2002 2520xl fuel tank replacement

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodytoofl,

How did you attach the come-along to the tank? Can't see it well from the pics. On my tank the only opening in the tank is for the fuel sender unit.
Since you wont be re-using the tank you can pull it from any existing hole or make a new hole then make/use a slip T- hook (like a molly bolt) or any hook for that matter.

Woodytoofl,

How did you attach the come-along to the tank? Can't see it well from the pics. On my tank the only opening in the tank is for the fuel sender unit.

i used the sender hole for access, put my long a$$ screwdriver through horizontally and threaded it in a shackle. I clamped the come along onto the shackle. The screwdriver gave plenty of surface area in the tank to pull it.
Frankly I am terrified of that tank, and we were in some unsafe conditions through the course of this. I am glad it is out of my boat!

Progress report. Got all my supplies, made the run off the keys to nort ft lauderdale ... actually pompano beach. Merritt marine supplies the destination. Awesome folks, had my order ready to go when we arrived. 2 3/4 coosa panels, resin, cam, 1708, resins, foam, gel coat ... you get the idea.
Cleaned out the coffin, ground and sanded for awhile day, spread a ton of peanut butter, laid down csm where it needed, and sealed it nicely to cure with waxed gel coat. ...

well - tell the truth, I mixed my gel coat, but forgot to put the wax in m. Diuhhhh...
So tomorrow I will roll out Pva and let her cure. tank should be finished next week.

EE06CB40-DA0D-4891-933E-2EBBF2B77E0F.jpeg50985D38-15E6-4BCE-959C-9CB5740331EA.jpegE73A5359-4701-4C3C-82C6-C564200D4C5E.jpeg5515604D-7A45-4500-929E-97D40D306F4A.jpegFeeling like I turned the corner from ripping her apart to putting it back together.

Just got the call from the fabricator. Tank is done will ship tomorrow! Maybe see it this week .....

no real update, continued coffin work, it is ready to go. Cut out templates for the floor, continued general grinding and cleanup.

I decided I am going to paint the deck using alexseal and soft sand for texture. I am going to use the broadcast method. Alexseal is a bit more brush and roller friendly. That step though is a long ways away.

Back to making progress. I spent a lot of time getting to coffin right, laminated coosa board to fit the deck opening, grinding around the deck opening, and waited for the tank to arrive.

finally, the tank arrived Monday. So I got it in, foamed it, and plumbed it today. Tomorrow, hopefully I will start putting the deck together. Might even lay glass8C610011-CFC0-4653-8338-71C52A25C3CE.jpegE3E14FD7-0001-4978-AC8B-70246B525BAF.jpeg4DA45B87-2269-4C53-8BEC-D92A2752E5C3.jpeg24FA5315-82A5-4559-8F87-284AB288FFF6.jpeg

Back to making progress. I spent a lot of time getting to coffin right, laminated coosa board to fit the deck opening, grinding around the deck opening, and waited for the tank to arrive.

finally, the tank arrived Monday. So I got it in, foamed it, and plumbed it today. Tomorrow, hopefully I will start putting the deck together. Might even lay glass.
Your pictures answered a question I've had. I'm mentally preparing to do the tank in my 2530 when I see evidence that it needs it. I think I could tackle everything with the exception of rigging the tank out of/into the coffin. I guess a forktruck or cherry picker is going to be the only practical way to do that.

Are you planning on foaming the coffin flush with the top of the tank, and laying a strip of glass cloth across from the stringers to the tank to prevent water intrusion?

I am not. The foam is almost flush bow and stern are, the sides 3/4 up. Am I am good with that, it is not going anywhere.

trying to understand your question. I really did not have a water intrusion problem, my best guess is electrolysis. where is failed was seriously pitted, and it was on the top right stern, not even down where the foam was. I did seal all holes ( including the factory foaming holes) and made sure the coffinis tight. Having an air gap on top doesn’t bother me.

I think the big win is the epoxy coat on the tank, and doubling the thickness.

we got the tank out with a come-along and manpower. My neighbor and friend has a bobcat and it really help in the install. The tank is relatively light 175 pounds, so it wasn’t crazy to handle.

Good luck - big project. I just hope the finish looks good

I am not. The foam is almost flush bow and stern are, the sides 3/4 up. Am I am good with that, it is not going anywhere.

trying to understand your question. I really did not have a water intrusion problem, my best guess is electrolysis. where is failed was seriously pitted, and it was on the top right stern, not even down where the foam was. I did seal all holes ( including the factory foaming holes) and made sure the coffinis tight. Having an air gap on top doesn’t bother me.

I think the big win is the epoxy coat on the tank, and doubling the thickness.

we got the tank out with a come-along and manpower. My neighbor and friend has a bobcat and it really help in the install. The tank is relatively light 175 pounds, so it wasn’t crazy to handle.

Good luck - big project. I just hope the finish looks good
Right, understood. It's just that often the mode of failure for tanks is some sort of water intrusion onto the top of the tank, which then seeps down into the gap between the foam and the side of the tank, pooling and eventually causing corrosion. Filling the gap with foam up to the top, trimming it level, and covering with a layer of glass makes it impossible for water to get in there should you experience leakage in the future. It also requires a drain tube at the aft end of the coffin, so that any water that does leak in will drain to the bilge.

Like you said, with the epoxy coating, the tank will probably last you a good long time even if there is any water intrusion.

Progress today started well but ended not so. ... put it this way, I quit while I was behind!

made one more round with foam. Then framed in the floor supports. Glued and nailed the deck panel (laminated coosa).

here is where I screwed up. Mixed up peanut butter and filled all gaps and grinder goofs, then started laying glass. Fail!!!

should have let the butter cure, then touch things back up with the grinder before laying glass. Not happy at all.

so I backed out cleaned up and stopped for the day. Will grind off bad spots and start again.

04FE5E63-5AA7-4F5F-A8F4-1A9504B01E64.jpegA0BCF3BE-B9B8-4C40-9B2F-87BC19069243.jpeg431DC227-28A0-4F59-AB02-A9B00CE9B22C.jpeg

Last edited:
Rough in done. I ground off bad spots, spread peanut butter and layers of chopped strand matting, then another full layer of 1708. Sanding in between rounds and really paying attention.

last act tonight was to cover it with a coat of waxed gel coat to fill the weave some let her cure. Really pleased with the result.

fairing and finish is on hold, taking the rv to see the kids and grand baby, will be back in April. So I hit my schedule getting the gel coat on it tonight.DD2A805E-2895-49E6-8175-32D9B9822A80.jpeg70733B3F-B3FB-496A-91CC-06163D7AAF6A.jpegEFA1CF5D-4CBE-4E61-9593-4E2C7FFC6401.jpeg3446BE54-2EDC-45C8-A95C-ED64A09B190E.jpeg

Fairing next and the non skid. Going to use Alex seal and soft sand for finish. Going to match the Parker colors - best I can anyway.

Right, understood. It's just that often the mode of failure for tanks is some sort of water intrusion onto the top of the tank, which then seeps down into the gap between the foam and the side of the tank, pooling and eventually causing corrosion. Filling the gap with foam up to the top, trimming it level, and covering with a layer of glass makes it impossible for water to get in there should you experience leakage in the future. It also requires a drain tube at the aft end of the coffin, so that any water that does leak in will drain to the bilge.

I have really thought about your post pelagic2530. Too late now, but it really makes sense. I was on a roll with my plan in my head when I pushed through getting the deck put back together. Putting a waterproofing layer between the tank and foam certainly would have been an easy way to greatly reduce future issues. Hope folks who follow this in the future pay attention.

As for progress, I am essentially on hold until I get beck from the road trip to see the grand baby. But I have gathered my supplies to get this baby across the finish line.

I have been studying the finishing videos on boatworks today, Andy really does a great job demonstrating products and application of them. I decided to go the alexseal route, and use soft sand for the non skid.

so I purchased the 501 topcoat (oyster white), 440 primer, the necessary catalysts and thinners, and the roll additive. I will be using total boat totalfair for fairing compound. There is an awesome yacht finish dealer in ft lauderdale, Gold Coast marine, and they really helped me with quantities and working through the mixing ratios, etc. they shipped it to me, and from order to at the house was 2 days! (Very impressive for Florida keys delivery)

this is my first time trying to do a high quality finish on such a large area. So I am both excited and a bit nervous. Figure I will take my time, and where I mess up, I will sand and redo. When I am done, the cockpit will be pretty much brand new. Looking forward to getting it bloody!

here are my finishing products...

1AE229F1-6BEC-4F8E-946E-3C99E0BF4EFE.jpeg

Hello all - after a monthlong trip to see my grand baby in Texas - and Elon musk blow up starship 11 - and other random facts. I am back on her hard.

Spent a couple weekends sanding, flailing, and hitting the deck with the long board of torture. Destination get it allflat!

F4E889D1-549C-494D-9271-E8CDF5F34541.jpeg

B498C770-D450-4AA9-8BCE-287A20347BB2.jpeg
then finish sand and clean up. Took the time to eradicate all screw holes, and filled them with peanutbutter topped with chopped strand matting.
5403EDEC-04FE-40AE-8157-E6B0CECDDCD3.jpeg

Built a make shift paint booth ..
E87E0B8C-6F3E-489F-BBF0-23384A62D3F7.jpeg

final sand to 150 all over, and three coats primer. Starting to look dag gone near showroom!

9A23E682-FAC4-4A85-8D24-5763DC7A5D3F.jpeg

9A001885-B474-40D5-8ECF-E9DA45E91B21.jpeg

sand everything with 320 grit, and paint/nonskid starts tomorrow.

bo

Paint and nonskid down. Used alexseal501 topcoat, oyster white, with c5012 brushing converter, r5015 brush reducer and their a5018 roll additive. 3 coats everything under the gunnel down. Then taped nonskid drain channels around the outside and then a coat of 501, sprinkled soft sand medium grit, and rolled out 2 501 coats on top. So over the last week I rolled out 6 total coats each within the 24 cure period.

3B98D7C3-8885-48DE-AE51-EE3AC614ECBA.jpeg7AE9C689-7F79-405E-88F3-20C97F2634B1.jpeg277BD680-A9CD-41B6-A54E-1640ED40C24A.jpeg

came out pretty dag gone nice, proud of the result. The Alex seal rolling additive it crazy, you can actually watch it push out air bubbles and flatten out.

Going to let it cure well, then reassembly begins. In the water next weekend???

here are the finished shots, tape pulled ...

443C7390-921E-4B25-89B9-5C07C62104F2.jpeg61B46D6B-4526-4FCA-9EC7-C5A3904E81AF.jpeg17B9F5FB-44FD-48B6-93ED-CC6246D8F73A.jpegC37F0B1C-65D5-40F9-8EA6-44287D62C93F.jpeg

Hey all, i'd like to ask. Has anybody ever coated their tanks in LineX bedliner spay coating? Seems like it would be a good idea and it's a non conductor. Or would epoxy coating be better?

Hey all, i'd like to ask. Has anybody ever coated their tanks in LineX bedliner spay coating? Seems like it would be a good idea and it's a non conductor. Or would epoxy coating be better?

epoxy is the recommended treatment, that is what I had done.

Final update. Since the patient was open I replaced pumps, hoses, and overhauled a bunch of electrical connections. Put her in the water, ran her back home, and put the tower back on.

5DAE8D6A-F53D-4EE7-9ABB-0BE3255AED45.jpeg
2D5FFB57-9016-4CAB-B59F-45CFE90F5118.jpeg

ready to rumble, fuel truck comes today, hope to fish next weekend. Long project, very pleased with the result.

Attachments

• 3BBE9388-6F2C-4804-89C4-7244A90F85FA.jpeg
    3BBE9388-6F2C-4804-89C4-7244A90F85FA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
Back