2004 Yanaha 200 HPDI

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured if this didn't fix it I would idle it 3 miles down the creek to a boat ramp and take it to a mechanic. Now it's on a lift and won't start. Might see if a mechanic can come to it. Psyching myself up to pull the VST off again today and see what I can do.

Vst filters can be root cause of a lot of problems it seems. I replaced mine this off-season and my engine definitely is running better.

Took the VST off again today to make sure I didn't bung up the float. Replaced the fuel bulb, the old one must have a bad check vakve, and got it to run. Still won't rev up above an idle. Time to get it to a professional.

So, I messed with the neutral safety switch. Put it in reverse and it bent the metal tab backwards. Took it off and bent it back. Checked it with an ohm meter and it works. Didn't make any difference in how it runs. Tore into the VST and put in new filter. Started fine and I revved it to high idle. When I idled it back down it died. Now it won't start. Doesn't fire at all. The manual says to release the fuel pressure before working on the VST, but there wasn't any pressure in the system. Bad fuel pump maybe?
There is a shrader valve in the vst that you can check the pressure on. Not sure what the spec is. Also did you try pumping the ball while the engine was running ?

There is a shrader valve in the vst that you can check the pressure on. Not sure what the spec is. Also did you try pumping the ball while the engine was running ?
Hello,
Fuel pressure spec is 39.8-51.2 psi. Here is a photo from the Yamaha service manual.

Glad to see there is good HPDI fellowship here on CP.

Thanks!IMG_20220424_073400640.jpg

Have you tested the low pressure fuel pumps? Loosen the two mounting bolts and squeeze the bulb. If you see /smell gas diaphragms are leaking.
Good point.

Rod, if you have the patience you may want to check your two low pressure fuel pumps; especially since you pointed out yesterday your primer bulb was faulty. Below is a photo from the Yamaha service manual for checking these simple fuel pumps. Good luck with the mechanic if you go that route and wishing you success soon.

Thanks!

IMG_20220424_094114476.jpg

Hello,
Fuel pressure spec is 39.8-51.2 psi. Here is a photo from the Yamaha service manual.

Glad to see there is good HPDI fellowship here on CP.

Thanks!View attachment 32822
I had one, it ran great! The only issue I had with it was fouling plugs from tro
Good point.

Rod, if you have the patience you may want to check your two low pressure fuel pumps; especially since you pointed out yesterday your primer bulb was faulty. Below is a photo from the Yamaha service manual for checking these simple fuel pumps. Good luck with the mechanic if you go that route and wishing you success soon.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Guy at church I sold my old boat to recommended a mechanic to me. I'm going to leave it to a pro at this point. It's not at all like working on a Chevy V8.

Hopefully when you get the motor running, do yourself a favor, and replace your water separator from the original 10 micron filter to a 2 micron (S3220SUL) it fixed 90% of my problems.

I had this happen to me on my 01 175 HPDI.
100%. This was the root of my rom issue. The metal ‘tang’ became bent and would not activate the micro switch. Over greased throttle linkage seeps into the two small Switch screws. One of my screws was missing. Such a small simple thing that often gets trouble shot after expensive fuel troubleshooting! Best of luck!

Got the boat on a trailer today and delivered it to a mechanic. Had to idle it 4 miles down the creek to a ramp. Would run OK at 1000 rpm but start missing at 1100 rpm. I hope it*s an easy fix.

Got my boat back today and it runs great. Mechanic basically cleaned out the fuel system on the engine, replaced filter screens at injectors, and worked on the high pressure pump. Although, with gas prices what they are I might not run it a whole lot this summer.

Got my boat back today and it runs great. Mechanic basically cleaned out the fuel system on the engine, replaced filter screens at injectors, and worked on the high pressure pump. Although, with gas prices what they are I might not run it a whole lot this summer.
Great to hear! I'm sure you will enjoy the boat with the quality time you spend on it. It seems replacing the 'magic' filters did the trick. Thanks!

You've already checked and changed several fuel filters, but there could still be a blockage or restriction in the fuel lines or a problem with the fuel pump or injectors.

What kind of engine oil do you use? I can recommend Castrol 03084 EDGE 5W-30 It reduces friction and wear and tear.
You may want to consider checking the fuel pressure and flow rate to make sure they are within the manufacturer's specifications. It's also a good idea to check the spark plugs to see if they are fouled or worn, which can affect engine performance.

Back