2003 2300 Center Console 155 gallon fuel tank leaking

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same boat. I have the 23 DVCC.

Here's a broader photo to help put everything in perspective (the hatch is right in front of the console). I have a 250 quart custom-built cooler up-front and between the seats.

In the 2nd photo, the aluminum hatch had not yet been installed.

Attachments

• IMG_8009.JPG
    IMG_8009.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7830.JPG
    IMG_7830.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 41
Yes, the anchor locker drains into that compartment (sort of). There is a false-floor already fiberglassed in place inside that compartment so no water hits any gear you have stored inside. Plus that compartment already has a drain installed going from the false floor to the true bilge.

I went through everything you did with the fuel tanks on my Shamrock. Apparently it's a common boat building practice to bed the tank with foam. Once salt water gets to it...and it will...it holds the salt water next to the tank and corrodes right through. The Shammy had an inboard small block V-8 and I was in the habit of removing the engine cover before I started in in lieu of simply running the blower. I had one tank leak and accumulate in the bilge, and the automatic bilge pump had removed enough of the water that what was left was pure gasoline. Highly likely that I wouldn't be here to tell this story if I had run the blower for 30 seconds and then hit the starter. I pulled the leaking tank out and you could see the holes. Got to wondering what the other tank that wasn't leaking looked like so I pulled that one out...the bottom ripped out of it when I got it away from the foam.

Fixed it, sold the boat and switched to an inboard diesel. Now I'm back to gas, but at least the engine is on the transom!

Aside from there corroded area of the tank and where it was leaking, what was the condition of the tank elsewhere overall?

Current progress photos attached. The new tank is in and foamed, with the damaged Yamaha cables replaced (and the routed through the port side opening). The Garmin fuel meter cables from when I installed are also routed over there now as well. I'll be back in town in about 10 days, hopefully to do some enjoyable boating again that week.

All of the deck other than the tank location that was cut out was rotten. Unfortunately the Parker practices of sealing/protecting the wood in openings they create is substandard. Had they done better sealing under the console and screwholes, or more importantly, prepped it like these folks will do such that no water can reach the plywood - I would not have to be replacing so much deck. At least the boss (spouse) will be happy because there will be 2 or 3 coats of new gelcoat on the entire deck.

GoodChance - thanks for your tip - I'll now have a bow deck plate installed as well.

56Q7v1-7411.jpg56Q7v2-7412.jpg

Note the penetrations coming up through the deck - had this been done originally - I would not be here. Regarding the console - Parker provides the bottom half as a solid piece. They then cut their wiring penetration square hole through it and the deck all at once. The console was not sealed perfectly (doubt you ever can), leakage then got under the perimeter and went to the tank hole, then saturating the wood (rotting it) and dripped down on the tank (initiating the corrosion cells). According to these guys - and they do ALOT of tanks, many manufacturers are the same. Hopefully this one will never have issues again.penetrations.jpg

I'm guessing it's to late......Butin the pix that shows the tank Black and reinstalled.....We now cut the foam flush with the top of the tank....Then come in with 4in or 6in wide fiberglass cloth and bridge over the foam...Going up where the coffin is and over on top of the tank. This seals the foam and top of tank, so if a piehole leaks ....[and they do] No water can get into the foam.....Furthermore a limber tube.......-PVC tube is installed at the ass end of the coffin...even with the top of the tank....So any water laying on top of the tank can escape to the bilge.

Picking the boat up tomorrow. The task was around 85 man hours to replace the tank. I had other things done as well outside that scope. The deck looks great - you can't tell anything was done.

GoodChance - thanks for the tip! The space in front of the console below the deck is cavernous! What a wonderful spot to store stuff. I'll likely build a false floor down there so that drainage from the bow anchor box doesn't get it wet.

Back