2004 Parker 2501- fuel tank leaking

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you going to sheeth over everthing in the bottom? Raising the tank.
Basically, building a platform that will put the tank at the original level it was at, which will leave between 5-8" between the bottom of the platform and the inside of the hull- depending on where you measure. The original tank had that much foam under it.

Hey there I read your original post and scrolled to the end. Is the Parker tank still available?

Cut the old tank in half.......This is after it is used as a templete to build a new one....And after you have flooded it for several hours to remove the gas smell. It's worth about $50 scrap price.

I guess I didn’t put much thought into that question. 2005 is much longer ago than it feels like.
You are welcome to it if you want to come to Wilmington and pick it up, its still at fabricator's shop. There are holes in it though. I got my new one Friday. Hopefully I can get some time to work on it between Christmas and New Years.
IMG_4469.jpg

Who built your new one? What did it come down to price wise? I’d love to have his contact info Wilmington is close by.

Dan at Monster Metalfab… in Dutch square. $3500 and they did it in 2 weeks. Caught them at a good time between jobs.
Damn well it looks like they did a good job, did you shop around? 23 dollars a gallon is a lot, I know things are crazy expensive these days but it wasn’t to long ago it was 10 dollars a gallon.

Yeah, RDS in Florida, who made the original tank, told me $4k plus freight, but they’re not doing replacement tanks “for the foreseeable future “, but they gave me the drawings and told me what they would charge for it. Another friend of mine in town said ballpark $5k, but he was pricing in 1/4”, not 3/16”. He was 3 months out anyway. Didn’t check with Pete, but Dan knocking it out in 2 weeks for less than oem part worked out perfect… aluminum has def gone way up from the last time I bought any

Yeah, RDS in Florida, who made the original tank, told me $4k plus freight, but they’re not doing replacement tanks “for the foreseeable future “, but they gave me the drawings and told me what they would charge for it. Another friend of mine in town said ballpark $5k, but he was pricing in 1/4”, not 3/16”. He was 3 months out anyway. Didn’t check with Pete, but Dan knocking it out in 2 weeks for less than oem part worked out perfect… aluminum has def gone way up from the last time I bought any
Well damn. Sounds like you did your homework. I’m considering going poly. I may make a Separate thread if anyone has any experience having custom poly tanks made. I’m really not looking forward to cutting out my deck. This is how I’ve been rolling lately during tuna season. Got a couple 20 gallons and a 50 gallon transfer.

Attachments

• 1F0CFB42-7857-4FF8-BE22-FF432443D278.jpeg
    1F0CFB42-7857-4FF8-BE22-FF432443D278.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Well damn. Sounds like you did your homework. I’m considering going poly. I may make a Separate thread if anyone has any experience having custom poly tanks made. I’m really not looking forward to cutting out my deck. This is how I’ve been rolling lately during tuna season. Got a couple 20 gallons and a 50 gallon transfer.
Also it was a diesel to outboard conversion. Once I do the tank I’m going to move my batteries and glass that stern hatch down with a bomar access port

Depending on what you may do with your boat considering poly....inshore vs. offshore. Myself I would not go poly but you need to consider how you use your boat.

Depending on what you may do with your boat considering poly....inshore vs. offshore. Myself I would not go poly but you need to consider how you use your boat.
Offshore boat. Are you suggesting poly tanks are not durable? Seems like more and more manufacturers are moving to these tanks. Just like some insight to your pov.

Also it was a diesel to outboard conversion. Once I do the tank I’m going to move my batteries and glass that stern hatch down with a bomar access port
I gotcha, I looked at poly tanks but seemed like over 150 gal had to be custom and I figured that would be a lotta money. If you do aluminum tank and mount it properly it will last longer than matters, by 2-3 generations probably.

I got really busy at (cabinet)work since early December and haven’t gotten to work on the boat… I’ll def post pics when I get back on it tho

I gotcha, I looked at poly tanks but seemed like over 150 gal had to be custom and I figured that would be a lotta money. If you do aluminum tank and mount it properly it will last longer than matters, by 2-3 generations probably.

I got really busy at (cabinet)work since early December and haven’t gotten to work on the boat… I’ll def post pics when I get back on it tho
Yea roger thank you. I own 2 boats made in 1990. This one and a wellcraft. And well this one getting the fuel tank before the 1990 wellcraft. I feel like they have came a long ways since then also so I’m goin to have to just keep researching I guess. When you do get around to it I would love to have those specs. This tank looks exactly like mine.

Scratch that I read your original post. Mine is 150 gallon.

I had an Aquasport with a 74 gallon poly tank and no issues, To me an offshore boat needs an aluminum tank foamed in rather than a plastic tank of comparable size but again just my opinion.

Back