one and didn’t love it. I’m completely on board with the trolling motor crowd!

Looking good. Next stop is the local scale. Wonder where your at with all your mods.
One note, have you considered using something other than aluminum for backer plates? It looks like what your using is not coated and will deteriorate with exposure.
When I added my mid-cleats this year I went with 3/8" G10 Phenolic sheet as a backer plate. Just a thought.

Looking good. Next stop is the local scale. Wonder where your at with all your mods.
One note, have you considered using something other than aluminum for backer plates? It looks like what your using is not coated and will deteriorate with exposure.
When I added my mid-cleats this year I went with 3/8" G10 Phenolic sheet as a backer plate. Just a thought.

Definitely heavier than it was!

Regarding the aluminum, it was the easiest material I could source locally and it’s affordable. It’s not coated; however aluminum as it oxidizes forms it’s own protective layer. Most of the time where you see really bad aluminum corrosion, it’s as a result of galvanic corrosion caused by dissimilar metals in a regularly wet environment. Since these are located in relatively dry/protected places, and the fasteners are isolated from the aluminum with a layer of sealant, I don’t expect any issues with them wasting away.

Last edited:
Great write up. I have the same boat and very similar setup with batteries and TM. All 4 Batteries are in the console. Boat rides well. I also have a four bank charge in there. It’s a heavy 17. Not to mention the 403 lb f115.

419A1BA6-BCE0-4B31-80AD-3E3378806256.jpegC016EF92-8CF2-4E54-A2CE-325B55A1CAFA.jpeg

You have serious skills! I just bought a 1998 1800. I would love to do some of these upgrades but would have to pay someone to do them (if I can find someone). I'm up in New Hampshire. First thing I want to do is get rid of the Cooler Seat and get a leaning post (maybe a livewell too). Seems like moving those batteries up to the center console is a good idea. I currently only have 1 battery. My gas gauge is also not working.... which makes me wonder about the integrity of the gas tank. This could definitely start turning into a hole in the water I start tossing money into........ lol

You have serious skills! I just bought a 1998 1800. I would love to do some of these upgrades but would have to pay someone to do them (if I can find someone). I'm up in New Hampshire. First thing I want to do is get rid of the Cooler Seat and get a leaning post (maybe a livewell too). Seems like moving those batteries up to the center console is a good idea. I currently only have 1 battery. My gas gauge is also not working.... which makes me wonder about the integrity of the gas tank. This could definitely start turning into a hole in the water I start tossing money into........ lol

That is the one thing all boats have in common… absorbing vast quantities of money!

Batteries in the console is pretty universally considered to be a good idea. As is adding another and separating into start/house circuits, in your case.

More than likely you’ve got either a bad sending unit, or a bad gauge. There are some tutorials on YT about how to diagnose one or the other. Shouldn’t have anything to do with the integrity of the tank.

Thank you ! That's very helpful. Any other upgrades changes you would recommend that were good "band for the buck " ?

Any other 1800 owners out there that have opinions of good Upgrades for the 1800 ?

I would love to do some of these upgrades but would have to pay someone to do them (if I can find someone).
One of the great things about your boat is that it's a perfect canvas to learn how to work on, repair or modify a boat. Once you dig in and see how everything fits together, you will feel a great satisfaction with knowing all there is to know about your boat, in addition to being able to diagnose and properly repair anything. There is a wealth of knowledge and instruction around here to help you with anything you feel inspired to tackle.

Thank you ! That's very helpful. Any other upgrades changes you would recommend that were good "band for the buck " ?

Any other 1800 owners out there that have opinions of good Upgrades for the 1800 ?

Other than the trolling motor, the one that sees the most use is the tackle center in the side of the console opposite the door. So nice having tools, rigs and supplies ready at hand. Either a combo drawer/tackle box unit or a multi drawer unit produces much needed storage on this size boat. But in either case, get at least one drawer for tools as opposed to just Plano boxes.

Congratulations on a very informative tutorial! I must commend you on your ability to share your wealth of experience and expertise in a clear and concise manner.
I thank you for sharing your journey. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Back