2018 Yamaha F200XCA Exhaust Corrosion

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antidote

Reaction score
Just under 600 hours and the standard rotation engine of my pair just burned through. Glad I bought the Yamaha Extended Warranty.
1788b02f_1770_4afe_8d48_e6ec0a4a4c7c_5c6ba0adc713f82f5ee02a57e72b7d3e2abe6a2c.jpeg

It's a known problem. More common with F150s just because there is so many of them out there. It's dry exhaust erosion. I did everything right with these engines and it still happened.

Flushed for 20 mins after every run.
Propped for 5900 RPM WOT.
Non E marine gas with Ring Free from day one.
Not too much idle time 38% 0-1000 RPM compared to 43% 3000-5000 RPM.
I even used cowling covers to prevent rain water from going in the exhaust port.

I'm going to call the dealership today and see what they say. I have the YES warranty until 10/2024

I dropped her off at the dealership this morning. Hopefully Yamaha says YES will cover it and the parts are available. If they both happen I’m looking at about a two week turn around.

Just under 600 hours and the standard rotation engine of my pair just burned through. Glad I bought the Yamaha Extended Warranty.
1788b02f_1770_4afe_8d48_e6ec0a4a4c7c_5c6ba0adc713f82f5ee02a57e72b7d3e2abe6a2c.jpeg
Antidote what is that yellow fitting thing you have connected to the rinse hose connecter? Does it make connecting and disconnecting easier as I have always struggled with that procedure?

It is a quick disconnect and yes it makes life much easier
Thank You Antidote and could you please share with me the specifics on your quick disconnect and where you purchased it as I noticed we both live in the same area?

Thank you again Antidote for your excellent PM description of your quick release motor rinse build. You might consider posting it on the Forum so others may benefit as well.
Maybe on a different thread

I stopped by the dealer today. I am amazed at the damage. The exhaust guide, oil pan, muffler, manifold and even the upper casing are being replaced. Basically everything in between the power head and the lower unit including the cowling half. Here is a picture of the muffler.

9728a3f7_2ba7_494f_a435_4861a84968d0_d5a1266883eadd6c458f83c8b63f0d06dbd8ac44.jpeg

everything cover by the extended warrant; but, the question is availability of parts.

I'm with you on wanting to know what happened. I have the left engine to worry about also. The dealership mechanic said he doesn't know why it happened. There was no sign of overheating. He also said , he had never seen this on a 200. I guess my engine was put together on a Monday morning with parts made on a Friday afternoon.

I will offer this, I did notice a change in the sound of this engine about 5 hours before the hole popped through the left side of the cowling. It had a deeper, throatier sound at start up. That was probably when the muffler failed. I did remove the lower and look up the exhaust; however where it failed is covered by the manifold so it couldn't be seen. After that is when the collector failed and burned through the cowling. So if you hear something different get it looked at.

This is pretty amazing,sorry it happened to you. You might have better luck now with parts as things are starting to loosen up. Last December my lower blew on my 300 and my only option at the time was to get it totally rebuilt. The mechanic had a tough time finding all the needed parts.

I'm with you on wanting to know what happened. I have the left engine to worry about also. The dealership mechanic said he doesn't know why it happened. There was no sign of overheating. He also said , he had never seen this on a 200. I guess my engine was put together on a Monday morning with parts made on a Friday afternoon.

I will offer this, I did notice a change in the sound of this engine about 5 hours before the hole popped through the left side of the cowling. It had a deeper, throatier sound at start up. That was probably when the muffler failed. I did remove the lower and look up the exhaust; however where it failed is covered by the manifold so it couldn't be seen. After that is when the collector failed and burned through the cowling. So if you hear something different get it looked at.
Antidote, In an earlier post on this thread you mentioned that you kept an engine cover over your coweling to keep water from entering. Do you think that may have prevented air circulation and contributed to the corrosion in our extreme humid environment?

Last edited:
I'm as big of a Yamaha outboard fan as you will likely find .... but I've also had to replace 4 dry-exhaust midsections on 4 different F225 outboards all manufactured in the 2002-2006 time frame. All of mine looked similar to the OP's with deteriorated aluminum alloy.

I was under the (false) impression that Yamaha had corrected their metallurgy problems after 2006. Apparently not!!

Antidote, In an earlier post on this thread you mentioned that you kept an engine cover over your coweling to keep water from entering. Do you think that may have prevented air circulation and contributed to the corrosion in our extreme humid environment?
I would think the warmth in the engine when I put the cover on would dry the air. It would most certainly be less water than rain considering the amount we have had this year.

also the cowling cover covers the above water exhaust port. the main exhaust through the prop stays open. My lower units aren’t even touching the water when I bring them up on the kick stands. Heck the anodes on my brackets aren’t in the water either. They can’t even claim it’s electrolyses from someone else’s boat

Back