2120 Trolling Motor 36V Lithium

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

federicojake

Reaction score
Reaching out to the trolling motor and wiring gurus.
2014 2120SC with Yamaha F150XA
Went with a 72" 112lb 36V TM, and a single Ionic 36V 50AH Lithium battery.
Still trying to sort out the charging as there is no shore power at the dock.
Leaning towards a Stealth charger- and interested in knowing how well that will charge of the 12V starting battery.
Also seeing if anyone has prior or current experience with a single 36V 50ah and duration of use versus remaining charge of battery
Thank you

I'm in the process of wiring up a yandina trollbridge. Haven't tested it out yet. Hopefully I'll be in the water next week.

yandina trollbridge will not work with a 36V Lithium battery. I don't care for them anyway. I've talked to the owners.

a typical 24V or 36V Lithium battery. [the ones I've installed] comes with it's own special charger. The battery must be charged with that charger. The chargers are NOT a "Marine" style charger. IE: made to charge the battery but not left in a marine environment. Your choice is simple.....You take the battery home with you and charge it..Then bring it back each time.

A 36V weighs aprox what 1 Gp31 DC weighs. By the way....It also needs a custom built battery tray.

MinnKota now offers on-board marine lithium chargers...I think it is the Precision lineup (PCL models). Just be sure it is the newer model and that it states lithium compatible. There are still a ton of the older non-lithium chargers being sold. Just warning you....they are in high demand and not easy to find!

Last edited:
The new Newest NoCo chargers have a Lithium mode......Having had several different Minkota chargers in the past.....NoCo is the ONLY chargers I use.

BUT....This is irrelevant for Federicojake, as he has No electric power at the dock.

Furthermore.....The Minkota and the NoCo will NOT charge a single 24V or 36V battery....You must use the supplied charger that comes WITH the battery.

https://minnkota-help.johnsonoutdoors.com/hc/en-us/articles/4413522095895-Charging-Lithium-Batteries
Charger Compatibility

The Minn Kota Chargers are not compatible with single 24V and 36V Lithium Batteries.

No shore power in a hard one with a TM. IMO you will need to take the battery home and charge it.

I've got a 2520 with a Rhodan 120#/96", Ionic 36 with the onboard Ionic two bank 36/12. Depending on the day's conditions I can get anywhere from four to eight hours of use. I expect a Powerpole Charge any day (ordered it many months ago) and this will replace the Ionic charger handling it and more. The Charge will help maintain the Ionic battery during trips moving spots or leaving engine run at idle if needed. It also provides an emergency jump if needed, but from what I'm told I'll still need to plug into AC at the dock (the charge does this too) to give it a proper trickle charge to top if off. My buddy with a very similar set up to mine put the Charge on this winter and so far this spring has had nothing but rave reviews. I'll be able to share first hand info on the Charge and the system hopefully soon.

I'm not sure what you are asking me to explain. Right now my Ionic onboard charger (It's a two bank 36/12) does my 36v Ionic TM battery as well as one 12v (house) battery when at the dock hooked up to shore power.

The Powerpole Charge will replace this very soon (waiting on it's arrival) to charge as the dock (AC/shore power) as well as when running (DC)

So I spoke to (Kevin?) I believe who came out with the Stealth 1 Charger out of Tennessee.
I explained to him my boats configuration, and based on his feedback this is where I'm at.
He stands by the Stealth 1 charger, being able to provide a charge off of my starting battery with his DC unit.
Now, he offers a DC unit, an AC unit, and a combination "Pro Pack".
Due to lack of shore power, we see no need for the AC unit, or the Pro Pack.
The DC unit will send a charge to the 36V lithium.
He also builds these units to order, so he is kind enough to provide 30' of cable to get from the hatch at the stern to my 36V Lithium battery location inside of the pilothouse.
I plan on talking to him again today to firm up the details on my charger and hopefully have this sorted out

Interesting.
I need to Research more....I was not thrilled with the Troll-Bridge after talking to their people.

I had Stealth charger in a boat I previously owned. I wasn't impressed by the "charge on the run" feature and I had to upgrade the alternator to really benefit from it. The charger lasted about 3 years, then the heatsink melted the nylon spacer like the wicked witch of the west in Oz. Granted, this was a 2005-2006 model and they have upgraded their technology.

I'm with warthog on this one... I use NOCO for the majority of my batteries in my 23SE. I haven't purchased the NOCO Genius GX3626 36 Volt yet... as my GLine came with a charger. Again, this doesn't help federicojake.

Speaking of Lithium batteries. I spent a while researching brands, amp hour, 36v vs. (3) 12v, etc. I ended up landing on a GLine 360MAX 36v Drop In LiFeP04 Marine Battery (88Ah). So far, it's been a very good buy for $1400 with charger. Several reviews on Ah led me to the 88Ah. While a 50Ah will do the trick, some owners said that they drained the battery sooner than they would have liked.

I had Stealth charger in a boat I previously owned. I wasn't impressed by the "charge on the run" feature and I had to upgrade the alternator to really benefit from it. The charger lasted about 3 years, then the heatsink melted the nylon spacer like the wicked witch of the west in Oz. Granted, this was a 2005-2006 model and they have upgraded their technology.

I'm with warthog on this one... I use NOCO for the majority of my batteries in my 23SE. I haven't purchased the NOCO Genius GX3626 36 Volt yet... as my GLine came with a charger. Again, this doesn't help federicojake.

Speaking of Lithium batteries. I spent a while researching brands, amp hour, 36v vs. (3) 12v, etc. I ended up landing on a GLine 360MAX 36v Drop In LiFeP04 Marine Battery (88Ah). So far, it's been a very good buy for $1400 with charger. Several reviews on Ah led me to the 88Ah. While a 50Ah will do the trick, some owners said that they drained the battery sooner than they would have liked.

psantinelli ; what outboard were you running?

Reaching out to the trolling motor and wiring gurus.
2014 2120SC with Yamaha F150XA
Went with a 72" 112lb 36V TM, and a single Ionic 36V 50AH Lithium battery.
Still trying to sort out the charging as there is no shore power at the dock.
Leaning towards a Stealth charger- and interested in knowing how well that will charge of the 12V starting battery.
Also seeing if anyone has prior or current experience with a single 36V 50ah and duration of use versus remaining charge of battery
Thank you
Hi, I’m about to install a minn kota terrova 36v 72” on my 2120… sorry to hijack your post but I am still searching for a way to mount this thing… looking at shuttleslide right now but doubt I’ll be compatible with a pilot house configuration.
Thanks for any help you can offer

Back