2300 DV speed issue

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cman60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So 2017 with yami 300 went striper fishing yesterday and was jigging with wire and at 600 rpms boat was going 3.7 mph and I need 2 mph to bounce jig. Anybody else have this problem. Boat just in gear and going to fast.

Never had that problem, but then I've never fished like that....There are trolling flaps that can drop down right behind the prop......And probably why so many aux. small outboards are hung.

Reactions: Efx
Can you create some more drag with the tabs or trim?
Maybe try some more ballast on the boat?
Top off that fuel tank....and the cooler too!
New tabs aren’t working of course but what’s weird is that I did not have this issue last year. I changed hubs via ken at p gods to remove vibration ironically at 2.4 mph my jigging speed and now with new hub I’m going 1 mph faster at 600 rpms. Yami dealer says hubs have nothing to go with mph but it is only change from last year other than moving batteries into console. So very weird

So 2017 with yami 300 went striper fishing yesterday and was jigging with wire and at 600 rpms boat was going 3.7 mph and I need 2 mph to bounce jig. Anybody else have this problem. Boat just in gear and going to fast.
If it would not interfere with your in-water fishing gear, a drouge might help. (deployed off the stern).
1656268449717.png

1656268364751.png

You can drag buckets or a drift sock (or drogue) to slow down. You can also change direction to head into the current/wind rather than traveling with it.

You can drag buckets or a drift sock (or drogue) to slow down. You can also change direction to head into the current/wind rather than traveling with it.
Thxs for input I guess I was hoping other 2300 dv owners would chime in and share their slowest cruise speed just in gear

A 19" prop at 600rpm generates a forward movement of 11,400"/minute or 684,00"/hour or 57,000ft/hour or 10.8 mph with 0% prop slip. All of that said, at these low speeds, a 35% prop slip is expected so your speed at 600rpm with an 19" prop is likely 7 mph without considering wind or current.

The type of prop hub inserted in the prop has no impact on speed.

A 19" prop at 600rpm generates a forward movement of 11,400"/minute or 684,00"/hour or 57,000ft/hour or 10.8 mph with 0% prop slip. All of that said, at these low speeds, a 35% prop slip is expected so your speed at 600rpm with an 19" prop is likely 7 mph without considering wind or current.

The type of prop hub inserted in the prop has no impact on speed.
except maybe you did not figure lower unit ratio in?? divide buy 1.75 I believe for the 300.

I think you're over thinking this it's a good possibility you could have been getting pushed by current and wind going in the same direction. I jig wire 75 percent of the time I fish, next time it happens just bump it in and out of gear

I think you're over thinking this it's a good possibility you could have been getting pushed by current and wind going in the same direction. I jig wire 75 percent of the time I fish, next time it happens just bump it in and out of gear
Hi
Thanks that’s what I did. Problem is as the driver you can’t jig and go in and out of gear and speed did not change after doing a 180 which should have put us into tide and wind if we had been going with it. The boat is going faster than last year at 600 rpms and I don’t know why.

Curious what your performance numbers are with the 300? Trying to decide between that and a 250. Thanks!

Up here on Lake Erie we troll for walleyes from 1.7 MPH early in the season up to 3.2 later in the year. The use of trolling bags is very popular and the only way I know of to get your speed down that low, even with one engine shut off. Most use one bag on each side of the boat tied off to the spring line cleat. An added advantage is it really keeps the boat from rocking in a beam sea.

I've tried a couple of brands and have found Amish Outfitters to hold up the best. The West Marine's I used prior did not hold up well. On my 2510 I use a 36" on the side I'm running the engine, and a 28"on the opposite side. Amish Outfitters BEEFY Buggy Bag Trolling Bag

This also allows me to get the RPM's up a bit. I've heard from a lot of mechanics that it is not good for 4-strokes to run below 700 RPM's for a long period of time; at lease not my older 2005's. Tight lines ...

For a 2017 yamaha, doesn't it have a trolling mode from its electronic control center where you can slow down the boat?

I'll second and third the suggestion to drag buckets. That's a great trick I learned years ago for landlocked salmon fishing.

You can deploy them mid ship and keep them clear of your lines and prop. I've upgraded a bit and have used large planter pots that good sized shrubs/trees come in. The added advantage to the big pots is they are bigger than 5 gallon buckets and drain easily when you want to pull them in.

While a little rag-tag, they work well.

Back