1999 2520 DV Repower help

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon bobbitt

Reaction score
I have a 1999 2520 DV with a 300 Verado 6 XL
It was running great then after 14 hours starting losing power. it would not go more the 3500 to 4000 rpms. Help
#1 14 Hours on the new Verado 6 xl and losing power, is my motor too low?
#2 Before the power issue I have a 17" pitch prop and only get 5600 rpms . I think it should go higher.IMG_0854.jpegIMG_0986.jpeg

It's too hard to tell what's wrong with your engine or if it's mounted too low from your picture.

There are lots of variables involved.

My Mechanic left a rag in my gas tank that was the problem 🤬View attachment 33402
Wow, I have some questions; more information please.... Was the rag left where it's shown in your picture? (Half way out of the hole?)... Was the rag down in the tank, and you 'fished' it out with the lure? If so, how would you have known there was a rag in the tank in the first place? How would you have assumed there was a rag down there? Did the mechanic tell you he dropped a rag in your tank? If it was an 'open hole' why was gasoline not sloshing out?

I have a 1999 2520 DV with a 300 Verado 6 XL
It was running great then after 14 hours starting losing power. it would not go more the 3500 to 4000 rpms. Help
#1 14 Hours on the new Verado 6 xl and losing power, is my motor too low?
#2 Before the power issue I have a 17" pitch prop and only get 5600 rpms . I think it should go higher.View attachment 30679View attachment 30680
I run twin 4s 140 Suk's... gets 40 mph just under @5800

Andy,
I had the boat re-powerd. We mad a run to the islands and only on the way back it wouldn't go pass 3500 RPM. the Machanic said it was bad gas and I would need to bring it back for him to flush the tank and charge me more MONEY, I said no way, he was supposed to have clean my tank when I re powererd boat. I rememberer seeing one of his guys cleaning it with a rag and a hanger so I went out and got a pump and gas cans and started doing it my self and then looking in I saw something so I got one of my hooks and caught a rag. That Mother F_ _ _er and I pulled it out. We can do work are selfs remember that.

...I rememberer seeing one of his guys cleaning it with a rag and a hanger so I went out and got a pump and gas cans and started doing it my self and then looking in I saw something so I got one of my hooks and caught a rag. That Mother F_ _ _er and I pulled it out. We can do work are selfs remember that.

Could you take another run at explaining what you did so I can try to figure out what you're talking about?

There really is no need to clean the tank unless there is a lot of sediment in the bottom of the tank, in which case a rag will not help. The baffles inside the tank would impede any cleaning by a rag. Fuel by it's very nature will keep the tank clean. I just replaced tanks on a 2801 CC and the inside of the tanks look brand new. The outside? Not so much. I would seriously question the shop that you had do the repower. Care to share?

My Mechanic left a rag in my gas tank that was the problem 🤬View attachment 33402
One of the best photos I’ve ever seen on cp. Once again, if you want the work done right do it yourself. Also who drops a rag in the tank and doesn’t say anything! Idiots. Nice catch with the lure. Change your fuel filters and hope your engine is ok. And that’s a colt sniper so your are going in SoCAL. What shop was this?

Last edited:
Back