2018 Yamaha F200XCA Exhaust Corrosion

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with you on wanting to know what happened. I have the left engine to worry about also. The dealership mechanic said he doesn't know why it happened. There was no sign of overheating. He also said , he had never seen this on a 200. I guess my engine was put together on a Monday morning with parts made on a Friday afternoon.

I will offer this, I did notice a change in the sound of this engine about 5 hours before the hole popped through the left side of the cowling. It had a deeper, throatier sound at start up. That was probably when the muffler failed. I did remove the lower and look up the exhaust; however where it failed is covered by the manifold so it couldn't be seen. After that is when the collector failed and burned through the cowling. So if you hear something different get it looked at.
Was your 200 "making oil" ( gas dilution of oil)? This is a known issue with the 200 but Yamaha will not "accept" it as an issue. Just wondering if this issue could lead to a catastrophic failure such as yours. I wish you best in getting it repaired...something like that (or "oil making") should not happen to modern technology engines.

I would think the warmth in the engine when I put the cover on would dry the air. It would most certainly be less water than rain considering the amount we have had this year.

also the cowling cover covers the above water exhaust port. the main exhaust through the prop stays open. My lower units aren’t even touching the water when I bring them up on the kick stands. Heck the anodes on my brackets aren’t in the water either. They can’t even claim it’s electrolyses from someone else’s boat
I said this earlier, but once again I'm sick you're having to deal with this. Thank you for sharing this great post, pictures, information and description of this issue. I've been actively boating since the 1960's. I've had 2-strokes, diesels, I/O's, inboards etc.... never have I seen anything like this... Now, we boat 85% + in brackish water, and yet I still fresh-water-flush the engine for 15-20 minutes EVERY time I run the boat.... I also keep a Yamaha cover on the engine 100% of the time that I'm not using the boat; I can't imagine that's a factor?.... I can hardly wait to learn what the experts conclude as the cause.

Last edited:
Was your 200 "making oil" ( gas dilution of oil)? This is a known issue with the 200 but Yamaha will not "accept" it as an issue. Just wondering if this issue could lead to a catastrophic failure such as yours. I wish you best in getting it repaired...something like that (or "oil making") should not happen to modern technology engines.
Yes both of my engines made oil. Both at an equal rate which diminished over time to a very little amount. I never let them go above the full line on the dipstick. I have it all documented in oil analysis from Blackstone Labs. What helped the most was filling to 1/4-1/3 on the dipstick with each oil change of conventional Yamalube 10W30. No synthetic oil. Both engines ran for 598 hours without missing a beat until this happened and the only thing I noticed, until the hole in the cowling, was a change in the tone of the effected engine on start. Even with all the damage done they still made 5900 RMP at WOT.

I spoke with the dealer yesterday. I was told the last part needed should be here Monday and I would be up and running next week.

Well the part was delayed until today. They told me to come pick it up after lunch tomorrow. Just in time for the weekend.

Well now it's time for the port engine. No hole in cowling yet; but, she sure sounds like the Starboard did just before the hole showed. She goes back to dealer Monday.

Wow that is crazy! Did the dealer ever diagnose what caused the problem? Good luck and hope it is repaired soon.
They had nothing to offer. The only comment he gave was that they had no signs of ever overheating. I thought I have been doing everything right to keep these engines happy for a long time.

Dropped her off yesterday morning. With the short week because of Thanksgiving they plan to tear her down and get the parts ordered this week.

Back