21' 1801 Crack in Bilge area

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amorris

Reaction score
Good Day All. I have what appears to be a crack in the bilge area as well as water. The bottom of the boat doesn't appear to be damaged. Any idea if this is something to be concerned about? I've searched the forums and have found some posts that indicate it isn't a problem while other indicate it could be a problem. I have reached out to Parker but it may be a few days before they respond.

Attachments

• Hull.jpg
    Hull.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Crack.jpg
    Crack.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 59
Looks like the top layer or the finish is where the crack is. Look at it very closely to verify the extents.

@Efx forgive my ignorance. Is that the top layer of the hull? Or the top layer of something else that is above the hull? There is zero damage to the bottom of the boat but there was water in the bilge. I'm worried that something is wrong.

The hull is laid up fiberglass. There are many layers. The inside of the bilge is the dry side of all the layers. Maybe just the top layer is cracked and not cracked all the way through. It could just be the gel coat on the top layer inside the bilge. It’s probably nothing and just a crack from a tool strike or from flex/ pounding. It’s very common for get coat to crack or craze since it’s brittle. If there is no flex you are good. Water in bilge is from rain / condensation

With no evidence of external influence it looks like it would be a warranty repair and whomever does the repair do not accept sub-par workmanship. It needs to be ground back to remove all delaminated material. Not just sealed over!

Back