2120 and 2320

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offshorejunky

Reaction score
Great site guys! I am trying to decide between three boats right now and thought I might get your input. I am looking at a Parker 2120 or 2320, a Defiance 220 and a Steiger 21 or 23. As with all things there are things that i like about each boat and things that I don't like about each boat. I really like the price of the 2120 but I don't like the battery boxes in the back or the side facing bench seat. Same issues with the Steiger. I like the cabin in the Defiance and the batteries are located in the cabin so it has an unobstructed transom with a little more fishing space and a full transom with motor bracket. But only one dealer in Florida and they don't have this model in stock. They said that they are planning to start building the boat in Florida ( it is built by the same guys that own Shamrock boats) but for now I would have to fly to Seattle to see one. I also like the fact that there are lots of Parker dealers in Florida BUT, I am a little frustrated by the fact that they are all so territorial. I don't want to open that can of worms, I disagree with the way they set territorries, but that is my issue. My main problem is this. There is only one Steiger dealer in florida, kind of one Defiance dealer and lots of Parker dealers. I plan on buying from a local dealer if at all possible but how can I know I am getting a fair deal on a Parker. If I am out of line let me know. But if any one feels comfortable sharing what they paid for there boats or what dealers are selling boats for in your area. I am not trying to beat a dealer up so he doesn't make any money, but I don't want to be the sucker that pays way more than he should have either. I looked on Yachtworld and boattrader and no dealers are listing there prices for new boats. I like the Parker reputation and obviously you guys love your Parkers. Is there any plans for a 2120 with a motor bracket in the near future? Just curious because that is really what I would like and may even wait if there was something like that in the works. PS the 2120 is more of my price range along with the 21 steiger and 22 defiance. The 23 is a little much for my budget, but i know it would cure alot of my concerns. Thanks in advance. Hopefully all that made sense. :?

Hope this helps: This was a reply I got from Parker regarding my question of whether the 2120 will ever get a bracket outboard.

"Boats that are 23’ and larger are better suited for a full transom and bracket since they have more running surface and will perform better with the additional weight aft. The 21’ model will perform better with the engine mounted directly to the transom therefore we do not have plans to incorporate a full transom on this model."

I've had my eye on the 2120 for a while, but I just cant get comfortable with that big notch out on the transom. If you also favor a bracketed outboard like me, the 2320 would have to be the way to go.

Good luck!
Bob (Lake St. Clair, MI)

Bob":j6i7xll9 said:
I've had my eye on the 2120 for a while, but I just cant get comfortable with that big notch out on the transom.
I hear that the 2120 can be purchased with a 30" shaft motor so that the cut-out is 5" taller in the stern ...

I bought a 2120 in Feb. and love the boat. I have not had any problem with back wash and it can get rough on the Chesapeake By. :D

Megabyte......

A friend is auctioning it for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0040397291

With only 19 hours you can imagine that this boat is in Mint condition. It's loaded with Garmin electronics including Radar. Yes, it is totally "Tricked out and clean"! By the way, the Lawmar Profish Windlass in the photo is terrific. It provides both free-fall and power down options.

I regularly fish with 6 people and have decided to move up to a 2520.

Beautiful! Someone is going to get a great turn-key fishing machine.
BTW - When you do sell her, tell the new owner about ClassicParker. :wink:

Good luck with the future 2520 and let us know when you commission her. 8)

Thanks for the responses. What is the main reason some of you guys went with a Parker over some of the other brands and perhaps even those I mentioned. What do you think are the biggest advantages that Parker has compared to other Pilothouse boats?

offshorejunky":1pbw6307 said:
Thanks for the responses. What is the main reason some of you guys went with a Parker over some of the other brands and perhaps even those I mentioned. What do you think are the biggest advantages that Parker has compared to other Pilothouse boats?

Your questions have been covered in a number of past threads, by a number of members.
Go back to the last page (page #8 I believe) in the "All Parker Boats" forum, and work your way forward to find the different discussions.

You could use the search feature, but this board is young enough (Feb of 06) that you could probably do a scan of past comments pretty quickly to find some good observations.

Or... begin a new "Why did you buy a Parker?" thread and get fresh answers from the newer members! :wink:

offshorejunky":jpf5pq93 said:
What is the main reason some of you guys went with a Parker over some of the other brands and perhaps even those I mentioned.
To tell the truth, when I was looking at a new(er) boat, I never considered Parkers for 2 reasons ... (1) I couldn't afford a new one and rarely saw used one for < $30K (my budget was $25K max) and (2) to me they were always too plain looking, with that "all beige" fiberglass everywhere. Ick!

Luckily, I solved #1 by finding an abandoned hull-only that Harvard Univ once owned. I bought it for short $$ and rebuilt her myself. That also resolved issue #2, as I was able to finish her out in more of a downeast type of style.

What do you think are the biggest advantages that Parker has compared to other Pilothouse boats?
Compared to 27' Easterns: Wider beam, more stability, almost twice the usable space in the HUGE Parker cockpit. I am sooooooooooooo glad I didn't buy an Eastern 27'.

Compared to other PH models: Quality of the build process, layup, and strength of materials used. These boats are strong, built like a brick s#$thouse! FWIW my 25' SC got repeatedly rammed on the starboard side by a 32' cabin cruiser in a Nor'Easter storm, when the other guy slipped his mooring. People on the river estimate his boat hit mine no less than 15 to 20 times before they cut him off his mooring and moved it out of the way.

All it did to my Parker was to shear off the heavy SS bowrail off of the deck and tore the stanchion plates right off the deck, shearing 1/4-20 bolts in the process. Yes I had to replace the rail, but to this day I don't have ONE stresscrack anywhere in the glass on that side. The "other boat" has long stress cracks down his forward-quarter topsides for 6' to 8' in length.

I also believe that the Parker blend of strength, beam, and weight make it ride much better than a comparable length or deadrise "other brand" boat. No boat is perfect, in fact all have compromises, but a Parker is the best all-around bang for the buck IMHO.

Once you stand in a Parker you will know why. I have lived on the Chesapeake Bay all my life and have owned or been in all types of boats. The Parker is simple classic quality. :D :D :D

In a nutshell:

Parkers: Excellent build quality. No frilly stuff to break or wear out. Easy to keep looking good. Tough as nails. Very fishable. Good factory support. I like the looks. They didn't cheap out on hardware or design. Seaworthy.

Vs. C-Hawk: I think C-Hawks are a good value. They are not built as tough as a Parker. They are not as pleasing to the eye (mine). C-Hawks don't have the cabin layout I prefer (closed back, high freeboard, exaggerated flare).

Vs. Judge: Less attention to details, esp. fit and finish. I like the fiberglass panels to be finished on the ends, not covered with cheap plastic trim to hide rough edges. I like the step down cabin so I can see over the top from the fish pit (in the Parker). I also like the lower profile and the rigging details (in the Parker). I didn't like what I saw when I looked under the gunnels and in the hatches (in the Judge).

Vs. Maycraft: I didn't like the solutions to cockpit drainage. I did not like the thin-ness of the top. I did not like the higher cabin. Fit and finish of the Parker was superior, esp. wiring. Parker seemed to have nicer install of options.

These are my thoughts. You may/may not agree. That is your prerogative. I chose the 2120. You may choose what suits YOU. Ride before you buy or you're crazy. We who love boats are an opinionated lot. We who love Parkers are generally honest about our craft. Ask us what we don't like about them and you will get even more information which may help you make a decision. It also might confuse you even more!

Good luck with your purchase and here's hoping you find joy in ownership of whatever boat you choose.

Back