2300DV W/Bracket - Yami F250 - Motor Mount ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gman1001

Reaction score
Was able to get about 2 months on the new to me boat prior to yanking it for winter. Enough time to creat a list of the things that annoy me!

Note: Boat sits on a mooring. With the motor fully tilted up, a big part of the lower unit remains in the water. GRRRR. This is bad because the lower unit high speed water pickup become fouled with marine growth.

So, wondering if I can in part alleviate this by raising the motor on the mounts. (pic of existing mount position is below) When I put straightedge from transom to motor, the motor 'appears' to be properly mounted. This has me worried.

Anyone have experience with this issue and motor mounting on this boat?

E564E976-51BE-40A7-8303-41B1047D6857.jpeg

Every Yamaha I've owned and seen has had at least part of the lower unit submerged even when tilted up. I was just talking with a buddy about this yesterday, he has a Jupiter 32 and same issue.

I don't know why Yamaha hasn't figured this out. Hondas don't seem to have a problem tilting all the way out. Sorry, no help for ya but I can commensurate.

Hmmm. I would be inclined to do something with that crack on the bracket. Is there a matching on on the other side? I hate this situation for you. That corrosion would drive me insane. Are you able to see a lift or dry stack in your future?

Hmmm. I would be inclined to do something with that crack on the bracket. Is there a matching on on the other side? I hate this situation for you. That corrosion would drive me insane. Are you able to see a lift or dry stack in your future?
Yeah, I'm going to have a welder take a look at that. the crack is only on that one side and its in an odd spot. I suppose I could dry sail it, but I like to go at the drop of a hat. And the dry stack thing takes a bit of planning!

Every Yamaha I've owned and seen has had at least part of the lower unit submerged even when tilted up. I was just talking with a buddy about this yesterday, he has a Jupiter 32 and same issue.

I don't know why Yamaha hasn't figured this out. Hondas don't seem to have a problem tilting all the way out. Sorry, no help for ya but I can commensurate.
Hi Jgro808, Our 2520 XLD with Yamaha 300 tilts completely out of the water; the lowest part of the lower unit is about 3 inches out.... As you mentioned, I have seen a lot of others, with different boats where the tilted motors are in the water. I'd be concerned about corrosion, if the 'sacrificial' anodes/'zincs' are not wetted....

Was able to get about 2 months on the new to me boat prior to yanking it for winter. Enough time to creat a list of the things that annoy me!

Note: Boat sits on a mooring. With the motor fully tilted up, a big part of the lower unit remains in the water. GRRRR. This is bad because the lower unit high speed water pickup become fouled with marine growth.

So, wondering if I can in part alleviate this by raising the motor on the mounts. (pic of existing mount position is below) When I put straightedge from transom to motor, the motor 'appears' to be properly mounted. This has me worried.

View attachment 31267
I have the same 23DVCC and my 300 hp yamaha clears the water fully tilted

Raising the Engine? That will open up a whole other can of worms......We want our engines high......But not so high that they cativate.....and that is what your proposing.

Raising the Engine? That will open up a whole other can of worms......We want our engines high......But not so high that they cativate.....and that is what your proposing.
I agree, cavitation should be avoided. My engine is mounted on the middle hole of the 3 and I have no venting trimed down to 3, 2, or 1 bar. See picture this morning looking into the sun.

Attachments

• 20211109_072032.jpg
    20211109_072032.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

View attachment 31267

The older ones due this because they pre-date the heavier 4-strokes. Newer ones should not do this. Not sure when Parker started shipping 4-strokes from the factory but hopefully they corrected it. Frankly, I worry more about my scuppers being under water due to this same issue.

The older ones due this because they pre-date the heavier 4-strokes. Newer ones should not do this. Not sure when Parker started shipping 4-strokes from the factory but hopefully they corrected it. Frankly, I worry more about my scuppers being under water due to this same issue.
My scuppers are above the water line. I have most of my storage items, forward of the centerline. I change the bow ring every 5 years. 1000 pounds of concrete for a mooring, thirty feet of 1/2 inch chain I change out every 18 months and a back up 3/4 inch nylon rope. I regularly experience 50 mph storms being on the ocean side in the Keys.

I have the same boat, 2015 model, with a 300 Yamaha. I raised mine to the third hole down. There may be a big enough weight difference (I don’t know this for fact, just something to consider) between the 250 & 300 that warranted this change. Since moving the engine up my motor clears the water when trimmed all the way up and the boat performs much better with no cavitation.

I have the same boat, 2015 model, with a 300 Yamaha. I raised mine to the third hole down. There may be a big enough weight difference (I don’t know this for fact, just something to consider) between the 250 & 300 that warranted this change. Since moving the engine up my motor clears the water when trimmed all the way up and the boat performs much better with no cavitation.
I have had both the 4.2l 250 and 300, they weigh the same. The boat was designed with the old lighter 2 stroke these new 4 stroke weight 150 pounds more. That is why many original hull designs are stern heavy with the new engines.

I have had both the 4.2l 250 and 300, they weigh the same. The boat was designed with the old lighter 2 stroke these new 4 stroke weight 150 pounds more. That is why many original hull designs are stern heavy with the new engines.

Given this is true wouldn’t it make sense then that he can raise the motor another hole or am I missing something.

Given this is true wouldn’t it make sense then that he can raise the motor another hole or am I missing something.

It would probably still affect the distance/arm while on plane, which I would imagine would remain relatively constant despite weight differences.

Back