2005 2520scxl 250hp Yamaha repower

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish Knots

Reaction score
Curious on opinions on similar boat and upgrades...
I have a 2005 2520xl near mint condition...with a single 250hp yamaha Modified V Hull 4000hrs+/-

weighing the options and performance of going to 300 or 425hp or twin 200 or 225hp (adding new Armstrong bracket as well)

I've had this boat for 10 years (2nd owner) bought with 75 original hours on it!

0307211712.jpg0309212037.jpg0315201326a_HDR.jpg

Man I think you’d be hard pressed to beat the 4.2l Yamaha 300 motor. It’s is a very strong motor, infallible reputation.

I would be curious however about twin 150 4 stroke yamahas. Also very strong and infallible reputation. The i4 Yamaha 200’s suck in my opinion. They are loud, they put out similar hp as the 150’s.

If you wanted 200’s, I’d take a very hard look at Suzuki 200ap’s. They are freakin badaxx.
If it were me, I’d be looking at the Yamaha 300 Or Suzuki 300.
That 425 is still fairly new technology, and the long term reliability and dependability has yet to be field tested just due to how new it is...
My 2 cents...

Man I think you’d be hard pressed to beat the 4.2l Yamaha 300 motor. It’s is a very strong motor, infallible reputation.

I would be curious however about twin 150 4 stroke yamahas. Also very strong and infallible reputation. The i4 Yamaha 200’s suck in my opinion. They are loud, they put out similar hp as the 150’s.

If you wanted 200’s, I’d take a very hard look at Suzuki 200ap’s. They are freakin badaxx.
If it were me, I’d be looking at the Yamaha 300 Or Suzuki 300.
That 425 is still fairly new technology, and the long term reliability and dependability has yet to be field tested just due to how new it is...
My 2 cents...

Good Info!! Thanks (Yes Suzuki would be my 2nd option)

we have the same boat -2005 as well- and have twin 150s. They push us along fine and never felt we were in a situation where we needed more power even loaded up with a bunch of people and gear. Overall, in most conditions I don't think we could actually go faster even if we had the 200s since the sea conditions dictate speed. I think the 300 single would be fine for you and you don't need to modify the bracket. If you going to go twins the 150s are fine.

We bough our boat with only 68 hours on it as well.!

I repowered my 2005 Parker 2520 two years ago with a 2019 SuzukI DF300APXX. I have 398 hours on the new engine, thus far it has been excellent.

Curious on opinions on similar boat and upgrades...
I have a 2005 2520xl near mint condition...with a single 250hp yamaha Modified V Hull 4000hrs+/-

weighing the options and performance of going to 300 or 425hp or twin 200 or 225hp (adding new Armstrong bracket as well)

I've had this boat for 10 years (2nd owner) bought with 75 original hours on it!

View attachment 28056View attachment 28057View attachment 28058
2-more cents; We have the 2520 XLD with single Yamaha 300... It's been a great engine, and I prefer maintaining one engine.... BUT, (here's that But again) if I were to change out to something different, I'd go with twin 200 Suzuki's... jmo.

I have an 04 2520xl w/225 hp and considering a repower as well. I was told by Parker and Armstrong that my bracket is good only to 250 hp and I would need a new bracket if I upgraded to a single 300 hp. Obviously a new bracket needed for twins but I was very surprised to hear a new bracket would also be needed for a single 300 hp. It has to due with torque, not weight.

I have an 04 2520xl w/225 hp and considering a repower as well. I was told by Parker and Armstrong that my bracket is good only to 250 hp and I would need a new bracket if I upgraded to a single 300 hp. Obviously a new bracket needed for twins but I was very surprised to hear a new bracket would also be needed for a single 300 hp. It has to due with torque, not weight.

That strikes me as someone covering their ass on liability. The 250s & 300s are the same engine with the additional HP coming from programming. When you look at the performance tests between boats with same maker 250 v 300, typically not a lot of difference in performance. Nothing on Earth would convince me that a boat that can safely handle a Yamaha or Suzuki 250 could not handle a 300 from the same company.

On the other hand, you could save a few bucks and go with the 250 and play by the rules.

Noticeable operational performance difference between a single 250 and a single 300 of the same brand will be minimal.

I repowered 2 years ago with a df300, very same boat as yours, you can search here on the site for others as well. I've seen no difference in the construction of the platforms from when the 300 came out. Design-wise it's only 50hp more and 68 pounds heavier than my old 225 and I can't believe they'd cut specs that close. "Hang the Suzi and send it"! lol

I repowered 2 years ago with a df300, very same boat as yours, you can search here on the site for others as well. I've seen no difference in the construction of the platforms from when the 300 came out. Design-wise it's only 50hp more and 68 pounds heavier than my old 225 and I can't believe they'd cut specs that close. "Hang the Suzi and send it"! lol

I have 2 seasons and 390+ hours with a 2019 Suzuki DF300APXX transom mounted on m 2005 Parker 2520, replacing a 2005 Yamaha F225 that I ran for just shy of 1900 hours when it went “BOOM”.

The difference between the new Suzuki & the old Yamaha is VERY noticeable in both performance and fuel economy.

So far the Suzuki has been an absolutely outstanding upgrade......

Twin engines......More drag.....More weight.....More maintenance. No......It will Not plane on 1 engine.....This is because of the way it will be proped with twins.

When I built my Mako....I put twin DF-140 Suzzy's on it......Hindsight.....The boat would have performed even better with a single DF250.

Yes I4 200XCAs which are fly by wire and the hull is an XLD which is a deep V. Swapping out the props made a big difference in lifting the transom. The PropTech lowered my planning speed to about 14 MPH and decreased my fuel burn at cruise. I can now do a full power start without trim tabs and never loose sight of the horizon. The only down side (if you consider it a down side) is I lost about 2 MPH at WOT. Top picture is three blade Yamaha props. Bottom picture four blade PropTech props. I'm not sure why you would think it would handle better with a single verses twins. around the dock I rarely touch the wheel. I maneuver the boat like a skid steer with the throttles.

IMG_2790.jpegIMG_2915.jpeg

Back