23 SE Transom Problem

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorething

Reaction score
In 2002 I shopped long and hard to find a boat that met my fishing needs. I needed a boat that could handle the kind of snotty conditions one may experience in a large 12' deep lake, but could also fish in shallow marshes and bays. When I found the 23 SE I couldn't have been happier with my decision. The simple lay out combined with the shallow draft and big Parker bow make for the perfect compromise for my needs.

With that being said I am a little dissappointed with some transom issues that I have had and am looking for some insight. In 2005 a crack developed along the top of the engine well in the little flange that runs along the top of the transom. It ran the length of the engine well and is only about 1/2" deep.

The crack was repaired once in 2005 by a Parker dealer by simnply filling it with gel coat. Obviously the crack has re-appeared and I am looking for anyone that may have had any experience with repairing a similar problem.

Photos are attached and I appreciate any input.

Attachments

• transom crack.jpg
    transom crack.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 2,149
I'm sorry you are having cracking problems. I have not had this problem with my 2001 23 SE.

Attachments

• IMGP1396.JPG
    IMGP1396.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,093
I am not so sure filling the crack with gel-coat was the proper repair. Is that what Parker reccomended at the time?

What does Parker say about your current situation? I believe you have a 5 year warranty on your hull.

I had the same problem with my 1994 2520MVSC...Parker contracted a local fiberglass man. Void was filled in and I have had no problem since. This occured when the hull was approx 3 years old. I hope your repair turns out as well as mine did.

Call Robin at Parker and send the pics to her. It is however a relatively easy fix. You can go get the West Epoxy system of Resin and hardener and mix it together with some Microfibers until the paste looks like a thick pancake batter and fill the crack. It will seal it from moisture permanently as epoxy is waterproof and it will never let go with the Microfibers mixed in. It is probably not a structural issue but just a void that occurred during the layup as the wood is encapsulated at the transom and then the top is gel coated.

Hope this helps.

Doesn't look cosmetic to me. Appears that the exterior glass is separating from the wood transom sheets. Almost looks like the transom was overstressed somehow. I'd try to ensure Parker (not a dealer) gets a good look at it.

A friend of mine had the exact same thing happen on his 21DV. I think his boat is a 99 model, so it was out of warranty. The guy who fixed it in MHC was a former Parker employee. He said he had seen it once before and that it was caused by improper sanding when finishing the boat. To much glass cloth had been sanded away leaving mostly resin. It was not a structural problem. He called it the "top cap". He fixed it by laying more glass cloth, not just filling it. He did a good job. It looked factory. Parker did not pay for the repair, but they did pick up the tab for the R&R of the motor. If I remember right, the bill was less than 300.00 bucks.

tracey":hicxecyu said:
He fixed it by laying more glass cloth, not just filling it.

That would be the correct way.
Grind it out, lay in some fiberglass strips, grind it smooth, fair it out, then gelcoat.
Not a difficult repair for a good glassman. :wink:

tracey said:
A friend of mine had the exact same thing happen on his 21DV. I think his boat is a 99 model, so it was out of warranty. The guy who fixed it in MHC was a former Parker employee. quote]

"tracey", could you get the name and # of the ex-Parker employee who fixed your friend's boat? I am in need of some minor repairs.

Thanks.

Fishfactory,

I believe this is it.....

Rose Fiberglass
Terry Rose
252-723-0105

Hope that helps you out.

tracey":380x82r9 said:
Fishfactory,

I believe this is it.....

Rose Fiberglass
Terry Rose
252-723-0105

Hope that helps you out.

Helps a lot, THANKS !

I had a similar problem onone half of the well on my 1999 21' DVCC when I purchased it used in 2004. During my pre-sale inspection we also discovered that a similar repair had been done prior on the other side.

I'm sure Dale and Kevin will cringe, but I did the following to fix it. Got some penetrating epoxy from West Marine and kept dripping it into the credit in multiple coats so that it wouldn't absorb any more epoxy. Then I just filled in the crack with MarineTex and sanded it roughly to shape. Its in such a wierd spot the color mis-match is hardly noticable.

I've since beat on the boat pretty good over a couple of seasons and have had no further problems.

Good luck!

-- Tom

I am the owner of the boat that tracey was talking about.I had the same problem @ my transom,so I called Parker and they sent there eng. to my house to look @ the boat,He stated not a structural problem,but it could be if it gets worse and alot of water starts to penetrate to wood.When I firsted noticed it I immediatley caulked it up with silicone just to keep water out.He gave me the # for Terry Rose,he is located in Havelock,NC.He asked if Parker was covering any of the repair bill,which was no,For one the boat was out of warranty and I was the 2nd.owner,he was surprised at that.But he called and got them to remove the motor and reinstall it for free(better than nothing).Terry did and excellent job on my boat and even fixed some other minor cracks and installed new scuppers and explained what he did,it looks better than when it came from the factory.I did later find out that Parker probably would have covered it if I was the original owner :roll: Price was $450 out the door,and well worth it.

Back