2022 21'se finally home

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJBayhound

Reaction score
Everything went pretty smooth on test ride.
Boat feels much bigger than a 21' like described.
They threw some rod holders in the bow as part of deal but that's a hack job. They used screws to mount the free parker rod holders. So I gotta decide if I'm gonna bolt them with washers or a backing plate.

Attachments

• 20220608_174007.jpg
    20220608_174007.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 115
  • 20220608_174155.jpg
    20220608_174155.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 107
  • 20220608_173911.jpg
    20220608_173911.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 112
  • 20220608_173844.jpg
    20220608_173844.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 106
  • 20220608_173814.jpg
    20220608_173814.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 101
Yeah man, just do it. Order extra Parker rod holders and do them all if it at the same time. You can get West Systems repair kits that include a few pouches of epoxy, and for sure through-bolt and add backing plates. Put rods in your holders and angle the new additions to supplement what you have now. Don't forget to drill all your through -bolt holes before you epoxy coat everything. And this is a job for 5200 IMO. Test fit everything then tape bags or rags under the gunwales to catch the flow through. Use your mixing bowl to keep track of the epoxy status and wipe all the "hangers" or drips from underneath just prior to complete setup, so you backing plates will be flush. Epoxy cures pretty fast so it is a job you can do over several weekday nights, allowing everything to cure properly and be in business for the weekend. Don't get in a hurry and it will be awesome.

Saturday I'll have time to get out to get some more supplies. I have 4 "lees" rod holders w/ backing plates that I wanna see if those backing plates will work. Other than the rod holders the finish quality is amazing, no ruff unfinished fiberglass anywhere. Door/hinges are beefy, the main bildge access has some crappy plastic latches.
I'm not a betting man but I would bet all the rod holders are not sealed in anyway. I think the wood is exposed on the actual hole and I don't see any sealant squeezing out the bottom.
The guy that took us for a test ride had black running shoes on that put about 100 black marks on the non skid.
It's a nice boat that is bare bones and gonna be a pretty easy one to maintain over then next decade. Boat cover is getting ordered as soon as I get the t top on and foam cannon is getting ordered now.

Reactions: Efx
Get some mineral spirits for the 5200 cleanup. I usually wipe and throw the rag or paper towel out of the boat so I can't accidentally track it around. Get FAST CURE 5200 btw. If you get a whole caulking gun tube, the snout portion will harden, but you can punch small holes in the side when you need to seal screw holes etc, and the tube will seal itself again...then repeat.
You will need at least 1 beefy clean towel in reserve for the final screw/bolt cleanup in the rod holders.
Just suggestions man, you are the project manager. I fouled a few of these up before haha.

Last edited:
Everything went pretty smooth on test ride.
Boat feels much bigger than a 21' like described.
They threw some rod holders in the bow as part of deal but that's a hack job. They used screws to mount the free parker rod holders. So I gotta decide if I'm gonna bolt them with washers or a backing plate.

Like the no t top option and open bow, good choice, I prob would have went with max HP. But overall very nice.

I do like the look of the no t top, but after being in the sun all week I need some shade. It's gonna be a small hardtop. Just long enough to cover the bench seat and wide enough to shade the gunnels. I should have the top done within a month.

So currently I plan on getting backing plates sorted out first. Then I'm gonna pull the rod holders out. Make sure hardware fits. Light mechanical/chemical clean up and put fiberglass resin in the hole where the wood is exposed. Then I will 5200 all around the area and drop rod holder back in and tighten up bolts w/ the backing plate.
I will tape off area and have lots drop clothes and tubs to catch any dripping resin/5200.
Sound right for proper rod holder installation?

I do like the look of the no t top, but after being in the sun all week I need some shade. It's gonna be a small hardtop. Just long enough to cover the bench seat and wide enough to shade the gunnels. I should have the top done within a month.

So currently I plan on getting backing plates sorted out first. Then I'm gonna pull the rod holders out. Make sure hardware fits. Light mechanical/chemical clean up and put fiberglass resin in the hole where the wood is exposed. Then I will 5200 all around the area and drop rod holder back in and tighten up bolts w/ the backing plate.
I will tape off area and have lots drop clothes and tubs to catch any dripping resin/5200.
Sound right for proper rod holder installation?
I replaced factory cupholders ( towards bow) on my 2021 2100DV and the holes had the proper resin on them by the factory....no bare wood on any of the rodholders and properly sealed with what looked like 4200. Hopefully you will find the same.

The only thing I would add is put rods in all the holders before you drill the final bolt holes. That way you can make sure they are complementary to one another and symmetrical side to side (if that matters to you).

So after some research it appears that the parker logo rod holders are made by Gemlux. I contacted Gemlux to confirm that and confirm I found the right backing plates.
I do care about port/star sides matching at least for now and good call to make sue they point exactly the right direction. Once I get the backing plates for the stockers I'll have 10 total in the gunnels. I should be in good shape once I get them all in.

That will be awesome! While you are under the gunwales, looks for screws sticking through from the coaming pad bracket. I had a bunch that we in contact with wiring, and 1 was right on my dang SeaStar hose.

Saturday I'll have time to get out to get some more supplies. I have 4 "lees" rod holders w/ backing plates that I wanna see if those backing plates will work. Other than the rod holders the finish quality is amazing, no ruff unfinished fiberglass anywhere. Door/hinges are beefy, the main bildge access has some crappy plastic latches.
I'm not a betting man but I would bet all the rod holders are not sealed in anyway. I think the wood is exposed on the actual hole and I don't see any sealant squeezing out the bottom.
The guy that took us for a test ride had black running shoes on that put about 100 black marks on the non skid.
It's a nice boat that is bare bones and gonna be a pretty easy one to maintain over then next decade. Boat cover is getting ordered as soon as I get the t top on and foam cannon is getting ordered now.
Try woody wax on the non skid so black shoe marks don’t stick. They will just rinse off.

I added these to my boat I have a 21se like you and found I needed space for more rods….

Attachments

• 2BC302DC-0BA3-4478-9E46-D890A01F661D.jpeg
    2BC302DC-0BA3-4478-9E46-D890A01F661D.jpeg
    576.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 95939A32-539A-4F29-8827-C6B973626A7B.jpeg
    95939A32-539A-4F29-8827-C6B973626A7B.jpeg
    612.6 KB · Views: 29
Good info, there's no lack of non skid on this boat.
Since there is so much non skid, it's a "rule" no black soles..
I've always been a fan of 3m compounds/wax's but certainly not against woody wax just never used it.
I was 1st mate on a 42' Bert for almost a decade and we never waxed the non skid since it seemed to make it slippery. Is woody's wax not slippery? I guess it can't get any more slippery then any other part of the boat where there's no non skid. I was in my late teens into mid 20's when I worked the cockpit so my memory may not be the best now that I'm almost 40.

Good info, there's no lack of non skid on this boat.
Since there is so much non skid, it's a "rule" no black soles..
I've always been a fan of 3m compounds/wax's but certainly not against woody wax just never used it.
I was 1st mate on a 42' Bert for almost a decade and we never waxed the non skid since it seemed to make it slippery. Is woody's wax not slippery? I guess it can't get any more slippery then any other part of the boat where there's no non skid. I was in my late teens into mid 20's when I worked the cockpit so my memory may not be the best now that I'm almost 40.
I wouldn’t use 5200, it’s permanent and if you want to take rod holder out won’t be able 4200 is plenty. Also unless you plan to troll from the rod holders, bolts with fender washers are fine….

The under gunnel storage is lacking but I'm gonna stick with the trident in a rod holder or 2. It's mainly only a issue on the trips where we bring the kitchen sink to be prepared for whatever the seas allow.
You did a nice job on the install man, functional and looks factory

We troll 16-48 oz mojos up here and bunker spoons w/ drails for stripers so they will see some abuse. Also hoping to sneak out to the inshore lumps a few times so may be trolling for tuna's. The wide tracker spreader bars used on the lumps put a lot of pressure on the rods as well. Maybe some hst for hoo's as well since they show up in late summer sometimes fairly close to home too.

Back