2300DV Upgrades

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rseate

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After just completing my last offshore trip for the year this past weekend I've started contemplating my off season boat upgrades.
So far my list is as follows and would welcome feedback from others on ideas

• Spot Lock Trolling Motor
  • Radar
  • Autopilot
  • Built In Tackle Station

After just completing my last offshore trip for the year this past weekend I've started contemplating my off season boat upgrades.
So far my list is as follows and would welcome feedback from others on ideas

• Spot Lock Trolling Motor
  • Radar
  • Autopilot
  • Built In Tackle Station

Spot lock: (y)
Radar: (y), get the latest model supported by your MFDs, or if upgrading all electronics get the latest radar. The new radar technologies that have become available in the last couple years are amazing, light years ahead of even just a few models ago. Don't get hung up on the "range" as advertised; you're not likely to be able to see anywhere near that far just based on the height of the unit. Rather, look for power output and target definition. It used to be that you needed an open array to pick up birds; some of the new small dome units can do it now. Get it as high up as you can on a mount.
Autopilot: Awesome for trolling, not sure how I'd feel about using one at speed in anything other than flat-calm conditions. Most manufacturers offer models that will interface with your MFDs; I'd recommend one with a separate control unit so as not to clog up your MFD space. Remote control is also a hot ticket item to get with an AP.
Built in tackle station: (y)(y)(y), love the one I put in my 1700. I bought mine in a custom color Starboard with a custom locking latch from Boat Outfitters. I installed it in the "dead space" in the console, opposite the console access door right in front of the throttle and behind the control cables, where you're not ever going to store anything anyway. Plus, the extra hole in the console gives you another access point for working on electronics, control cables, gauges, etc.

If you have not already done so, relocate your batteries to the console under the helm. You can use one for the engine and another for house loads and charge it by connecting to the aux alternator charging lead. Really helps get some dead weight out of the stern and gives you more time to react in the event the boat takes on water.

I recently upgraded my radar to a Simrad Halo 20+. While it is only been on the boat a short time, I am impressed with the resolution and the doppler feature that highlights targets on motion such as vessels moving toward your position. You will also need a rate compass to achieve radar overlay on charts.

A VHF radio with an AIS receiver set up to send the data sent to your chart plotter is an excellent way to see vessels that transmit AIS. The new radios with NMEA 2000 interfaces make the connection simple.

What is a vendor for aluminum deck plates? All of the aluminum ones I have seen are big $$$.

Auto pilot is probably the single greatest invention of the modern boating world, no joke. I don’t know what I would do without it. For trolling it’s invaluable, for long trips it’s invaluable and prevents pilot fatigue. I run it in all but the sloppiest of conditions and I just have my cut off switch on and I’m right at the helm. Allows me to actually fish instead of minding the boat the entire time.

Auto pilot is probably the single greatest invention of the modern boating world, no joke. I don’t know what I would do without it. For trolling it’s invaluable, for long trips it’s invaluable and prevents pilot fatigue. I run it in all but the sloppiest of conditions and I just have my cut off switch on and I’m right at the helm. Allows me to actually fish instead of minding the boat the entire time.
I totally agree with your opinion on the Autopilot as I cannot imagine boating without one!

Figure $5000 for GPS spot locking trolling motor ( lithium batteries preferred)
Figure $2500 for Autopilot ( love my Simrad AP)
Figure $2500 for radar ( Simrad Halo 20+)

Out of all those add on's, the GPS spot locking is the number one thing to change your fishing days. THEN the radar, then the AP. My .02...

What is a vendor for aluminum deck plates? All of the aluminum ones I have seen are big $$$.

Why would you expect any less....LOL
Hamilton Marine has the biggest selection and where I bout 2 of them for different boats.....It makes a Night a day difference as to access, ease of cleaning.

Best advise I can give you......Make it BIGGER!

This is Very similar to the ones I installed

https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/pro...ectangle-16-x24-quick-release-lock-15298.html
https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/ine...=1&mode=searchstore&search[searchfor]=Hatches

Figure $5000 for GPS spot locking trolling motor ( lithium batteries preferred)
Figure $2500 for Autopilot ( love my Simrad AP)
Figure $2500 for radar ( Simrad Halo 20+)

Out of all those add on's, the GPS spot locking is the number one thing to change your fishing days. THEN the radar, then the AP. My .02...

Agree on the lithium batteries.
I’ll most likely go with the Garmin autopilot & radar since I’m running 1042’s & gmx54.

My fishing is inland Texas coast (bays) so my priorities are a little different (as well a my boat - 23' Big Bay). I just built & installed this in the
"basement" (under the console). It took 3 days and ~$270. I really like it although I would make it a bit small if I were to do it again.

Attachments

• IMG_1619.jpeg
    IMG_1619.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
Back