2100 DV Fuel Tank Replacement

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatnyota

Reaction score
Hope everyone is doing well, this will be my first post on the site. I bought this 2100 DV at the beginning of the year and was able to use it for a little this summer before I started noticing problems which lead to the pictures below. I knew that this was a possibility when I bought the boat due to the age and other stories I have heard. I took the boat to a local yard to let them do the fiberglass work, I removed the console before, they have just removed the tank. I picked it up and it's currently at the welding shop. I'm think about getting a bed liner type material sprayed on the tank to extend the life.

Also I wondered if anyone had ever made a compartment from the floor area in front of the tank. I am going to look at this area again when I go back to the boat yard. Just wanted to make a few post if anyone else is facing this so they can see how process goes.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5649.JPG
    IMG_5649.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5652.JPG
    IMG_5652.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5654.JPG
    IMG_5654.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5746.JPG
    IMG_5746.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_5748.JPG
    IMG_5748.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_5749.JPG
    IMG_5749.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5750.JPG
    IMG_5750.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_5751.JPG
    IMG_5751.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5753.JPG
    IMG_5753.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5754.JPG
    IMG_5754.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 135
What year is yours? Appreciate the pics. Will be following.

After the tank is built....2- coats rolled on....of Coal Tar Epoxy. You need a roller cover that is for Epoxy.....[Youve been warned]

Lag bolt the tank in. Then it gets foamed in with 4lb density foam.....[Not 2lb and NOT Great Stuff]

Then the foam gets trimmed off flush with the top of the tank.

Then with 6in fiberglass tape..[10oz] cut lengths to go all around the permiter of the tank.
Fold the glass in half lengthwise....You want to form a 90.....3in on top of tank and 3in up the side of the coffin. Laminate it in.

At the back of the coffin.....A Limber hole.....even with the top of the tank is installed . Any water that gets in will then go to the bilge.....No water will ever get in the foam or to the sides /Bottom of the tank again.

This is How you fix it to outlast the boat.

Then with 6in fiberglass tape..[10oz] cut lengths to go all around the permiter of the tank.
Fold the glass in half lengthwise....You want to form a 90.....3in on top of tank and 3in up the side of the coffin. Laminate it in.
So your basicaly making a tray atop of the tank directing the water out the back to the bilge?

Yes.... We don't want water in there....Yet it does get in there from various sorces....mainly the pieholes.......Problem is....There is no way to really tell how much water gets in there.

Hope everyone is doing well, this will be my first post on the site. I bought this 2100 DV at the beginning of the year and was able to use it for a little this summer before I started noticing problems which lead to the pictures below. I knew that this was a possibility when I bought the boat due to the age and other stories I have heard. I took the boat to a local yard to let them do the fiberglass work, I removed the console before, they have just removed the tank. I picked it up and it's currently at the welding shop. I'm think about getting a bed liner type material sprayed on the tank to extend the life.

Also I wondered if anyone had ever made a compartment from the floor area in front of the tank. I am going to look at this area again when I go back to the boat yard. Just wanted to make a few post if anyone else is facing this so they can see how process goes.

Thanks
Brings back memories of replacing the tank in my 23DVCC 5 years ago. It was not fun but necessary.

When I have a new tank built.....I add some extra's.

Sending unit flange : Most are drilled and tapped thru the 1/8in.

I have a 1/2in alum flange welded to the tank. Use TefGel on your fastener threads.

Vent :

I have the vent tube in the stock location, But T off of it and have another in the back of the tank.
Why? Have you ever had a tank you have to fill at slower speeds? Dual vents you can go wide open at the pump....and 80 - 100 + gals takes a long time at 1/2 speed filling.

Tank is also upgraded to 3/16 material.

Curious what your new tank cost? Really nice how quickly you got it built!

What about baffles?

Thats a given.....Tanks usually have 2......dividing the tank in 3 sections....The corners get sawn off at a 45deg angle so fuel can flow back and forth.

Tanks average around $12-$13 gal.

When I have a new tank built.....I add some extra's.

Sending unit flange : Most are drilled and tapped thru the 1/8in.

I have a 1/2in alum flange welded to the tank. Use TefGel on your fastener threads.

Vent :

I have the vent tube in the stock location, But T off of it and have another in the back of the tank.
Why? Have you ever had a tank you have to fill at slower speeds? Dual vents you can go wide open at the pump....and 80 - 100 + gals takes a long time at 1/2 speed filling.

Tank is also upgraded to 3/16 material.
You are using a second overboard vent ? or the just the one?

After the tank is built....2- coats rolled on....of Coal Tar Epoxy. You need a roller cover that is for Epoxy.....[Youve been warned]

Lag bolt the tank in. Then it gets foamed in with 4lb density foam.....[Not 2lb and NOT Great Stuff]

Then the foam gets trimmed off flush with the top of the tank.

At the back of the coffin.....A Limber hole.....even with the top of the tank is installed . Any water that gets in will then go to the bilge.....No water will ever get in the foam or to the sides /Bottom of the tank again.

This is How you fix it to outlast the boat.
did it rarely on tanks but when coating aluminum with epoxy we would sand it in. Sanding with the wet epoxy coating on to expose fresh aluminum. The bond is monster good. bonding to clean unoxidized

Would you mind sharing the cost of the fiberglass deck repair? Trying to get a ballpark idea and see if it is worth doing myself. Thanks.

did it rarely on tanks but when coating aluminum with epoxy we would sand it in. Sanding with the wet epoxy coating on to expose fresh aluminum. The bond is monster good. bonding to clean unoxidized

I don't understand what your saying? "Sanding with wet epoxy coating?

First I wash the tank down....2 rag methiod with wax & Grease Remover.......Sand tank with 180gt on a DA sander......wash the tank down again ....2 rag methiod with wax & Grease Remover. tape of flanges and roll 2 coats of coal tar epoxy on the tank.

Back